Jump to content
IGNORED

Reshafting DCI 962's....


WillieT
 Share

Recommended Posts

Okay - here's the scoop: Just picked up a set of these irons (2i-SW) at a local consignment shop for $30.  They have been recently regripped and look to have been reshafted at some point with Rifle FCM 6.5 shafts.  I don't swing fast enough for those shafts to be effective so I am thinking about putting new shafts in.  Are they worth it?  Have been using 845s Silver Scots up until late last fall, now using Callaway Diablo Edges in graphite shafts.  I still prefer the look of a blade type iron at address and was wondering if the 962s are worth changing to a shaft more along my swing speed.  Thoughts on this?      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Are the heads in great condition? Could you get 2-3 seasons out of them? If you've ever wanted to try club building this could be a great project for you. Those heads take .355 taper tip shafts. You can pickup a set of KBS pulls 4-PW for around a hundred bucks. Plus ferules and grips it's a $150 or less project if you do it yourself.  Only you can say if it's worth it to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


50 minutes ago, 1puttit said:

Are the heads in great condition? Could you get 2-3 seasons out of them? If you've ever wanted to try club building this could be a great project for you. Those heads take .355 taper tip shafts. You can pickup a set of KBS pulls 4-PW for around a hundred bucks. Plus ferules and grips it's a $150 or less project if you do it yourself.  Only you can say if it's worth it to you.

The heads look to be in really great shape.  Will take and post a few pics tomorrow.  Thinking easily 2-3 seasons and I am all about projects. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/2/2020 at 10:43 PM, WillieT said:

The heads look to be in really great shape.  Will take and post a few pics tomorrow.  Thinking easily 2-3 seasons and I am all about projects. 

Here are the pics as promised - the 7i photos are typical of all the clubs.  Even the 2i and 3i show signs of play....

DCI 7i back.jpg

DCI 7i face.jpg

DCI 962 Iron Set.jpg

962 7i.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you're doing it for the satisfaction of the project, go right ahead, but...

If I were you, I'd simply play them in their current form and/or spend money on another set of irons with a shaft you prefer. Plenty of old-but-good irons on eBay or from used equipment dealers - I have a set of Titleist DCI Black irons from 1993 that still look pretty fresh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


20 hours ago, Coder said:

If you're doing it for the satisfaction of the project, go right ahead, but...

If I were you, I'd simply play them in their current form and/or spend money on another set of irons with a shaft you prefer. Plenty of old-but-good irons on eBay or from used equipment dealers - I have a set of Titleist DCI Black irons from 1993 that still look pretty fresh!

Not bad advice - took them to the local course for some time on the driving range.  The clubs definitely swing different from the 845s as well as the Diablo Egde irons.  The 6.5 Rifle shafts are definitely much stiffer than what I am used to....but overall I had good distance and accuracy.  Thinking I will take them on the course the next time out to see how they play in actual round play.  Then I will decide whether to reshaft or not....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, this could be a fun project if that's what you want to do. The clubs are not worth much so from a pure financial point of view this is not the way to go.

I build clubs as a hobby so for me the equation is a little different. Sometimes I'll pickup a set that I've always wanted to play but have the wrong shaft but it's a shaft I know one of my kids can play. I'll pickup a used set of shafts on ebay, swap the shafts and then use the leftover shafts to build something for one of my boys.  My wife says it keeps me off the streets :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Even if you do the reshafting yourself, it is going to be 150-300 depending on the grips and shafts.  If you can get "pulls" off ebay, it would be a bit easier.  I have a set of these irons, they were nice back about 26 years ago.  I would not spend the money to reshaft.  A better idea would be to find a used set with grips and shafts that match your needs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/8/2020 at 2:08 PM, 1puttit said:

Yes, this could be a fun project if that's what you want to do. The clubs are not worth much so from a pure financial point of view this is not the way to go.

I build clubs as a hobby so for me the equation is a little different. Sometimes I'll pickup a set that I've always wanted to play but have the wrong shaft but it's a shaft I know one of my kids can play. I'll pickup a used set of shafts on ebay, swap the shafts and then use the leftover shafts to build something for one of my boys.  My wife says it keeps me off the streets 🙂

That's how I was looking at this project - to get some seat time on the reshafting game.  

On 2/11/2020 at 8:06 AM, Rippy_72 said:

Even if you do the reshafting yourself, it is going to be 150-300 depending on the grips and shafts.  If you can get "pulls" off ebay, it would be a bit easier.  I have a set of these irons, they were nice back about 26 years ago.  I would not spend the money to reshaft.  A better idea would be to find a used set with grips and shafts that match your needs.

I have been researching the shafts and it would not be a cheap exchange.  It would definitely have to be a "labor of love".   As an FYI, after playing nine with them earlier in the week at the local course, I am content to leave them as is - shafts, grips, etc. They are a little longer than my old 845s even though the lofts are identical.  Basically it was not enough as I felt like I already knew how far they would go  I even took the 2i along just to have some fun while playing.  Thanks to everyone for great advice.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 11 months later...

Just wanted to give a slightly oddball perspective on this issue, there is a " long shot" option, I'll explain. The shaft you mentioned came out at a time when to my knowledge there weren't as many shaft options available outside of Tru Temper offerings. I have seen many posts where golfers have expressed great frustration not being able to replicate the feel they had from these shafts from yesteryear. So.....there may be someone out there looking for these shafts, who will pay to take them off your hands, hopefully they are in reasonable shape internally/rust wise. I had a 7 iron (5.5 flex) break on me from this set, and had to replace with a different shaft. Good luck with these either way, I won't get rid of my set.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Still have the 6.0’s in there as I have not found a great deal on some pulls.  But will keep that idea going - to maybe see if some one would want the pulls.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Best 92 ever for me. 2nd time on this course that has many elevation changes and hidden hazards. 6 penalty strokes and never really put anything together. But also hit everything solid. I'll take it any day.
    • Day 13 Full swing iron practice with a 6i, 8i and GW.
    • Obviously, if a person made 100% of them on perfect greens, then on substandard greens they would miss putts. So, it would never benefit them.  Let's say a golfer makes 50% of putts on perfect greens, and on bad greens 50% of putts made were deflected away, and 50% of putts missed were deflected in, then their made % would not change.  I don't know we could assume that the green would cause 50% of the putts to miss for the golfer who made 100% on perfect greens, but it would cause a certain % of their putts to miss.  I would say that it hurts the better putters more and maybe doesn't effect bad putters as much. A horrible putter it may never help 😛. If you're not even close for a deflection. 
    • Day 204.  Several times during football Sunday, I took 5-10 minute breaks to hit a few practice balls.  As always, the focus was on the slow correct swings.  I think several small sessions might be better for me than one extended long session:  I don't always have good discipline as I go past the 15 minute mark, and sometimes I catch myself raking in a ball and hitting it right away;  by contrast, when I consciously start a short session, I'm going to at least set in with what I set to do. 
    • (Written without reading anyone else's replies) I voted the difference would increase.  Here's my line of thinking.  The good putter would have been in or close on the ideal surface;  so while the bumps can keep some out, it can also push some that were going to be close into the cup.  Luck at least has a chance to be at least as beneficial as it is hurtful.  By contrast, the poor putters can't really benefit much from luck -- sure, it might cause a ball to finish closer to the cup, but they aren't missing by two bumps instead of one.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. AmirReza
      AmirReza
      (34 years old)
    2. BushwoodCC
      BushwoodCC
      (55 years old)
    3. cozelos
      cozelos
      (36 years old)
    4. RollingStoppie
      RollingStoppie
      (52 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...