Jump to content
imgoinhungry

Can't Hit My Irons or Wedges… Help!?

11 posts / 574 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

Brand new to this forum and first time poster.  I just started taking golf seriously and have had a few lessons.  Prior, I could make good contact with my irons/wedges, but with an over the top swing.  My instructor is trying to get me an in to out swing.  Since trying to work on this, I cant make contact to save my life.  Everything dribbles a few yards on the ground or is shanked to the right.

My instructor says my back swing is great, but Im not using any lower body and not following through.  I have never shanked before, but do it all the time now trying the out to in.

Help!?  Only thing left I can think of is that I am too worried about hitting the ball and it is stopping my follow through?  Headed to range tomorrow and am flat out not going to think about the ball.  Just follow through and hope the ball gets in the way...

Frustrating game!  On a side not I could never hit the driver before.  Horrid slice... thanks to my instructor I am confident with that club now.

Any thoughts on my struggles with the irons/wedges all of a sudden?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

8 hours ago, imgoinhungry said:

Hi All,

Brand new to this forum and first time poster.  I just started taking golf seriously and have had a few lessons.  Prior, I could make good contact with my irons/wedges, but with an over the top swing.  My instructor is trying to get me an in to out swing.  Since trying to work on this, I cant make contact to save my life.  Everything dribbles a few yards on the ground or is shanked to the right.

My instructor says my back swing is great, but Im not using any lower body and not following through.  I have never shanked before, but do it all the time now trying the out to in.

Help!?  Only thing left I can think of is that I am too worried about hitting the ball and it is stopping my follow through?  Headed to range tomorrow and am flat out not going to think about the ball.  Just follow through and hope the ball gets in the way...

Frustrating game!  On a side not I could never hit the driver before.  Horrid slice... thanks to my instructor I am confident with that club now.

Any thoughts on my struggles with the irons/wedges all of a sudden?

I would recommend starting a My Swing thread in the Member Swings section. We can take a look and help you better when we see your swing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I would recommend starting a My Swing thread in the Member Swings section. We can take a look and help you better when we see your swing.

Will do.  I will try to get some video today. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, imgoinhungry said:

have never shanked before, 

Welcome my friend! I’m always here to help with those who have transitioned from one group to the other. Yes, there are only two types of golfers: Those who haven’t shanked and those who will. I’ve been a long time member in great standings, life time achievement if you will. I must second the advice from @boogielicious. He gives excellent advice and can find the humor in this devastating illness that I can only hope is very temporary for you. I must go now as I’m getting my hosels refinished. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a preface, I am not good at the game, but I make a good swing now and then.  I have noticed that when I hit well, I feel like I am hitting the ball with my right hip.  Which I think means that I am turning my lower body though.  When things go south, I often realize that I am arm swinging, and not really turning through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, jlbos83 said:

As a preface, I am not good at the game, but I make a good swing now and then.  I have noticed that when I hit well, I feel like I am hitting the ball with my right hip.  Which I think means that I am turning my lower body though.  When things go south, I often realize that I am arm swinging, and not really turning through.

Yes, arm swinging is probably my issue.  Not sure why I cant rotate... think it is mental.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, imgoinhungry said:

Yes, arm swinging is probably my issue.  Not sure why I cant rotate... think it is mental.

For me, I think it is trying to guide the ball, rather than trusting the swing and the club to do their job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jlbos83 said:

For me, I think it is trying to guide the ball, rather than trusting the swing and the club to do their job.

the concept of hitting down on it screws me up too.  I feel like I need to chop at it.  I guess I cant figure out the angle I need to strike the ball properly.

It is just maddening.  Before knowing anything about golf I could at least elevate the ball and get some distance.  Literally cant even do that now after a few lessons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the words "hit down on the ball" are over used.  Hitting down is the result of a proper swing, yes, but it isn't the goal of the swing.  I think trying to hit down is not the right thought.  I can't tell you what is, but trying to hit down never helped me get anywhere, other than digging a trench.  Trying to figure out the angle isn't helpful, I think.  Look at your club.  There is no way to hit down so much that the club doesn't still have plenty of loft, trust the club to do the work.  Once you feel it a few times, you will know the difference!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the range today and had improvement.  Was definitely hitting them off the hosel.  At setup, I placed the ball at the tip of the toe and was hitting them much better.  Probably not good that my club is moving so much that I need to do that...

Im also envisioning throwing the club towards the target... helping me rotate through better.  Still suck, but progress!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...