iacas

44 "Tiger at 44" Stats

7 posts / 990 viewsLast Reply

Request-1.png

Tiger Woods turns 44 years old on December 30. This is the first birthday for Woods as the reigning Masters champion since…

What are your favorites? I like:

44. Despite missing a large portion of the decade due to injury, Tiger Woods was the number one ranked player in the world for 103 total weeks from 2010 through 2019. That was the most weeks at number one of anyone in that span – Rory McIlroy was second with 95.

39. Woods is the only player in history to win the U.S. Junior Amateur, U.S. Amateur and U.S. Open in his career. He has won each three times.

33. Tiger is the only player in the last ninety years to win the same PGA Tour event four straight seasons. He did it two different times (Arnold Palmer Invitational, 2000-2003; Farmers Insurance Open, 2005-08).

31. As he turns 44, Woods has just 20 missed cuts as a professional on the PGA Tour. That is fewer than both Jordan Spieth (26 missed cuts) and Justin Thomas (27 missed cuts) – major champions and double-digit PGA Tour winners who are each age 26.

22. Woods has more wins in major championships (15) than missed cuts (9). Five of those missed cuts have come since 2014.

18. There are only two instances in the last 100 years where a player won a major championship by ten strokes or more. Tiger owns both (1997 Masters, 2000 U.S. Open).

17. There is only one instance in the last 70 years of a player leading any PGA Tour event by double-digits entering the final round: Tiger at the 2000 U.S. Open.

Request-1-1024x1024.png

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

GOAT.

I think my favorite is his streak of making the cut. Especially in a time where the fields were that much stronger. 

5. Tiger holds the recognized PGA Tour record for most consecutive events without a missed cut, at 144. There are only four other such streaks recognized by the Tour that are even HALF the length of Tiger’s.

But this one is great too.

26. Stroke differential from the field average measures how a player performs against his fellow competitors. There are eight instances in the last thirty PGA Tour seasons where a player beat the field, on average, by 2.6 strokes per round or more. They all belong to Tiger Woods.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Waiting for @David in FL’s favorites. 🙂

I thought we had a Tiger Woods catch-all thread so we wouldn’t clutter up the rest of the site with all this continuous fawning.  

My favorite remains when Elin took a 7-iron to him as he was backing over the fire hydrant.  As far as I know, no other golfer can claim that achievement.  :-D

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

I thought we had a Tiger Woods catch-all thread so we wouldn’t clutter up the rest of the site with all this continuous fawning.

That’s for the little things that don’t deserve their own topic.

And what you call fawning is a healthy level of appreciation.

20 hours ago, David in FL said:

My favorite remains when Elin took a 7-iron to him as he was backing over the fire hydrant.  As far as I know, no other golfer can claim that achievement.  :-D

A drunkard Tom Watson stealing another player's wife is about equal to that! :-P

42. Tiger won his 82nd career PGA Tour title this fall at the ZOZO Championship in Japan. Across his 82 victories, fellow players in those fields have been born from a span of 1922 (Doug Ford) to 1999 (Devon Bling).

I nerd out on things like this.

38. Tiger is a combined 14-1 in playoffs in his PGA and European Tour careers. The only player to beat him was Billy Mayfair at the 1998 Nissan Open.

I didn't know this. Unreal. 

21. The Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year has been awarded since 1954. Tiger Woods and LeBron James are the only individuals to earn the honor more than once

He should have won in 2019.

11. Woods will end this year ranked in the world top-10. His first career appearance in the top-10 came the week after he won the 1997 Masters. That week, Jumbo Ozaki was a few spots behind Woods, ranked 8th. Ozaki is currently 72 years old.

See 42 above, love the longevity and how his winning has spanned generations. 

7. In that same time span, players with an outright 54-hole lead of any size have won 46.8% of the time on the PGA Tour. Woods is 44-for-46 in those situations (95.7%).

Ice cold closer. One of his best stats imo.