IGNORED

Seeking Advice on 3W

RFKFREAK
Note: This thread is 1574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I have a $130 gift card from the club where I purchased my set of irons and hybrid and I've decided to put it towards a 3W.  They are selling a Titleist 917 F2 for $180 with a stiff shaft and a TS2 with a regular shaft for $280.  I think they're demos and I forgot to note the weight of the shafts.

My primary hesitation is buying a 3W without being fit for it.  My swing speed with the driver is 110 MPH so I'm not sure how that translates to the 3W and what shaft flex  and weight are optimal.

All that said, getting a almost new Titleist 3W potentially for between $50 and $150 seems like too good to pass up.

Thoughts on whether I should pull the trigger or should getting fit be a priority.

Here are some pics of they clubs.

IMG_20191123_103913.jpgIMG_20191123_103855.jpgIMG_20191123_103827.jpgIMG_20191123_103839.jpg

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like you have already made up your mind. 

However, just in case you haven't, and there's a way to use your gift certificate, check out one of those low profile club face models. 

That smaller measurement  top to bottom club face makes hitting fairway lies that much easier. For me anyways. 

All my metal woods are of a square club head design, with shorter, top to bottom lub faces. They are the same cc measurments as the other designs. 

Just a thought. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

So, I have a $130 gift card from the club where I purchased my set of irons and hybrid and I've decided to put it towards a 3W.  They are selling a Titleist 917 F2 for $180 with a stiff shaft and a TS2 with a regular shaft for $280.  I think they're demos and I forgot to note the weight of the shafts.

My primary hesitation is buying a 3W without being fit for it.  My swing speed with the driver is 110 MPH so I'm not sure how that translates to the 3W and what shaft flex  and weight are optimal.

All that said, getting a almost new Titleist 3W potentially for between $50 and $150 seems like too good to pass up.

Thoughts on whether I should pull the trigger or should getting fit be a priority.

Here are some pics of they clubs.

IMG_20191123_103913.jpgIMG_20191123_103855.jpgIMG_20191123_103827.jpgIMG_20191123_103839.jpg

I would hit on a good launch monitor before pulling the trigger on a 3w.  Those are so personal, like putters.  Hard to find the right one, but once you do, they tend to stay in the bag for a long time.  Love my Adams Tight Lies Ti 13.5*.

110 mph swing speed and you're swinging a regular shaft?  Doesn't really fit the usual metrics.  But it looks like it works for you.

I swing 103-108 and find that my 3 wood (Titleist, by the way) comes in around 100-101.  If that helps.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

• iacas changed the title to Seeking Advice on 3W

I am a fan of the 917s that I have, and I am also a fan of keeping it cheap, but this is a tough call, especially since you aren't going to be fit for it. I'd say price and swing speed/shaft would make it hard to pass up the 917 for me, but then again, I've already hit one so it's a known quantity to me. Good luck, whatever you end up choosing, and keep us posted when you make a decision.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Given your high driver swing speed, I’ve gotta believe that the stiff shaft is better suited to you.

They might be willing to put that stiff shaft on the TS-2 for you too if that’s the way you wanted to go.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I am very familiar with both heads and shafts, having played both.

The TS2 head is better because it is more forgiving to poor strikes, but the Tensei 65g R shaft is all wrong for your swingspeed. 

The stock shaft you would want for that is the HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 or the T1100 75 (see the Titleist website).

The 917F2 head is decent though a bit smaller and less forgiving, but the Diamana White 80g S shaft is a perfect match.

Best deal would be to get the 917F2 head/80g S shaft for $50.  It may not be the best fairway out there, but it is decent and suits your swingspeed for $50.

Otherwise, if you want the absolute best, put the $130 towards balls and get fit for a fairway.

Edited by GOATee

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2019 at 5:15 PM, ncates00 said:

I would hit on a good launch monitor before pulling the trigger on a 3w.  Those are so personal, like putters.  Hard to find the right one, but once you do, they tend to stay in the bag for a long time.  Love my Adams Tight Lies Ti 13.5*.

I'm still using my Cobra S3 3W, it is my go to club. Hope it never breaks.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!