IGNORED

Have you ever recorded your swing?

Note: This thread is 5800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you record your swing?

• Yes, it helped me
    • Yes, but it didn't make any impact
    • No, but I've wanted to
    • No, what would the neighbors think?
    • And record over what? The halftime show with Janet Jackson? No!

my pro has. i leave the analysis to him.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I have twice, once myself and once with a pro. Both times I wish I never did it, and I think I know quite a bit about my golf swing. It made me overthink when I was over the ball, make sure I do this, make sure I do that. It got to the point I would stand over a shot for like 7 seconds, not being able to take the club back. After reading Rotella's books, I no longer have that problem.

I can honestly say Ill never videotape my swing again, at least for the purposes of breaking it down, maybe to share with people, but definitely not for analysis.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I just used my cell phone. It worked good enough to give me an idea of what the heck I was doing...
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Have you ever recorded your swing and did it really help you?

I've recorded my swing quite a few times, and it can definitely help. The main things I'd say to anyone who is thinking about recording your swing: make sure you setup the camera correctly, pick a model to compare yourself against, and don't get overly concerned with exact positions.

Make sure when setting up the camera to position it at the level of your belt buckle. From down-the-line position the camera half way between your feet and the ball, and have a club on the ground pointing in the direction of your target. From the face-on view have the camera in line with your belt buckle (again). After you hit shots give a thumbs up, thumbs down, or thumbs sideways to the camera so that when you play it back you know which were the shots you hit good, which were bad, and which were so-so. Some people say you should compare yourself to someone that is a similar height and build, but I don't believe that who you compare yourself to is a big deal. While players like Ernie Els and Nick Faldo may be 6'3" their clubs are proportionately sized, and their fundamentals (posture, etc) are still among the best in the game. Focus on comparing your basics and general positions to the basics and general positions of the model you choose. Look at posture, alignment, ball position, and grip in the setup. During the swing look at your spine angle (tilt away/toward the target face-on, and toward/away from the ball down-line), knee flex, and general movement of the big body parts (hips, shoulders, arms, legs, and head). You can download free software to slow down and analyze your swing. V1 Home: http://www.v1golfacademy.com/ You could pickup something like Leadbetter Interactive (for ~$100) and go through the step-by-step comparisons on there to Charles Howell III (ideal model) and the faulty golfer (bad example), and then you can either use Leadbetter's prescribed fixes, or find your own based on the fault. Finally you could submit your swings to an on-line academy, or show them on a forum like this and get feedback. Just be wary of whose advice you take. Some people have a better understanding of the setup and swing, and an idea of what is important and what is not. As far as what clubs to record: A mid-iron is the best to record since most pros swings you will find out there are swings with mid-irons. Drivers and wedges are good swings to record as well, and you can find comparisons for them relatively easily. Your swing isn't going to vary much from one club to another, so recording shots with all your clubs would be a waste of your time.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

As a matter of fact, I just got in not too long ago from recorded my swing, and I'm just now analyzing it for the first time. Im hoping it will cure my random hook that I pull out of my hat every now and then

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

It helped me with the position at the top, but especially with my tendency to make that Tiger Woods "dip" where I lose my spine angle resulting in a block or a handsy hook. Sometimes you just have to see something before you believe it. My teacher did comment that people with unique swings and body types can sometimes be harmed by video analysis and trying to make a pga tour swing.

• 2 months later...
I'm going to try and get my swing recorded soon.
Check out this website - it has movies of good swings that you can watch in slow motion.

In my Warbird Hot:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Reg Flex
3 Wood: Mercury Golf MR Jumbo 16*
Irons: X-20 4-AW
Putter: 33" Rossa FontanaShoes:Footjoy Contour

I had my swing recorded a few times during lessons. It's a great visual aid.

HiBore XLS 9.5* Driver

AMP 15* SF 3 Wood

R11 3 and 4 hybrid

AP1 712 5-GW

52* Gap Wedge

SV 56* Wedge

SV 60* Wedge

35" Melbourne Putter

Hex Black Tour

I first started recording my swing in the garage a few years ago. The saying goes "what you feel isn't real". I think it was Butch Harmon that said something to that nature. It means that what you feel you are doing in your swing, isn't what you really are doing. Recording my swing helped me with certain positions of the swing I was trying to get into. (I would compare my swing positions to a photo layout of Tigers swing.)

I would say my greatest leap in improvement came when I started recording my swing.

I'm going to try and get my swing recorded soon.

Here is another site with pro swing clips on it:

http://www.progolflesson.com/proswings.html

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a video/analysis lesson yesterday. I thought it was well worth the $90 as I had absolutely no idea I was swinging the way I was! I can see now why my scores were so inconsistent! I was videotaped swinging first my iron front and back views and then my driver front and back views. Using the Computer Coach Jr. Pro software, my swing was compared to (via split screen) to a tour pro.

I found that my spine angle was correct at address and impact. As was my shaft and shoulder plane and I kept my head down during my swing. I also found that my stance was too wide for my (short) height. I was losing alot of power in my swing due to the "chicken arms" on my downswing. My whole right side would collapse at the top of my backswing causing me to slide and I had no wrist rotation. After having all of these pointed out to me, my pro took me back to the driving range and bascially.....I have a new swing! I went through every club in my bag with this new swing but its gonna take a while to get used to it....the joys of golf!

My chix stix:

R7 Burner
Burner Woods and Hybrids
R7 CGB Max IronsKoa Wood

I used my phone at the driving range first time. Saw some major flaws, legs moving all over. After that I had real lesson with analysis. Seeing yourself is kind of startling the first time, you don't usually look as good as you might think.
TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

Note: This thread is 5800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!