IGNORED

Is There a Putting Mat That Will Work on Carpet?

Note: This thread is 1579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, with winter here now, I've found a new problem.

In my office I used to have a 12 foot putting mat. I drew a line down the center of my mat which I liked. I've done some putting drills on it etc... I actually like to roll putts when on conference calls.

Here's the issue. My office (my whole house actually) just got new carpeting. The office used to have laminate flooring, now it has medium depth pile carpet. It feels nice under my feet, but my putting mat no longer works for shit. 

So, my question, is there a putting mat out there that works when laid on top of pile carpet? (It's not shag, but it's deeper than berber.)

A couple of things:
1 - Yes, I know I won't become Seve Ballesteros by rolling putts on a mat in my office.

2 - No, there really isn't another good place in my house to put the old mat. The kitchen is now the only hard surface floor left.... okay, the bathroom...

3 - The old mat was 4' x 12' and was pretty good up to about a 10 footer. It was really good for 9 footers. That' pretty much all the room I have. I can't go bigger. 

4 - Yes, I know I can roll putts down a metal ruler. I have a 48" ruler I do that with. But I have to confess  I wish I still had my mat. 

Anyone else have this problem? How did you solve it? I looked for an older thread on this but didn't find one. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try going to a carpet store, and ask about their remenants. Even Home Depot, Ace, or Lowes. Do the same if you have a local Synthetic Turf outlet. 

See if you can find a left over piece, with heavy backing on it. The heavy backing will allow for it sit nicely on your medium pile carpet. 

You might even find some green indoor/outdoor stuff. Myself, I prefer close pile pergo carpet remenants. The smoother the better. 

If nothing else you could always lay a piece of plywood down, and lay your putting strip on it. 

You might even save a few bucks using a piece of  remenants instead of buying a golf specific item. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, FlyingAce said:

I have a putting mat on tiles at my ski cabin. My husband got a piece of plywood to put underneath the mat and so far it is working fine.

If the plywood is large enough, it can be propped up in different areas to simulate breaking, uphill, and downhill putts. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I use tour links.   Just google and their website will pop up...works great on top of carpet.  Has helped me really improve my putting 

• Like 1

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Look up Birdieball putting mats.  I have one downstairs on top of the carpet and the carpet underneath makes no difference.  I did get the extra piece you place next to the mat to stand on instead of standing on the mat itself.

if u don’t use the standing piece you will not be at the same height as the mat. I have had a 10-12’ foot mat for a few years and use it in the winter, roll it up in the summer.

11 hours ago, grubby98 said:

I use tour links.   Just google and their website will pop up...works great on top of carpet.  Has helped me really improve my putting 

I did what you said and googled this up. Wow, looks very nice. Thanks for the heads up.

10 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Look up Birdieball putting mats.  I have one downstairs on top of the carpet and the carpet underneath makes no difference.  I did get the extra piece you place next to the mat to stand on instead of standing on the mat itself.

if u don’t use the standing piece you will not be at the same height as the mat. I have had a 10-12’ foot mat for a few years and use it in the winter, roll it up in the summer.

That's interesting. I actually used to have a birdie ball mat. Believe it or not I was a birdie ball mat early adopter. I got one the very first year they started making them. It was in my old house for years and laid on the concrete floor in the basement. I did like it a lot. I considered a new one, but I was under the impression that it wouldn't work on the carpet. I guess I never even thought about using the extra little mat to stand on. 

Thanks for the idea. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I second the BirdieBall putting green.  We have a 2'x10' that we use on top of Berber carpet. It is the medium speed one, which seems a lot faster than the crappy greens on courses around here.

War Eagle!

• iacas changed the title to Is There a Putting Mat That Will Work on Carpet?
Note: This thread is 1579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!