IGNORED

Georgia/Alabama Courses

When I think Alabama, and I always think Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail… 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, TJ Jackson said:

You would be correct in your assumption. I should have been more specific

Well even then the border is pretty large so don’t know exactly whereabouts your interested. However, if your anywhere near Lagrange Georgia then I would try Fields Golf Club. If your more south on the borderline, then Grand National  in Alabama is the only other I know of.  Bring your wallet to that one. 

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

When I think Alabama, and I always think Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail… 

Sadly that’s about it for Alabama. Few others I have heard were good, I played Kiva Dunes and I enjoyed the round and resort. The design is a bit overrated though. 

• 5 weeks later...

Yep, not a lot of public courses in Alabama worth playing outside of RTJ. Though there are 11 sites on the trail. If you are a member of a club you could try to have your pro get you onto the Ledges or Shoal Creek

Not sure how off the beaten path you want to go, but for Georgia - Old Toccoa just opened in Blue Ridge. About an hour outside of Chattanooga, Atlanta. Maybe a few hours outside the border of Alabama. It's the best public track I've played in Georgia.

Barnsley Garden is another one that's great. It's outside Adairsville, Georgia. About 45 minutes from the Alabama state line.

• 2 years later...
On 10/4/2019 at 7:47 AM, TJ Jackson said:

Does anyone have some really good local courses that may be off the beaten path?

Pursell Farms. Probably the best course in the state. It's near Sylacauga and totally worth the drive. The course is better than any of the RTJ courses and I've played a bunch of them. The conditioning of the course is first class. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/29/2022 at 3:55 PM, Vespidae said:

Pursell Farms. Probably the best course in the state. It's near Sylacauga and totally worth the drive. The course is better than any of the RTJ courses and I've played a bunch of them. The conditioning of the course is first class. 

I’m starting to plan a spring break 2023 trip to AL to play a RTJ complex, long weekend trip.  We’re leaning Capitol Hill.  Would you recommend other sites over that?

Would like to play Pursell Farms some time, but on a longer trip.

Here's my take and then my recommendation. 

Capitol Hill - The Judge, The Legislator, and the Senator are all fantastic. I personally prefer the Senator of all the RTJ courses in the state and it is the only one that holds a regular tournament ... the Symmetra Tour. Great amenities nearby. They are sticklers here for pacing and use marshals to keep you on pace, so be prepared for that. 

Birmingham - Oxmoor Valley and Ross Bridge both take advantage of the best terrain in the state for golf. Ross Bridge is the PREMIER course on the trail and simply outstanding. You can't go wrong playing these three. 

Mobile - You can play Magnolia Grove (which used to hold a Champions Tour event) AND ... Lakewood, which is an older Perry Maxwell design, but one of my favorite courses to play. Magnolia Grove though, struggles with handling rain, so be careful about playing in the summer. Lakewood is a great track and usually hosts USGA events, and it's a great vibe as well. 

Grand National - this is where I usually play. The Lake Course used to host the Barbasol Champiohship, but the course gets too much play now to host tournaments. The Lakes and the Links course are both great, almost always in great condition. The Links course was recently renovated, the Par 3 short course is currently under renovation (to re-open in October). 

The other courses ... if you are in the area, fine. If not, I wouldn't drive out of the way. Robert Rulewich designed almost all the courses and other than terrain, the designs are similar. Very challenging at the green and will defend par with the putting surface.

If it is your only visit, I would recommend playing all 3 of the Capitol Hill courses or 2 plus Ross Bridge. Capitol Hill and Birmingham are so close that you can easily do this. Grand National is super convenient to Atlanta airport and if you wanted, you could do Grand National (both courses) and then drive to Prattville and play the Senator without changing hotel. Plus, a cool college town.

Hope this helps. The Trail is awesome, I highly recommend. PM me or call me if you need more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Vespidae said:

Here's my take and then my recommendation. 

Capitol Hill - The Judge, The Legislator, and the Senator are all fantastic. I personally prefer the Senator of all the RTJ courses in the state and it is the only one that holds a regular tournament ... the Symmetra Tour. Great amenities nearby. They are sticklers here for pacing and use marshals to keep you on pace, so be prepared for that. 

Birmingham - Oxmoor Valley and Ross Bridge both take advantage of the best terrain in the state for golf. Ross Bridge is the PREMIER course on the trail and simply outstanding. You can't go wrong playing these three. 

Mobile - You can play Magnolia Grove (which used to hold a Champions Tour event) AND ... Lakewood, which is an older Perry Maxwell design, but one of my favorite courses to play. Magnolia Grove though, struggles with handling rain, so be careful about playing in the summer. Lakewood is a great track and usually hosts USGA events, and it's a great vibe as well. 

Grand National - this is where I usually play. The Lake Course used to host the Barbasol Champiohship, but the course gets too much play now to host tournaments. The Lakes and the Links course are both great, almost always in great condition. The Links course was recently renovated, the Par 3 short course is currently under renovation (to re-open in October). 

The other courses ... if you are in the area, fine. If not, I wouldn't drive out of the way. Robert Rulewich designed almost all the courses and other than terrain, the designs are similar. Very challenging at the green and will defend par with the putting surface.

If it is your only visit, I would recommend playing all 3 of the Capitol Hill courses or 2 plus Ross Bridge. Capitol Hill and Birmingham are so close that you can easily do this. Grand National is super convenient to Atlanta airport and if you wanted, you could do Grand National (both courses) and then drive to Prattville and play the Senator without changing hotel. Plus, a cool college town.

Hope this helps. The Trail is awesome, I highly recommend. PM me or call me if you need more. 

Thanks for all the great info!  Sounds like two trips are in order, at a minimum (or one long trip down the road).