IGNORED

Can you break 100 at Torrey Pines in US Open setup?

seattlemudder
Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you think you can break 100 at Torrey Pines a week before the US Open?

• Yes, I can definitely break 100 at Torrey Pines
    • No way can I break 100 at Torrey Pines

I think you underestimate Torrey Pines.

For one, due to the marine layer and the climate there, as well as the setup on top of the cliffs, there is a howling 10-20+ mph wind blowing from the west, depending on where you are in relation to the cliffs and the hole - the wind is not the same everywhere on the hole as well, so you might hit with 10 degree right (facing south) to compenstate for the wind blowing across at the tee, hit it, and find out that it's not windy in the middle of the fairway and your ball sails right into the bunker / rough / OB on the right. :( (happened on a number of occasions)

The lie is also quite varied, ranging from the impossible to hit to the mud pits. THe impossible to hit lies come from the roots of the torrey pines snaking throughout the rough (and sometimes the fairway). You could find your ball nested right up against the root of a tree easily, and there's no free penalty on that.

Others have mentioned the course is LOOOONG too. I drive for 220, so I suffer here, especially on these long par 4's all over the course.

Fast greens are not really an issue, it's all about timing your ball speed right - I generally do better on fast greens than slow greens. Slow greens are incredibly frustrating for me sometimes because I tend to err on the side of not enough speed.
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely said no because I can barely break 100 at my local golf course. haha

Your handicap seems kind of low if you're not a 80/90's golfer. Maybe change it to 20+?

In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

• 2 weeks later...
Just played from the white tees last week (6700 yards, 74.3, 136) and shot an 86 and I thought I did quite well though I only hit 2 fairways. If my driver is behaving somewhat, I think it is doable as long as you take your medicine (when you don't hit the fairway off the tee) and chip it out of the rough at 45 degrees with a wedge in hand regardless of how far you are from the hole. The try to go for bogey or perhaps on occasion an up and down. Adding another 900 yards (50 yards per hole) would likely make it much more difficult but I think subtract the cameras and fans and hoopla of a US Open event and it is possible but it would take great discipline and patience.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

playing from the tips not a chance and formatted like an Open, I wouldn't break 140, I'm a mid-high 80's player on regular courses so no chance at all.....but then again i wouldn't be out there looking to score good, I'd be in awe of the course to pay attention to my score.

I definitely said no because I can barely break 100 at my local golf course. haha

Your handicap seems kind of low if you're not a 80/90's golfer. Maybe change it to 20+?

yeah dude...i break 90's on the regular with a rare round in the 70's and I'm a 12.9

In my eyes, knowing what I can and can't do...knowing how when I play from the whites, I should be on in 2 and sometimes it's 3. But when I play from the blue on a real long course....like when I've played Harding Park b4 a tournament and it's already been setup, or Mayakoba the day after the tourney... I was lucky to be on in 2, but most of the time I was on in 3... and that's after cracking 280 - 300 yard drives.... b/c I'd still have a mid - long iron shot left on par 4's.... mostly everything turned into a layup on those days...I managed 2 birdies at HP and only 1 at Mayakoba. The rest were par's, a bunch of bogey's and i held it to 2 db's on each course...for grand totals of: Harding Park - 84 Mayakoba - 96
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

A typical lie in the rough as experienced by yours truly last week at Torrey Pines.

This was the result of my 2nd shot from the fairway that I badly missed on the Par 5, 6th hole. It was 40 yards short of the green and way wide... I hacked this baby out using a 60 degree lob wedge with an almost vertical swing. I was 5 yards short of the green but managed to get up and down for a par.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

yeah tigerwoo, thats a familiar sight on the south course.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

The added distance would probably do me under. I shot an 87 there last week, and while I could have played a little bit better and a little bit smarter, that was a close to best score I could put up there with my "normal" game. I was only able to score that by hitting a good amount of fairways, especially on the back, and just plain being on with my 5 wood and long irons and hitting a decent amount of greens. Adding the extra yardage would force me to play my driver off the tee, which would lead to a quite a few more second shots out of the rough. Even if I were to hit the fairway I would be forced to hit more 5-woods and 3-woods and not hit as many greens. The rough is just as frustrating around the greens as its just as deep and impossible to make a good "feel" pitch.

