IGNORED

New Products Timeline?

Note: This thread is 1736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I originally planned to buy a new set of irons near the end of August. I've noticed that Titleist and Mizuno are coming out with a new line of irons, since I've been out of the game for a long time when do companies typically release a new line of irons and what not, like what time of the year? Also does this drive down the price of the previous line of irons?

:titleist:

:tmade:

Waiting as little as a year can cut your cost by as much as 50%.  It's like buying a new car versus buying a used model with 10,000 miles on the clock.  The difference is that last years got-to-haves are still brand new.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Piz said:

Waiting as little as a year can cut your cost by as much as 50%.  It's like buying a new car versus buying a used model with 10,000 miles on the clock.  The difference is that last years got-to-haves are still brand new.

You telling me that a new set of Mizuno JPX 919 Forged Irons will be nearly half the price they are right now when the new line of mizuno's come out????

:titleist:

:tmade:

1 minute ago, ShawnSum said:

You telling me that a new set of Mizuno JPX 919 Forged Irons will be nearly half the price they are right now when the new line of mizuno's come out????

It depends on how popular, or unpopular, a particular make and model is.  The Mizuno JPX Forged are going to hold their value better than some...but you never know.  When TaylorMade was marketing a new set of irons every six months...the "old" models were available, at a substantial discount, about a year or so down the road.  There is a set of MP-30's, at a club I frequent, that they want 85 bucks for.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I Googled 2017 Mizuno JPX Forged irons.  You can pick up a set for 220 to 300 dollars.  That is two year old clubs.  A barrel of scotch, or bourbon, would still have a year to go.

In der bag:

2 hours ago, Piz said:

When TaylorMade was marketing a new set of irons every six months...

I call B.S.;  as if TaylorMade would wait a whole six months before releasing the next product line.

• Like 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

4 hours ago, Piz said:

With Callaway at least, this is starting to change. Since backing off from the 2014 arms race with TM, Callaway is going more to a "run out" model on its product releases. Let's say a new model of irons is ready for manufacture. Callaway will let the comparable previous iron model start selling out before it launches the new model.

If you want something other than a stock shaft, you may have trouble finding what you need from the discounted remnant sets. Or, if it got some quick trade-ins, you may find some variety on Callaway PreOwned.

An exception is the standard Rogue long clubs. More of those seem to be available - clearance and preowned - than recent prior models.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

For Mizuno specifically, I think the release is a 2 year cycle or close to it.  The original JPX 900 line was 2017 and the JPX 919 line was 2019.  The 2018 releases were in the MC line.  Without having anything other than that to go on, I would expect their MC line to be refreshed in late 2019 / 2020.  You also have to think about how much "custom" you will need in your fitting as was noted above.  While you can save quite a bit with used clubs, you also might want be able to have everything customized in an individual fitting.  If this is important, then you will need to most current years models at their full retail pricing.  

EDIT to above.  It is the MP line not the MC line.  

14 hours ago, CharlieB said:

Taylormade changes models faster than I change socks. I quit buying their brand just for that reason.

IMO, that's a horrible reason for someone to stop buying a specific brand. 

I currently play Taylormade irons that I like, that perform well, and I'm confident with. Taylormade could release 10 new iron sets within the next 12 months and it wouldn't affect my opinion of my clubs, nor would I feel the need to run out and buy a new set

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

The price will definitely come down, by how much really depends on the popularity and inventory. If they have a ton of inventory and they aren't selling fast expect to see a big discount like 20%-40%. As others have stated your ability to get them custom will stop after a certain point so it may not be worth holding out too long for a bigger discount unless you play off the rack specs.

58 minutes ago, klineka said:

IMO, that's a horrible reason for someone to stop buying a specific brand. 

I currently play Taylormade irons that I like, that perform well, and I'm confident with. Taylormade could release 10 new iron sets within the next 12 months and it wouldn't affect my opinion of my clubs, nor would I feel the need to run out and buy a new set

Not to me. If person buys a new set of irons in the spring, only to find out that he hates them in the fall, he will then take a big hit to make a change. My Pings are from 2011 and they are still worth half of what I paid for them. My son plays TM and loves them. They do make a good product, just too many changes.

14 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

If person buys a new set of irons in the spring, only to find out that he hates them in the fall, he will then take a big hit to make a change. 

15 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

They do make a good product, just too many changes.

Exactly my point. You're choosing to exclude a brand of product that you admit makes a good product simply on the off chance you don't like the clubs that the resale value is going to be lower than you feel it should be. While you're obviously entitled to do so, I don't think that is a good reason to exclude a company and not even consider them when making future purchases.

We aren't talking about a car or something here, we are talking about a couple hundred bucks at the most, and that's only on the off chance that you don't like the clubs.

19 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

My Pings are from 2011 and they are still worth half of what I paid for them. 

Out of curiosity, which irons are you referring to and how much did you pay for them in 2011?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I bought a set of Cobra F7 One Length Irons for $244.50 earlier this Spring.

The F7s are the two year old model. They were still in the plastic and brand new.

The current model (F9) is going for roughly $800 - $1,000. Take it for what it's worth. 

I also picked up a brand new Titleist 917 D2 Driver for $155.00. 

Edited by SPJr

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

8 hours ago, klineka said:

Exactly my point. You're choosing to exclude a brand of product that you admit makes a good product simply on the off chance you don't like the clubs that the resale value is going to be lower than you feel it should be. While you're obviously entitled to do so, I don't think that is a good reason to exclude a company and not even consider them when making future purchases.

We aren't talking about a car or something here, we are talking about a couple hundred bucks at the most, and that's only on the off chance that you don't like the clubs.

Out of curiosity, which irons are you referring to and how much did you pay for them in 2011?

G15 Graphite shafts 6-7-8-9-PW-US-SW......$700

Note: This thread is 1736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!