5 posts / 712 viewsLast Reply

Hi everyone,

a little while ago I was pounding drives dead straight 270 yards. This lasted about a week. Now I have and awful slice. It seems like for whatever reason, now I am taking the club back way to vertically. A few weeks ago I decided to work on shallowing my swing, really I feel like ended up reconstructing my swing. In the end I’ve gone for a hogan style swing. 

Now that I’m swinging shallower, I don’t feel comfortable. Not because of muscle memory or not enough grooving, it just doesn’t feel repeatable or like I was meant to move that way. I’m a wee bit torn because it eliminated my slice and seemed to make me pretty consistent. It also had my friends commenting on how my swing looked a lot like hogan! 

Im just not sure not sure what is the best course of action, stick with the hogan swing or go for something in between my old and new swings.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(the issue to me seems to be in the angle I take the club back)

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

My backswing ends with my left arm slightly above my shoulder, but when I swing with my left arm on the shoulder plane so that they finish parallel or slightly below it doesn’t feel right at all. It doesn’t seem like something that can be fixed by grooving this swing.

I don't think anyone can completely duplicat another golfer's swing. The two swings might look similar, but it's the little things done differently that sets them apart. 

Hogan had a great swing....for Hogan. 

I am a firm believer that the back swing sets up everything good (and bad) in the down swing. I can't remember the last time I saw a golfer with a good, "one piece take away" to the top, have a a poor down swing. I'm sure it happens though. 

I spend time every week going over my own one piece back swing. I believe if I start off good, I will finish better than if I didn't. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure if it will help, but I was fighting an issue the past month, what helped me was to slow down my back swing to make sure I was in the right position.  My back swing got really quick, which caused a lot of issues, I would try to slow your back swing down and see where that puts you at the top of your back swing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey ctm.  Post a video of your swing in the swing thread, mate.  Let us all have a look.