IGNORED

New Guy Alert

Donmega
Note: This thread is 1767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was apart of Golf WRX for years. Tired of the people on there fighting. The marshalls. It’s like Beverly Hills. And I’m a Country Low Key Kinda Guy. Not my Style. Hopefully I fit in here Better. 

So I love Golf. Play 1 -2 times Per Week. Practice. I’m a good ball striker. Have maybe a shade over average length. I just played today. I’m usually in the higher 80’s. Lowest round 81. Played Today. 94. 42 PUTTS!!! Some long. Most of them were 2 putt territory. I fail every week putting. I practice. I watch videos. Training aids everything! I do good on practice greens at home etc. I just can’t bring it over to actually play. I cant read greens. My alignment is crap. I chip ok. Would like to get closer on approach shots. But I’m just a weekend golfer. Easier said then done just saying hit it closer to pin lol. 

Any drills, books, videos, etc ANYTHING! I’m desperate. I’ve tried every Putter length, head style. It’s my speed. It’s my alignment. I hit the ball solid putting. Sweet spot 95%. Just either too hard, not enough, or offline. ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP!! Thank you 

Welcome to TST.  Glad to have you here.  My phone seems to want to recommend WRX articles to me, and most of the time when I read the article, I'm left wondering what I read.

One habit:  counting putts isn't a great way to measure how good of a putter you are, because it's partly a function of that, but also a function of how many greens you hit and how you respond to a missed green.  A 3-putt from 50' is very different from a 3-putt from 10'.  

Where was your starting point, relative to the pin, on each green?  It might be useful to calculate how many strokes someone of average putting ability for your handicap would take, and use that as a baseline to determine if today was or wasn't a good putting round.  

That having been said ... there probably aren't that many rounds with good, or even acceptable, putting where there were 42 putts, short of the ball being placed on each green adversarially.  So yes, your putting is a glaring weakness, and spending some time improving it is worth doing.

It's my big weakness too, by the way, so I hope we can improve together.

When you get some time, sit and read the following two threads from TST's instructional content.  If you don't have time to read through every page, click through and look at what the instructors are saying.

First, fundamentals of putting: 

Second, probably one of the best of the myth-busting instructional threads is this one:

Realizing that I need to not accelerate through it helped me quite a bit.  I had the "accelerate into it" stuck in my head for years

Now, for the "I can't read greens" part, is there an AimPoint clinic or instructor near you?  Ultimately, that's going to be the big game changer for a lot of people on that fundamental. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST! I think you’ll be very satisfied here and fit right in. Do you play Mizuno irons? I’m just assuming from your name. I recently started playing with Mizuno MP-54’s and just love them. I’m a leftie so didn’t have as many options with some of their lines only being right handed. But I definitely appreciate what so many say about Mizuno irons. Cheers.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 7/14/2019 at 9:01 PM, DonmegaMizuno53 said:

Hopefully I fit in here Better. 

Welcome to TST!

My experience here is that most participants appear humble, down to earth and have so far provided reasonable advice when I asked for it.

Nave

Note: This thread is 1767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!