70sSanO

Putter Weights, Balance, Years

3 posts / 672 viewsLast Reply

So I haven't been pleased with my putting lately.  It just seems like I have been fighting it on the backswing, and that is throwing me off.

So I thought I would pull out a bunch of putters. like many people have and weigh them and see what the balance turned out to be.  This is not scientific since I am using a Taylormade Monza IB Spider as the baseline weight and using a digital scale.  I realize this only gives me overall static weight of the putter and not the head weight.  I'm just guessing at that since they all have small pistol grips.  The IB weighed 537gr and has a spec of 350gr headweight.  It has a slight toe balance.

1930's Burke 15oz, 90* toe balance (Found in my parent's garage as a kid and actually used it a long time ago because I thought it was cool).

1985 Taylormade TPA V 488gr 17-1/4oz, guess 300gr HW slight toe (First real putter that I used for a long time... Nevada Bob's).

1990's Teradrops TD-xx 504/508 17-3/4oz, guess 315/320gr HW slight toe (Drank the roll face kool-aid a few years ago, they do roll nice).

2008 Adams Mallet 523gr 18-1/2oz, guess 335gr HW face balance (Got this after wife took my IB, I loved this putter before Jim Jones got a hold of me... back in the bag).

I have others, the 80's are around the same weight (slight toe, except one that is about 80*) and I have a Teardrop RFD that is "toe up" by 30* and is almost 19-1/2oz-360gr HW.  It is super stable... but boy I hate that one.

I realize that my list is really low budget and most people wouldn't be caught dead with any of them.  But this was kind of an exercise in looking back at the years and also have some baseline for me.  I don't buy a lot, but I realize that I've picked up too much of the same that isn't working, at least for my current setup.

John

Edited by 70sSanO
spelling

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My "Heavy Putter" with all the head weights installed, and grip counter weights, weighs in at 900 grams according to the manufacturer. It's from around 2005, I think. Not sure. 

I went to the Heavy Putter due to damage to my 300 gram putter of many years. 

It took a while to get use to the added weight, but once I got use to it, my putting was as good, if not better than before the change .

I might suggest that today there are more options to get a putter custom weighted than ever before. 

In my humble opinion the counter weight concept, along with the ability to select the amount of weight as well as location of the weight, is one of the most significant changes to putters in recent history. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • By marketing, you mean making money based off their likeness, not till 2023 and only in California.  Nope, it would be based solely on a players ability to market themselves. The rub on that, they can't be wearing any of their college football gear since that is trademarked by the college. Will the QB really make money if they can't wear the jersey?  I agree with Erik on this. There can be a lot of quality of life decisions made to the system already that could address a lot of the issues. 
    • Aren't (select) college players already allowed to make money off their skill set via marketing themselves?  I say "select" because the poor lineman toiling away in the trenches opening holes for the star running back or protecting the star QB will probably get diddly Which brings us to... who gets paid what?  Has that been outlined yet?
    • I enjoy watching the PGA, LPGA, Champions Tour and College Golf. PGA is just stunning what they do with a golf ball.   The LPGA & Champions Tour I can relate to how they play and I enjoy seeing the club selection and shot choice.  I can learn from both of these events. College National Championships is a blast to watch.  Young people playing for their team.  Like a mini Ryder Cup.  Lot's of enthusiasm.  
    • I think he has too. Look, I'm not saying they deserve a ton of money or something. But they get pretty well screwed over and are the ones doing the actual work. The fans are rewarded. The coaches are rewarded. The universities are rewarded. The players… most of them… don't even get an NFL contract. So what's their reward? Often… a useless degree? And if they're injured, often not even that, as their scholarship gets pulled. I think it's hilarious you reached in and pulled out… Joe Flacco. Major League Baseball players are "playing a sport." Should they be okay playing for, what, minimum wage? Not remotely the same thing.= Like Matt said, the advantage is already there. The money wouldn't shift that advantage around much.
    • Before the Honda moved to PGA National, they played the Senior PGA there for 18 years. It was a great tournament to follow the stars around and most of the players were very friendly especially Chi Chi Rodriguez who would give commentary as he played. Lee Trevino was a blast to follow around and watching him was like getting a lesson on how to hit scoring irons and wedges. He would also give commentary on how he hit a shot and talk to the gallery. It was just a lot of fun to watch. I remember one time when Jack was in a bunker on 15 and the marshall said, "Gee, it must take him an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes" and Jack looked up. He then settled and blasted it out to a foot and just smiled. There were a lot of stories that I remember well.  Anyway, back then it was really the nostalgia tour and that played well for the time. Its still good golf to watch but somehow it is not as relevant. I don't really follow it and I even have a free event that plays down the street that I haven't gone to. One thing I do know is that those guys can play. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. camerongautx
      camerongautx
      (29 years old)
    2. CyboNinja
      CyboNinja
      (39 years old)
    3. Hawk367
      Hawk367
      (53 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...