There is no way in hell this guy they picked is going to shoot 100. I'm betting more like 120 or higher. The freaking course is 7600 yards. If the course was 6600 yards, I bet he wouldn't break 100. It's great to talk about course management and have this idea that he could just smooth a 3 wood out in the fairway and lay up with a short iron, pitch it close, two-putt and take his bogey, but no 10-handicap is going to do this consistently for 18 holes. 500 yard Par 4s (I'm sure they'll be longer)? If he crushes one 280 (assuming no headwind; a big assumption), he'll have 220 to the green which will make it almost impossible for him to hold the green even if he is in the fairway. If he's in the rough, he may have trouble advancing it to within 160 yards, then he's going to have to hold the green from 160 and two putt for a bogey and that's if he is hitting from the fairway and pures it straight and high? EH! Next. I'd also bank on four or more three putts. I can't wait to watch it!

I love everyone's confidence and I sure as hell would love to give it a shot, but I'd like to bet the 1s and 2s on here who say that it'd be a cakewalk. Wish we could verify that. We're talking 7600 yards, likely windy, four-plus inch rough, greens running at 13, insane pin positions and camera crews all around which will remind you that you are on national TV. There's no doubt a 1 or 2 could break 100, maybe 90 and possibly 80 on the South Course as it's set up tomorrow from 7200, no doubt. But it'll be a different course in June.

If you didn't catch on by now, I voted that I would not be able to break 100, nor do I believe a 10 handicap would break 100 in an Open set up on national TV a week before the Open.

Good story here about the prep and set up of the course (13 Stimp mention):
http://www.usopen.com/en_US/news/art...017978875.html

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

Phil Mickelson just spoke about playing behind an 8 Handicap at Torrey Pines. The guy was taking two shots just to try and get out of the rough. He would literally hit the ball about a foot. (Mind you, it still has not grown out as it will for the US Open) He would then pick up and throw the ball onto the fairway. Lefty stated that the guy swung the club like Ben Hogan when he was on the fairway. He finished the round in the high nineties.

Mickelson went on to say that when you consider how long the course will play, the rough, the wind conditions, pin placement, greens and what golfing statistic point to for those types of handicaps, he believes that number will be closer to 110.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

No way the guy breaks 100. Romo is the only one of the 4 that even has a shot.
In my bag
Driver: Burner 460 9.5°
Fairway: V-Steel 15°
Utility: Rescue Dual 16°, 22°
Irons: 755 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM 56°, SM 64°Putter: Newport 2 Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1

I can probably break 100,seriously...

Maybe on the front or back 9...

Driver- HiBore XL 9.5°
Hybrids- #3,#4 and #5
Irons- RAC CB/MB combo
Wedge- Vokey 52° Oil Can
56° CG-1060° CG-10Putter- CorzaBall-Bag- '08 Monaco

And everyone should take note that this year you won't just see US Open rough. It will be Kikuya grown to US Open conditions. This stuff will eat your ball.
In my bag
Driver: Burner 460 9.5°
Fairway: V-Steel 15°
Utility: Rescue Dual 16°, 22°
Irons: 755 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM 56°, SM 64°Putter: Newport 2 Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1

If four of us played Torrey Pines twenty days in open conditions and entered our twenty scores of 90 to 99 in GHIN what would our handicap be calculated to be?

This also sounds like a set up to embarass someone or something.

Phil Mickelson just spoke about playing behind an 8 Handicap at Torrey Pines. The guy was taking two shots just to try and get out of the rough. He would literally hit the ball about a foot. (Mind you, it still has not grown out as it will for the US Open) He would then pick up and throw the ball onto the fairway. Lefty stated that the guy swung the club like Ben Hogan when he was on the fairway. He finished the round in the high nineties.

what Phil stated about the 8capper is exactly why most people wouldn't break 100 on Torrey PInes under US Open conditions........

A 10 would play double bogey golf which is close to Philly Mic's 110. If you're hitting long approach shots they won't hold the green and will run into the rough.

One way to do it would be to lay up to lob wedge distance, and put a lot of spin on the ball to get it close, then 2 putt. I would think that the pros will be using a lot of spin to deal with the pin placements and superfast greens. A hi-spin ball would help a lot, but that wouldn't help with accuracy off the tee. A real straight driver and a hi-spin wedge player would have a chance if they could get the speed of the greens right.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!