IGNORED

Removing old epoxy from inside steel shafts

Jayclay
Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello - I bought some used steel shafts with some epoxy still on the inside of the shafts. 

My question is, do I really need to remove the old epoxy, and if so, what is the easiest way to remove it? 

I'm guessing I'll need to remove it so it doesn't break off inside the shaft at some point and rattle around.

Thanks very much

DSCN0302.JPG

10 minutes ago, Jayclay said:

Hello - I bought some used steel shafts with some epoxy still on the inside of the shafts. 

My question is, do I really need to remove the old epoxy, and if so, what is the easiest way to remove it? 

I'm guessing I'll need to remove it so it doesn't break off inside the shaft at some point and rattle around.

Thanks very much

DSCN0302.JPG

You either need to remove it or drill a hole in it otherwise you will not be able to put a new head on.

I heat up the shaft then dig out the epoxy with a sharp picking tool. I then brush clean the inside with one of these brush and a hand drill. It cleans out the old epoxy.

Some shafts will have swing weights in them as well. Just pick them out after heating. I just use a heat gun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You don't need to clean them out completely, although I always do. You do want to drill at least a small hole, say between 1/8 and 1/16 diameter, all the way though the epoxy plug. If you don't have this vent hole, you will run into unnecessary issues when you go to epoxy b/c of the pressure build up pushing the shafts back out of the hosel.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks - if I drill the hole it seems like the new epoxy would fill it and adhere to it as well. I hadn't thought of the pressure build up. Makes total sense to me - thanks very much. J

Just make sure you don't over do it with the new epoxy, especially if you don't clean out the old epoxy fully as it can squeeze further up the shaft which would not be ideal.

Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!