IGNORED

My Swing (ShawnSum)

ShawnSum
Note: This thread is 1044 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: I'm 32, started playing around 12 years old but stopped completely around 20/21 years old. Just picked it back up again in June this year. Most of my time spent playing was during the Summer when School was out so I would say I have about 9 years of very inconsistent Golf under my belt.

My current handicap index or average score is: 11.3

My typical ball flight is: High

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Literally anything at all that slices, leaks, fades to the right. 

Videos: 

Tee shot off the 18th Tee DTL

Approach shot 18th fairway Face-on

Not sure why these aren't automatically embedding like the instructions say they should? Since this is the first time I'm seeing my swing I have some initial thoughts

• I can see that I'm coming out of my swing instead of transferring the energy through the swing if that makes sense? This was the first thing I noticed as I use to play with a older guy who would tell me when I was getting "tippy toed". Actually forgot about that until now..lol.
  • My left leg comes up and I don't even feel this at all or acknowledge this at all until seeing it now.
  • The Tee Shot swing my line starts where I'm wanting it to but it eventually leaks out right and high, I am actually trying to draw this ball on this drive.
  • The Approach Shot started where I wanted and actually did draw, I'm basically always trying to draw the ball at this point.

I would appreciate any help with my swing as I am trying to improve. I'm pretty active with reading and watching feedback on other peoples swing so I am really looking forward to hearing from you guys and improving mine. I am the type of person that would prefer to focus on one thing at a time until it becomes natural and then move onto whatever is next on the list. I know without a doubt I've 110% got to improve my ball-striking and overall consistency from Tee to Green! 

:titleist:

:tmade:

36 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

Not sure why these aren't automatically embedding like the instructions say they should?

When you paste the link, you have to click paste as plain text in the popup box that appears.

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

I've been Playing Golf for: I'm 32, started playing around 12 years old but stopped completely around 20/21 years old. Just picked it back up again in June this year. Most of my time spent playing was during the Summer when School was out so I would say I have about 9 years of very inconsistent Golf under my belt.

My current handicap index or average score is: 11.3

My typical ball flight is: High

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Literally anything at all that slices, leaks, fades to the right. 

Videos: 

Tee shot off the 18th Tee DTL

Approach shot 18th fairway Face-on

Not sure why these aren't automatically embedding like the instructions say they should? Since this is the first time I'm seeing my swing I have some initial thoughts

• I can see that I'm coming out of my swing instead of transferring the energy through the swing if that makes sense? This was the first thing I noticed as I use to play with a older guy who would tell me when I was getting "tippy toed". Actually forgot about that until now..lol.
  • My left leg comes up and I don't even feel this at all or acknowledge this at all until seeing it now.
  • The Tee Shot swing my line starts where I'm wanting it to but it eventually leaks out right and high, I am actually trying to draw this ball on this drive.
  • The Approach Shot started where I wanted and actually did draw, I'm basically always trying to draw the ball at this point.

I would appreciate any help with my swing as I am trying to improve. I'm pretty active with reading and watching feedback on other peoples swing so I am really looking forward to hearing from you guys and improving mine. I am the type of person that would prefer to focus on one thing at a time until it becomes natural and then move onto whatever is next on the list. I know without a doubt I've 110% got to improve my ball-striking and overall consistency from Tee to Green! 

Have the DTL view more along your toe line and not the ball. It makes it easier to see the shaft and head positions during the swing.

• Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Have the DTL view more along your toe line and not the ball. It makes it easier to see the shaft and head positions during the swing.

Thanks and will do! This was taken by a friend with my phone, also think some of my video settings were off as it didn't even upload in HD. I've got a GoPro & Tripod in my amazon shopping cart so I'll definitely be able to improve the quality moving forward!

5 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

Thanks and will do! This was taken by a friend with my phone, also think some of my video settings were off as it didn't even upload in HD. I've got a GoPro & Tripod in my amazon shopping cart so I'll definitely be able to improve the quality moving forward!

