IGNORED

I Quit the the Game, Now I'm Back

snapfade
Note: This thread is 1562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After walking by my ball after a nice drive, I just kept walking. I was done. Golf had become work, literally. I was practicing for the PAT, working at a private club, practicing 7 days a week either before or after shift. Up late doing a PGM degree course as well as apprentice stuff. I went from an 11 something to around a 6 in a relative short time with our good instructors and the PAT was being held on our course in a few months so I was feeling pretty good. I got to where I hated all things golf. Gone were the days of drinking beer and having fun. Every single shot I took counted.  I always said that if Tiger won another major I'd pick up the game again, well almost a year later, I have. I logged back onto here, spent 6 hrs Sat and 5 hrs Sunday on the putting green, and  now this week I am on the chipping green. I plan on playing my first official round Sunday afternoon. Anyone in the Cocoa Beach area feel free to stop by and watch the show. Point is, golf never leaves you once it bites. 

• Like 2

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to I Quit the the Game, Now I'm Back

I had to quit for nearly a year with a wrist issue back in the 80s, then for 18 months more recently after carpel tunnel and bone spur shoulder surgery. I probably was a more avid golfer each time because I didn't think about much of anything else. When I came back, I didn't care much how I played, but really appreciated just being on the course. The feel of a few good shots was all I needed to go home with. I stopped keeping score and found myself challenging myself for other things, like mustering the concentration and strength to hit a good shot when it was late in the round, the temperatures were in the 90s and the humidity was through the roof.

Don't quit... Drink a beer, talk to your friends. Don't bet on anything, but challenge yourself in your own little world for the fun of it.

There are a lot of other challenges you can find in this silly game. Stop keeping score and do some crazy stuff like intentionally playing short of greens, then challenging yourself to see how much you can get up and down.

Try playing bump and run all over the course instead of flying balls into greens, (obviously unless there is water)

Intentionally play into bunkers and count your sand saves.

Hit a fairway wood or hybrid off the tees and turn your course into something hundreds of yards longer. Or try playing with just irons from the ladies tees.

And I see you live in Merritt Island. I had 2 late friends who worked at NASA and lived in The Savannahs. I played the course there about 10 times. It's one of my favorites in Florida.

Edited by DennisMiller

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

I quit after my round on Sunday. ... I'll probably pick it back up some day. ... Probably depends on what the weather is like.

I think I quit after every round. My retirement from golf usually lasts around a day or two:-P

• Thumbs Up 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!