IGNORED

Long Club Gapping/Setup

JGH65
Note: This thread is 1538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Currently I only have 13 clubs in the bag and I have been considering getting another long club to fill in at the top.

My bag goes from 4 iron (21*) to a hybrid that plays at 16.25*. I am thinking about getting a 3 wood and raising the loft of my hybrid to 18.5*. Would the 3* yardage gap between the two make sense, or would I be better off just adding a 3 iron? 

I’m also very interested to hear how everyone has their longer clubs set up.

37 minutes ago, JGH65 said:

Currently I only have 13 clubs in the bag and I have been considering getting another long club to fill in at the top.

My bag goes from 4 iron (21*) to a hybrid that plays at 16.25*. I am thinking about getting a 3 wood and raising the loft of my hybrid to 18.5*. Would the 3* yardage gap between the two make sense, or would I be better off just adding a 3 iron? 

It is more about the yardage gap than the loft gap. Say you hit your 4 iron 180 and your hybrid 200. You may want a 190 club and 210. You could adjust the hybrid to close the gap to the 4 iron.

What are your average distances?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

It is more about the yardage gap than the loft gap. Say you hit your 4 iron 180 and your hybrid 200. You may want a 190 club and 210. You could adjust the hybrid to close the gap to the 4 iron.

What are your average distances?

My hybrid is 230-240 give or take. 4 iron I would say is 200-205.

I don't think about the differences in loft and length, in the top of the bag, as gaps.  The driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, and hybrid are 9.5, 14, 18, and 19 degrees respectively.  I use whatever club I feel is appropriate considering the wind and terrain.  There is not, in other words, a 1 degree "yardage gap" between my 5 wood and my hybrid.  

P.S.  My 14th club is a left-handed Niblick.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

What are you trying for with an extra club? The hybrid you have is getting some solid distance as is the 4 iron. How often are you in between distance of 4 iron and hybrid? 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

10 minutes ago, JGH65 said:

My hybrid is 230-240 give or take. 4 iron I would say is 200-205.

That’s quite a gap. A higher lofted hybrid or 3 iron would fit between. A 3W would be on the high side.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 minutes ago, Piz said:

I don't think about the differences in loft and length, in the top of the bag, as gaps.  The driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, and hybrid are 9.5, 14, 18, and 19 degrees respectively.  I use whatever club I feel is appropriate considering the wind and terrain.  There is not, in other words, a 1 degree "yardage gap" between my 5 wood and my hybrid.  

P.S.  My 14th club is a left-handed Niblick.

That makes sense. I’ve only really played this hybrid in this loft, I don’t really know how far I would hit a higher or lower lofted wood/hybrid, that’s why I was trying to rely on degrees of loft.

2 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

What are you trying for with an extra club? The hybrid you have is getting some solid distance as is the 4 iron. How often are you in between distance of 4 iron and hybrid? 

A long par 3 is generally the most common time. I don’t necessarily “need” the extra club but it’s just something I’ve been thinking about.

Makes sense. If you have the spot and feel the club will be used why not. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Do you hit that hybrid well? I have found most people struggle with any hybrid under 17-18 degrees vs. a fairway wood equivalent. 16 degree hybrid is pretty stout.

I personally play a 3 wood, to a 19 degree hybrid, to a 4 iron. I can play the hybrid as a 2 iron/ 5 wood or choke down an inch and get 3 iron length from it.

36 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Do you hit that hybrid well? I have found most people struggle with any hybrid under 17-18 degrees vs. a fairway wood equivalent. 16 degree hybrid is pretty stout.

I personally play a 3 wood, to a 19 degree hybrid, to a 4 iron. I can play the hybrid as a 2 iron/ 5 wood or choke down an inch and get 3 iron length from it.

It’s probably one of my most consistent clubs, but to be fair, I haven’t tried a 3 wood in a couple years. Your setup is similar to what I’m considering, it’s just a matter of whether the 14th club will fill the 3 wood role, or fill the gap between 4 iron and my current hybrid setup.

I realize that may just come down to personal preference, but I was curious to hear everyone’s thoughts.

3 hours ago, JGH65 said:

It depends not on the static loft of the club, but the reasonable average yardage gap you get with the respective clubs.  This is why you need to go and test on a good LM, especially since "bunching" can occur at the higher end of your bag if you aren't striking it well.  I like to see a good 15 yards gapping in this area.  Take your clubs and gap test them with the various hybrids, woods, and tinkering of lofts til you get it figured out.  

That said, I have a 3w lofted up to 17* (I have a low spin 3w), 19* 3h, 22* 4h, 25* 5h, and then to my irons.  These work for me, but your mileage may vary.

Note: This thread is 1538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!