IGNORED

Who Pushes Off With Their Trail Leg?

1 minute ago, Ty_Webb said:

Right - this is what I meant when I said at least some of the misunderstanding is semantic. If your foot is applying a force to the ground, that's pushing (in my opinion anyway), even if the leg itself is not actively doing anything to push there. To go back to the hammer and nail analogy, a nail being banged into a piece of word is pushing into the wood, even if it's really the hammer that's doing the active work.

Well that's a very loose definition of the the word "push" IMO. My butt isn't currently pushing into my chair, but a force is exerted upon my chair simply because of mass of most of my body and gravity. My phone isn't pushing against my desk. My keys are being pushed when I type, but not the ones that I'm resting my fingers on.

Your trail foot has to exert a force simply because it's supporting portion of your body weight. That's not really a push. Or to put it another way, if I ask you to lean against a wall or push against a wall, you're going to do two different things, wouldn't you? You're not going to lean against the wall and tell me, "But I'm already exerting force on this wall, that's pushing."

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

Right - this is what I meant when I said at least some of the misunderstanding is semantic.

It's not semantics. Pushing is an active thing when used in this context.

My TV is sitting on my credenza/tv stand, but it's not really actively "pushing" on it. Gravity is doing the pushing, if anything.

29 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

If your foot is applying a force to the ground, that's pushing (in my opinion anyway), even if the leg itself is not actively doing anything to push there.

No. That's not how it's used, otherwise it lacks context and becomes non-sensical. You're always pushing with both legs even when you're actively doing the opposite (adding flex to the knee/hip). So, again, no.

16 minutes ago, billchao said:

Well that's a very loose definition of the the word "push" IMO. My butt isn't currently pushing into my chair, but a force is exerted upon my chair simply because of mass of most of my body and gravity. My phone isn't pushing against my desk. My keys are being pushed when I type, but not the ones that I'm resting my fingers on.

Yeah. Almost the same kind of examples I gave.

16 minutes ago, billchao said:

Your trail foot has to exert a force simply because it's supporting portion of your body weight. That's not really a push. Or to put it another way, if I ask you to lean against a wall or push against a wall, you're going to do two different things, wouldn't you? You're not going to lean against the wall and tell me, "But I'm already exerting force on this wall, that's pushing."

Good examples there too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Imagine you are in the squat machine at the gym. If your legs are fully extended, you can't push anything. You can support the weight. You flex your knees, taking the load onto your muscles. What motion causes pushing a weight. It is the extension of the knees. 

In the golf swing, you gain flex in lead leg. Which tells that the golf swing is priming to push off with the lead leg, not the rear leg. It makes no sense that a golfer would push off with the trail leg in the golf swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
9 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Imagine you are in the squat machine at the gym. If your legs are fully extended, you can't push anything. You can support the weight. You flex your knees, taking the load onto your muscles. What motion causes pushing a weight. It is the extension of the knees. 

In the golf swing, you gain flex in lead leg. Which tells that the golf swing is priming to push off with the lead leg, not the rear leg. It makes no sense that a golfer would push off with the trail leg in the golf swing.

You can "push" laterally, too, with trail leg abduction.

Studies show this is typically what bad golfers do. Brooks Koepka likely does a bit more of it than most, though, at the Tour level.

I'd call abduction a lateral push.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets