IGNORED

Won a Set of PING G700 Green Dot Irons. What to Do?

Note: This thread is 1213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am relatively new to golf (never had a formal lesson). I am a 28-30 handicap and I am of shorter build (5'6). My current clubs are 15 year old clubs from a friend. Just wondering if I should get these clubs fitted to my specifications or if I should sell and  go into fitting fresh and buy a custom set from a fitter. Thanks!

@asalazar321 welcome to TST.   

First question, how often do you golf?   The new Ping clubs are a major improvement over your other clubs.    Usually golf clubs don't have a real good resale value.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Won a Set of PING G700 Green Dot Irons. What to Do?

That green color dot is 2 degrees upright. If your arm length is disproportionate to your 5’6” height they probably won’t fit you. You can send them back to Ping and they can bend them two color codes. The next thing is shaft flex. It is best to go to a authorized Ping pro shop to have them checked. Do not go to a big box store to have them checked, have a PGA professional do it for you.

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

@asalazar321 welcome to TST.   

First question, how often do you golf?   The new Ping clubs are a major improvement over your other clubs.    Usually golf clubs don't have a real good resale value.   

I probably golf once every 2 months - but am looking to get lessons / join my local club

1 hour ago, CharlieB said:

That green color dot is 2 degrees upright. If your arm length is disproportionate to your 5’6” height they probably won’t fit you. You can send them back to Ping and they can bend them two color codes. The next thing is shaft flex. It is best to go to a authorized Ping pro shop to have them checked. Do not go to a big box store to have them checked, have a PGA professional do it for you.

thanks for this. Understood, this is what I thought would be the issue. So my focus should be to go to Ping Proshop to have them fit me for shafts? (assuming you mean flex and length). 

If you decide to keep them, don't spend money on shafts!   Take them to a pro and have them fitted for length and lie.    Don't spend $$ if you only golf 6 times per years!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Nice clubs.  I suggest you go somewhere there is a lie board, be honest with them and tell them what you have and that you want to keep them but want to see what lie they should be bent to.  Then send them to Ping to bend if needed.  

Shadt length might be fine.  I’m the same height as you and was fitted for 2 upright because of where I was at impact.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
5 hours ago, Geoffrey Toulmin said:

@asalazar321, I came across this post because I am looking for some green dot ping g700s so if you want to sell them I will give you a fair price. That way you can go and get a new set that you like rather than some that are forced on you

FYI, the OP hasn’t been on the forum since January of 2020, but I’m glad you found the site! Welcome to TST

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 1213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!