I usually set up, then put the club down along my toe line. Then I aim the camera along that line.

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Showed the swing to a few people and it was suggested that I work on the backswing. So right now I'm trying to shorten it up a bit, been practicing the "lead/left arm parallel" shots. Going to hit a lot of balls at the range this weekend using this drill.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a video update but I did have my lesson a few weeks ago and have played a few rounds since that lesson, also made a post lesson thread but figure everything related to my game should be kept under my swing thread. A summary of what's happened since the lesson.

• Lowest score so far since playing again with a 76.
  • Multiple rounds in the 70s.
  • First Eagle since being back. Par 5, hit a 205-210 4i to 8ft and made the putt. This was a nice morale boost.
  • Distance gained across the board.

A summary of what my issues were.

• Grip, working on getting use to the grip being in my fingers vs too much palm.
  • Address/stance, eve though I was square to the target with my feet, I was way open to the target with my shoulders.
  • Was not following through and/or finishing my swing strong. So now I try to always finish strong even if the shot is not perfect.
  • Ball position in stance with irons. Was too far forward most of the time.

Closing summary - I feel good about all the little things coming together. Getting the eagle this past weekend was a nice confidence booster as far as seeing improvement on the golf course goes. Up until this point that hole was ALWAYS a Driver and then a 3W for me. Being able to reach it with a 4i was a pretty big deal and something new for me. Hope this trend continues!

• 4 weeks later...

2nd Lesson since playing again is this Sunday! I'm going to get to hit with the assistance of a FlightScope and get all into the details of things! Hyyyyyppeeeeee!

• 7 months later...

Update - Finally got my lesson in with the FlightScope to see what all is going on with the swing path and club face. The problem has not been my club path but instead my club face not being square through impact (this is my miss). My instructor is going to email me some drills and stuff but was curious if anyone here has any good tips for squaring up the club face?

9 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

Update - Finally got my lesson in with the FlightScope to see what all is going on with the swing path and club face. The problem has not been my club path but instead my club face not being square through impact (this is my miss). My instructor is going to email me some drills and stuff but was curious if anyone here has any good tips for squaring up the club face?

Square to what, though? You didn’t provide any details on your numbers.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Square to what, though? You didn’t provide any details on your numbers.

Lol I totally left that part out. Thanks for mentioning that! So my miss is to the right and the reason is because my club face is open at impact. I don't remember the exact degree's but it's not much normally, but when I miss big..yeah the face of the club is obviously open more.

• 1 month later...

Second year update since playing again. After watching my "face on" swing I suspected that I may get a little scoopy or flippy on my bad shots. I've been playing good lately while focusing on getting forward shaft lean and keeping my hands in front of the club through impact.

I've fired off a 76, 77, 73 and 75 focusing on this. The 73 was/is my all time best and low score and it easily could have been a round below par. I've been quietly working on stuff and been getting a feeling that I was going to go low soon and it feels good seeing it all come together.

I'm not sure what the swing looks like right now while focusing on this but maybe I'll get around to getting some fresh video and comparing them soon.

• 10 months later...
  • Administrator
17 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

@iacasEvolvr is where you teach online correct?

Yes, but of course I'm not the only person on there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Evolvr notes.

• Setup - Getting everything lined up correctly. Feet, knees, hips, shoulders.
  • Grip - Left hand, get the club out of my palm. Avoid gripping the club when it's on the ground. Fingers, stretch/wrap the heel pad and let the thumb rest.
  • Grip - Right hand, get it off the top of the club. Grip from the bottom/side to allow the right arm to relax.
  • Thumbs Up 1

First videos so I have a running history of it all.

Since these videos were taken we are trying to get me out of my palm with the grip in the lead hand, relax my trail arm and get my shoulders more square(less open), get my hand off the top of the club with the trail hand. Will update soon!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1044 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!