IGNORED

Brought some old equipment out of storage for kicks...

Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As I stated in the how many hybrids do you carry thread, I brought some old clubs out of storage and am having a laugh playing them for a bit.

This is the set-up:

Nickent 4DX Evolver Driver 10.5° just a stock SR3 Stiff in this.

Nickent 4DX 4-wood and 3-hybrid with UST Proforce V2 Stiff Shaft.

Nickent 3DX Genex 4-hybrid Standard Nickent Stiff Shaft.

Snake Eyes 685X Forged irons (5-PW) I do have the 3 and 4 iron Project X High Launch 6.0 soft stepped to 5.8.

Snake Eyes 675W wedges 52°, 56°, and 60° with same shafts as irons.

Yes C-Groove Penny at 35".

I guess my question is this have any of you taken your older clubs to the course for a chuckle? I'd love to read some stories about it.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

As I stated in the how many hybrids do you carry thread, I brought some old clubs out of storage and am having a laugh playing them for a bit.

This is the set-up:

Nickent 4DX Evolver Driver 10.5° just a stock SR3 Stiff in this.

Nickent 4DX 4-wood and 3-hybrid with UST Proforce V2 Stiff Shaft.

Nickent 3DX Genex 4-hybrid Standard Nickent Stiff Shaft.

Snake Eyes 685X Forged irons (5-PW) I do have the 3 and 4 iron Project X High Launch 6.0 soft stepped to 5.8.

Snake Eyes 675W wedges 52°, 56°, and 60° with same shafts as irons.

Yes C-Groove Penny at 35".

I guess my question is this have any of you taken your older clubs to the course for a chuckle? I'd love to read some stories about it.

Back in the the day, those Nickent, and Snake Eye clubs were pretty good clubs as far as playability. I still play a Neickent 4W theses days on occassions. 

My nephew plays a set of Snake Eyes, I built for myself probably 20+/- years ago. 

I took my old set of "Tour Edge Bazooka Ironwoods" (2-lw) out of mothballs several months ago. Had so much fun with them , I have continued to play them. The Nickent 4W is the 13th club of this set and doubles as a driver. I now switch back, and forth between them and my younger set of gamers. Then again, that younger set is not that young any more either. 

Scoring wise the older Ironwood set is a stroke or two higher on average. However, I have broken 80 recently playing them. 

I recently had the Ironwoods regripped, and will actually be playing them later on today. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

I've gone through 3 wedge sets in the last 4 years and have had such a hard time around the greens.  I used to be better.  Went back to two old Scratch wedges I used before my wedge upgrades/experiments.  They are 47* and 53*.  Played 4 rounds with them so far and have been all over the pin from a variety of distances.  Including 3 chip-ins. The are much heavier then the 3 GI wedges I went to.  Can't believe I didn't figure this out sooner.  It's all weight and feel for me with pitches and chips.  I wasted money and my game suffered.  The retro wedges are staying in the bag.

Your's truly,

Dopey wedge Boy

On 8/4/2019 at 10:48 PM, onthehunt526 said:

I guess my question is this have any of you taken your older clubs to the course for a chuckle?

Why, when I get plenty of laughs taking my current set of clubs to the course?

But really, no. There are reasons I moved on from my older clubs. Plus the only other set of clubs I have are a set of vintage Hogan blades that lose five yards for every micron I miss the sweetspot.

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

It used to amuse me but it doesn't anymore.  There are good reasons why I don't take those clubs, to the course, if I am being serious.  They had their chance...and came up wanting.  Yeah...it's cool to scrape it around with an older set...but is that really the idea?

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I've taken a couple of sets out of mothballs recently.  One is a set of Ram TW Grind 3-PW blades that I've been hitting to groove my swing.  The second is a set of Titleist 981 3-PW.  No reason for pulling them out of the hard travel case other than I forgot that I still had them.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I have four sets of irons in my garage, (Cobra, Ping, Cleveland), and the ones I get the most laughs out of at my old Ping Eye 2s with stiff steel shafts. Don't get me wrong they were/are great clubs but not for me anymore. I play Cleveland GI irons with graphite shafts, the Pings feel really heavy now but then again I'm 68 years old, not in my fifties. Maybe I'll take them out again just of fun and see what happens, but not on league day.

Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!