IGNORED

Hole Shortened Due to Maintenance

humblepeasant
Note: This thread is 1753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At my home course, there is a par 5 with the tees moved 200+ yards forward due to some maintenance they're doing on the fairway. With a solid shot, I can easily reach the green from the tee with my driver. According to the rules (for handicap score posting purposes), am I supposed to add a stroke to my score in this type of situation? There's nothing at the course indicating that I should (the sign with the par and yardages hasn't been modified). Thanks!

• iacas changed the title to Hole Shortened Due to Maintenance

Welcome to the site!  :beer:

For handicap purposes, treat it as if the hole was not played at all.  Post par, plus any handicap strokes to which you would be entitled.

For example, if your course handicap is 10, and this par-5 hole has a handicap rating of 6, you would ordinarily receive one stroke when playing the hole.  As such, you would post your par 5, plus your one stroke, for a net 6.   If the handicap rating for the hole is 12, as a 10 handicap you would not be entitled to a stroke on that hole, so you simply post par.  In this case 5.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Welcome to the site!  :beer:

For handicap purposes, treat it as if the hole was not played at all.  Post par, plus any handicap strokes to which you would be entitled.

For example, if your course handicap is 10, and this par-5 hole has a handicap rating of 6, you would ordinarily receive one stroke when playing the hole.  As such, you would post your par 5, plus your one stroke, for a net 6.   If the handicap rating for the hole is 12, as a 10 handicap you would not be entitled to a stroke on that hole, so you simply post par.  In this case 5.

@David in FL is absolutely right.  If you want to read it for yourself, this is Rule 4-2 in the USGA Handicap Manual

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14377

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Thanks, guys! My only question would be then, where do you draw the line? My example is obvious because it's such a drastic change. But tees are routinely moved a little bit periodically to different grass. Is 20 yards the line? 50 yards? Seems to me the course should have a sign to eliminate ambiguity (maybe they're supposed to). I suppose if the tee markers are simply outside of their normal boxes, maybe that's the line. Thanks for the help!!

I think if you have a question, ask in the pro shop before you post your score.  Minor changes shouldn't make a difference.  In theory things should even out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

5-2g Posting a Score from an Unrated Set of Tees on a Rated Course offers another option.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14379

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

5 minutes ago, Asheville said:

5-2g Posting a Score from an Unrated Set of Tees on a Rated Course offers another option.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14379

I agree, and it would be appropriate for the course (Handicap Committee if one is active) to do the calculation and let all members know the correct procedure if the construction is going to take an extended period to complete.  I believe the Committee would have the CR and Slope revised in the computerized system, so the change is made automatically when a player enters a score normally.  In general, to me its more appropriate for an individual player to use 4-2, while 5-2 is generally more appropriate to be used by the Committee or management.  I know if I'm on the Committee reviewing scores, I see that @humblepeasant played on Thursday, and entered a score with an odd CR and slope, I'll have questions for him.

Dave

I agree with your agreement. :)

• Like 1
"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Note: This thread is 1753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!