IGNORED

Putt Hits Ball Wedged in Hole

Cantankerish
Note: This thread is 1737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was playing with a buddy today.  I made a long putt, flag still in, and I start walking to pull the ball from the hole.  The flag has the ball pinned in a state of having not fallen entirely in the hole such that the top of the ball is about even height with the green. He measures up and putts his fairly long putt also while I am approaching.  It has some extra tempo on it and it rolls right on over my ball and keeps going for a few inches.  If not for my ball, that was holed.

He is a great guy and just gave it another putt.  But we do not know what to make of that.  Should I be charged two strokes?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your ball was holed.  Why would you think you were due a penalty?

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

As your ball was holed it was no longer on the green. Fortunately for your buddy he did not incur a penalty. 

But why would you think you might have done?

And yep, by definition, no matter the reason, your buddy’s ball was not holed...

...and, if your ball not been holed, and he had hit it while putting on the green, he would have been penalized, not you.

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 7/8/2019 at 5:30 AM, Cantankerish said:

I was playing with a buddy today.  I made a long putt, flag still in, and I start walking to pull the ball from the hole.  The flag has the ball pinned in a state of having not fallen entirely in the hole such that the top of the ball is about even height with the green. He measures up and putts his fairly long putt also while I am approaching.  It has some extra tempo on it and it rolls right on over my ball and keeps going for a few inches.  If not for my ball, that was holed.

He is a great guy and just gave it another putt.  But we do not know what to make of that.  Should I be charged two strokes?

If just a small part of your ball was below the surface of the green - the ball is considered holed. (rule 13.2c) So no penalty - and your friend was just unlycky by hitting your ball and has to play his ball from the new position. 

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 1737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!