IGNORED

Reshafting DCI 962's....

WillieT
Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay - here's the scoop: Just picked up a set of these irons (2i-SW) at a local consignment shop for $30.  They have been recently regripped and look to have been reshafted at some point with Rifle FCM 6.5 shafts.  I don't swing fast enough for those shafts to be effective so I am thinking about putting new shafts in.  Are they worth it?  Have been using 845s Silver Scots up until late last fall, now using Callaway Diablo Edges in graphite shafts.  I still prefer the look of a blade type iron at address and was wondering if the 962s are worth changing to a shaft more along my swing speed.  Thoughts on this?      

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Are the heads in great condition? Could you get 2-3 seasons out of them? If you've ever wanted to try club building this could be a great project for you. Those heads take .355 taper tip shafts. You can pickup a set of KBS pulls 4-PW for around a hundred bucks. Plus ferules and grips it's a $150 or less project if you do it yourself.  Only you can say if it's worth it to you.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

50 minutes ago, 1puttit said:

Are the heads in great condition? Could you get 2-3 seasons out of them? If you've ever wanted to try club building this could be a great project for you. Those heads take .355 taper tip shafts. You can pickup a set of KBS pulls 4-PW for around a hundred bucks. Plus ferules and grips it's a $150 or less project if you do it yourself.  Only you can say if it's worth it to you.

The heads look to be in really great shape.  Will take and post a few pics tomorrow.  Thinking easily 2-3 seasons and I am all about projects. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

On 2/2/2020 at 10:43 PM, WillieT said:

The heads look to be in really great shape.  Will take and post a few pics tomorrow.  Thinking easily 2-3 seasons and I am all about projects. 

Here are the pics as promised - the 7i photos are typical of all the clubs.  Even the 2i and 3i show signs of play....

DCI 7i back.jpg

DCI 7i face.jpg

DCI 962 Iron Set.jpg

962 7i.jpg

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

If you're doing it for the satisfaction of the project, go right ahead, but...

If I were you, I'd simply play them in their current form and/or spend money on another set of irons with a shaft you prefer. Plenty of old-but-good irons on eBay or from used equipment dealers - I have a set of Titleist DCI Black irons from 1993 that still look pretty fresh!

20 hours ago, Coder said:

If you're doing it for the satisfaction of the project, go right ahead, but...

If I were you, I'd simply play them in their current form and/or spend money on another set of irons with a shaft you prefer. Plenty of old-but-good irons on eBay or from used equipment dealers - I have a set of Titleist DCI Black irons from 1993 that still look pretty fresh!

Not bad advice - took them to the local course for some time on the driving range.  The clubs definitely swing different from the 845s as well as the Diablo Egde irons.  The 6.5 Rifle shafts are definitely much stiffer than what I am used to....but overall I had good distance and accuracy.  Thinking I will take them on the course the next time out to see how they play in actual round play.  Then I will decide whether to reshaft or not....

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Yes, this could be a fun project if that's what you want to do. The clubs are not worth much so from a pure financial point of view this is not the way to go.

I build clubs as a hobby so for me the equation is a little different. Sometimes I'll pickup a set that I've always wanted to play but have the wrong shaft but it's a shaft I know one of my kids can play. I'll pickup a used set of shafts on ebay, swap the shafts and then use the leftover shafts to build something for one of my boys.  My wife says it keeps me off the streets :)

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

Even if you do the reshafting yourself, it is going to be 150-300 depending on the grips and shafts.  If you can get "pulls" off ebay, it would be a bit easier.  I have a set of these irons, they were nice back about 26 years ago.  I would not spend the money to reshaft.  A better idea would be to find a used set with grips and shafts that match your needs.

On 2/8/2020 at 2:08 PM, 1puttit said:

Yes, this could be a fun project if that's what you want to do. The clubs are not worth much so from a pure financial point of view this is not the way to go.

I build clubs as a hobby so for me the equation is a little different. Sometimes I'll pickup a set that I've always wanted to play but have the wrong shaft but it's a shaft I know one of my kids can play. I'll pickup a used set of shafts on ebay, swap the shafts and then use the leftover shafts to build something for one of my boys.  My wife says it keeps me off the streets 🙂

That's how I was looking at this project - to get some seat time on the reshafting game.  

On 2/11/2020 at 8:06 AM, Rippy_72 said:

Even if you do the reshafting yourself, it is going to be 150-300 depending on the grips and shafts.  If you can get "pulls" off ebay, it would be a bit easier.  I have a set of these irons, they were nice back about 26 years ago.  I would not spend the money to reshaft.  A better idea would be to find a used set with grips and shafts that match your needs.

I have been researching the shafts and it would not be a cheap exchange.  It would definitely have to be a "labor of love".   As an FYI, after playing nine with them earlier in the week at the local course, I am content to leave them as is - shafts, grips, etc. They are a little longer than my old 845s even though the lofts are identical.  Basically it was not enough as I felt like I already knew how far they would go  I even took the 2i along just to have some fun while playing.  Thanks to everyone for great advice.    

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

• 11 months later...

Just wanted to give a slightly oddball perspective on this issue, there is a " long shot" option, I'll explain. The shaft you mentioned came out at a time when to my knowledge there weren't as many shaft options available outside of Tru Temper offerings. I have seen many posts where golfers have expressed great frustration not being able to replicate the feel they had from these shafts from yesteryear. So.....there may be someone out there looking for these shafts, who will pay to take them off your hands, hopefully they are in reasonable shape internally/rust wise. I had a 7 iron (5.5 flex) break on me from this set, and had to replace with a different shaft. Good luck with these either way, I won't get rid of my set.

Still have the 6.0’s in there as I have not found a great deal on some pulls.  But will keep that idea going - to maybe see if some one would want the pulls.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!