IGNORED

How Dated Is My Gear?

Note: This thread is 1746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Mizuno MX-100 irons - I think these came out in 2008?
  • TaylorMade Burner - Pretty sure this came out in 2007

Obviously they are dated in years but I'm more curious about how dated they are in terms of technology with what's out now? Besides some iron sets being lofted stronger, am I really missing out on anything?? Don't get me wrong, I know I need new stuff but I do want to see what you guys have to say on the topic!!

• Like 1

:titleist:

Clubs don't get "better" all the time...they just change.  My irons are old...but I know them and hitting them farther would screw up my game.  I like knowing what they are up to and what is asking a bit much.  A club needs to produce a reliable result...not exceed expectations.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If those woods and irons still fit you, you should be okay with them.  Two of the 2019 professional golf majors was won with Titleist 755 irons, which predate the clubs you listed.  

Are you looking for an excuse to purchase new clubs?

TST isn't one of those golf forums that thinks you need sixteen new clubs every year to have a chance of being a "real golfer."

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

40 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:
  • Mizuno MX-100 irons - I think these came out in 2008?
  • TaylorMade Burner - Pretty sure this came out in 2007

Obviously they are dated in years but I'm more curious about how dated they are in terms of technology with what's out now? Besides some iron sets being lofted stronger, am I really missing out on anything?? Don't get me wrong, I know I need new stuff but I do want to see what you guys have to say on the topic!!

You’ve got nice stuff. Keep in mind the irons today aren’t just ‘lofted stronger’. Changes to perimeter weighting, MOI, all that stuff has given some irons some improvements regarding trajectory and distance. They didn’t just say, ‘oh what the hell let’s stick a 7 on this 6i.’ 

The only way you’ll really know if you’ll get some true benefit is to hit your clubs vs a new iron(s) you like and see what you get. But hey, getting new irons is awesome and always a damn good time!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, Shindig said:

Are you looking for an excuse to purchase new clubs?

Guess my excuse is that my current stuff is over a decade old and I want new equipment as I get my feel back for the game.

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

You’ve got nice stuff. Keep in mind the irons today aren’t just ‘lofted stronger’. Changes to perimeter weighting, MOI, all that stuff has given some irons some improvements regarding trajectory and distance. They didn’t just say, ‘oh what the hell let’s stick a 7 on this 6i.’ 

The only way you’ll really know if you’ll get some true benefit is to hit your clubs vs a new iron(s) you like and see what you get. But hey, getting new irons is awesome and always a damn good time!

This is the kind of info I was looking for!! I did get a very brief chance to hit some Ping i500s and Callaway Apex iron while having my irons re-gripped a few weeks ago..they felt amazing and sounded amazing. 

• Like 1

10 years I'd say you are due.  You don't need to spend a boatload of money, buying last years models would save u some money if u want.  What you'll get with irons is more forgiveness.  You hear people complain about stronger lofts but in reality your 8 iron now has a shorter shaft, still goes 8 iron distance and as we know, a shorter shaft is probably more accurate.  Distance, meh...I try to avoid that argument.  Just make sure the distance gaps are good for u.

Driver, you should gain on both fronts.

4 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

10 years I'd say you are due.  You don't need to spend a boatload of money, buying last years models would save u some money if u want.  What you'll get with irons is more forgiveness.  You hear people complain about stronger lofts but in reality your 8 iron now has a shorter shaft, still goes 8 iron distance and as we know, a shorter shaft is probably more accurate.  Distance, meh...I try to avoid that argument.  Just make sure the distance gaps are good for u.

Driver, you should gain on both fronts.

The distance gaps thing is something I really want to buckle down on! I'm currently playing with a Driver, 3W, 6-PW and my putter...LMAO..i know..it's terrible. Yeah....the Driver thing, I hear nothing but amazing things about the new drivers out now days, and currently it's like the last thing on my list to upgrade.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:10 PM, ShawnSum said:

Mizuno MX-100 irons

These are very good GI clubs; I presume you have the MX Fli-Hi's made for the set, kind of iron-hybrids. I did replace mine with JPX 800 HD's full set, graphite shafts incl. the JPX Fli Hi's. Even better SGI clubs. Bought both set used after researching what I needed/wanted.

BUT I have put my MUCH OLDER TA6's in the bag because I need a lighter, more flexible shaft and hit the irons even better. Also OLDER hybrids. Don't carry a fairway wood. Do carry wedges (see below). POINT: I believe you can put together a set that really works best for you from older clubs and get the gaps right. Lots of fun too! Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

My irons are relatively new but my driver & 3W are from 2008. Every couple of years I take my driver to a store with a hitting bay and shot tracker and hit balls with my club as well as a couple of new clubs. (Epic Flash & TM M-6 were the latest compared).  If I had seen a significant difference I would have bought something new. I didn't. 

Edited by xrayvizhen

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

I have MP-33s from 15-20 years ago and they still hit well.  I'm sure there's improvements to be had but it works for me so I don't feel like I need to do much about it.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

1 hour ago, MarvChamp said:

These are very good GI clubs; I presume you have the MX Fli-Hi's made for the set, kind of iron-hybrids. I did replace mine with JPX 800 HD's full set, graphite shafts incl. the JPX Fli Hi's. Even better SGI clubs. Bought both set used after researching what I needed/wanted.

BUT I have put my MUCH OLDER TA6's in the bag because I need a lighter, more flexible shaft and hit the irons even better. Also OLDER hybrids. Don't carry a fairway wood. Do carry wedges (see below). POINT: I believe you can put together a set that really works best for you from older clubs and get the gaps right. Lots of fun too! Best, -Marv

Yes my set came with the crazy hybrid irons, personally not a fan of them and quit using them, as in they aren't even in my bag...always preferred a regular long iron vs this type of stuff. Idk I guess I'm more of a purest or something...I don't mind help but only up to a certain point. Ideally when I go out to buy whatever I end up getting I would prefer to have 3-PW and then fill the gaps with whatever else is needed.

1 hour ago, xrayvizhen said:

My irons are relatively new but my driver & 3W are from 2008. Every couple of years I take my driver to a store with a hitting bay and shot tracker and hit balls with my club as well as a couple of new clubs. (Epic Flash & TM M-6 were the latest compared).  If I had seen a significant difference I would have bought something new. I didn't. 

I'm fine with my driver as well, but I do want to hit some of the newer stuff just to see/feel the difference for my self.

25 minutes ago, amished said:

I have MP-33s from 15-20 years ago and they still hit well.  I'm sure there's improvements to be had but it works for me so I don't feel like I need to do much about it.

That's pretty much how I feel about my Driver and 3W right now.

I would say the graphite shafts (in the woods) are constantly improving with new materials and quality controls as they aren't limited by USGA requirements. You will see some improvements with new clubs vs 10 year old equipment but usually the marketing guys can make claims the engineers can't fully deliver.  

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!