IGNORED

Aimpoint Green Reading, Extreme Slope

Note: This thread is 1755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I took the "Classic" Aimpoint class with the book.  My course has greens with extreme slopes, 6-7% almost everywhere.  Is there a way to translate the book into these extreme slopes?  Does Aimpoint express address this?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, inthecup said:

I took the "Classic" Aimpoint class with the book.  My course has greens with extreme slopes, 6-7% almost everywhere.  Is there a way to translate the book into these extreme slopes?  Does Aimpoint express address this?

I think this is where Express helps. You just use more fingers. With the Midpoint read method with the chart, I would just add a 3 and 2 read to get 5, etc. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• iacas changed the title to Aimpoint Green Reading, Extreme Slope

No way they have holes on that much slope, unless they are slow greens, the ball wouldn’t stop 

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

• Administrator

What course?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The course is Indianwood Golf and Country club in Lake Orion MI.  The played the Senior US open there a few years ago.  I went out with a digital level and measured it.  It’s not uncommon to have a putt that breaks 3 feet.   I attached a photo of the green reading book from the open.  I added the numbers that represent % slope.  The greens are not slow but you can’t run them up to 11,   The ball won’t stop.  

D2765EDD-8455-4F86-91E4-5357DFD4B896.jpeg

• Administrator

The US Senior Open was there not too long ago right?

They are not that steep where you’re gonna have 6s and 7s all day. AimPoint Express works fine.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 6/15/2019 at 7:22 AM, iacas said:

The US Senior Open was there not too long ago right?

They are not that steep where you’re gonna have 6s and 7s all day. AimPoint Express works fine.

No it won't be 6-7 all day but many will be over the 4% the the classic Aimpoint goes to .

• Administrator
14 hours ago, inthecup said:

No it won't be 6-7 all day but many will be over the 4% the the classic Aimpoint goes to .

Yeah, I don't know man. I helped a player prep for the U.S. Senior Open there and I don't remember many putts that were 4%+. You'll get them occasionally, but you need to be 90° to a 4% slope to get a 4% read, after all. Or at an angle approaching 50, 70… 90 to a higher slope to get 4%.

Do you have a specific green you could talk about? I mean, we may as well, since the original question has been answered already.

Even when you play old courses, which required the slope for drainage, it's rare to find greens with a lot of slopes above 5%. You might get a mound here or there, or maybe a tier, but for the most part the majority of the greens would be 1-4%.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

23 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Even when you play old courses, which required the slope for drainage, it's rare to find greens with a lot of slopes above 5%. You might get a mound here or there, or maybe a tier, but for the most part the majority of the greens would be 1-4%.

I have been playing this course for 11 years, yes every putt is not above 4.  But if you are out of position you can get slopes above 4 for sure.   The new greens keeper is putting pins in new spots.  If it ever stops raining he will find that they are not playable.  The ball will roll back to your feet.  

These are difficult greens.  They are not subtle.  

58A2446F-B1A4-4EC1-9377-18BC60073B10.jpeg

4C9A0858-8509-4E84-B3D4-CC627CA456D1.jpeg

F62071BC-C137-444C-BEC9-3804CFACA25A.jpeg

FA74B923-0644-459A-B7EE-B703060EC3E1.jpeg

Yea,  but the vast majority of the green is 1-3%. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

13 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yea,  but the vast majority of the green is 1-3%. 

Where on 9 is that?   If you have to putt through 6 using AIMpoint classic its 6.  I don’t understand express, perhaps that is different.  

• Administrator

Are there any photos of nine online? I don’t remember anything like that.

And those are percent slope, to be clear?

I also don’t understand the chart for 9. 15, 6.8, 10? So close?

7 minutes ago, inthecup said:

If you have to putt through 6 using AIMpoint classic its 6.  I don’t understand express, perhaps that is different.  

It's the same.

7 minutes ago, inthecup said:

Where on 9 is that?

First, those published charts are not that good. Where are the delineations between slopes on the bottom tier? There isn't any. It's pretty much a useless diagram other than maybe for approach shots. I would never use that for green reading.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Are there any photos of nine online? I don’t remember anything like that.

And those are percent slope, to be clear?

I also don’t understand the chart for 9. 15, 6.8, 10? So close?

I think the 15 is a typo. I tried to take a photos.   It does not translate well.  Here is three, camera level standing at the bottom.  9 is uphill the whole way. If you get above the hole and they get the green speeds up you are in trouble.  

0245279F-C636-49B9-91B9-B8E9BE45C077.jpeg

• Administrator

I think the 15 is a typo.

I think the 10 might be as well.

I tried to take a photos.   It does not translate well.  Here is three, camera level standing at the bottom.

Three I can believe. That green isn't that bad, and it has a tier in it, which you're almost never putting "across" (sideways).

9 is uphill the whole way. If you get above the hole and they get the green speeds up you are in trouble.  

I still don't quite believe that it's got large areas north of 6.

The 11th green at Lake View CC has 4-7% on the whole green, and yeah, above the hole you can be toast.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I think the 10 might be as well.

Three I can believe. That green isn't that bad, and it has a tier in it, which you're almost never putting "across" (sideways).

I still don't quite believe that it's got large areas north of 6.

The 11th green at Lake View CC has 4-7% on the whole green, and yeah, above the hole you can be toast.

I found some photos which might remind you what 9 is.

Here is a view from the tee.  Right is OB, It is a dog leg right.  If you go over the tree's you can aim to the front of the green.

KV0T0021-XL.jpg

Here is a view from the green back left of the green at the tee,  The trees on the left third are the ones you have to come over to aim to the valley

KV0T0006-XL.jpg

Here is the green, hard to understand the slope from the photo, that's the men's grill in the background. At the annual invite the crazyness that goes on in the grill at those windows is hilarious. They bet on everything, who will pull the pin, puts chips, sand shots all of it.

i-ghZGFZk-XL.jpg

A better shot of the green, the slope does not translate well into a photo.

i-s4VFd2R-XL.jpg

Since I am posting photos, I was a photographer at the event.

We have heather, Fred not the most pleasant guy you ever met. 

KV0T0254-L.jpg

This is a mild green, 14

KV0T0041-XL.jpg

All the player (except one) were great guys happy to be there really a lot of fun.

7J4D1489-M.jpg

Funk with his son on the bag

7J4D1501-L.jpg

Lehman

KV0T0383b-L.jpg

Watson

KV0T0235-L.jpg

KV0T1040a-L.jpg

• Administrator
On 6/18/2019 at 12:10 PM, inthecup said:

I found some photos which might remind you what 9 is.

A better shot of the green, the slope does not translate well into a photo.

i-s4VFd2R-XL.jpg

Since I am posting photos, I was a photographer at the event.

Yep, I remember it now. Tommy Armour III in our practice round couldn't keep it on the planet from the tee box with a hybrid.

I don't think the slopes are quite that severe. If they were there would not be more than like 1 or 2 pinnable positions.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:10 AM, inthecup said:

F62071BC-C137-444C-BEC9-3804CFACA25A.jpeg

You have a "4.5" marked in an area with almost no arrows, and a 3.6 nearby, neither of which are really even pinnable themselves. The 5 is not pinnable.

I'm not there, and you are, so while I want to believe you… I basically have a hard time remembering anything anywhere near this severe or that a set of greens like this could exist at anything above even about 7.5 stimp or so.

Note: This thread is 1755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!