IGNORED

Senior player development

phillyk
Note: This thread is 1527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Senior Player Development   

11 members have voted

1. 1. For those 50 and over, have you participated in a clinic or other player development program?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. For those 50 and over, if you were to participate in a clinic, which sounds like the better option?

• 2 9 hole playing lessons with 3 others
    • 4 single hour range clinics with 3 or more others
    • Combo of 2 range lessons and 1 9 hole playing lesson with 3 others
    • Other? Explain.
  3. 3. Same group, would you enjoy the option for an alcoholic beverage included during or after the lessons?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn’t matter.

I’m looking to start several Player Development programs this year at my club. We have a few active 55+ communities popping up and several households have already shown interest in playing at the course. Of the older crowd that regularly plays, they would not necessarily enjoy a range lesson, but they would enjoy a playing lesson. So seeing if TST community has had any experience and/or suggestions for programs they’ve liked.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Old guy here.

I'm thinking an on course playing lesson won't be effective..especially in a 4some (your focus on the individual players are too spread out) and if the players aren't of the same playing ability....the better players won't like playing with a bunch of unskilled participants.

I think the most effective package is 3some's...range, chipping and putting sessions...... where you can fair share your time with the individuals.

Also instruct on golf conditioning...we old people need to stay and improve flexibility to improve ball striking and distance.

Do the optional libation and appetizers sessions after the lessons....they are there to learn....not socialize during the lesson.

I know 3 middle aged Korean ladies that are mid 50's but look early 40's...I could send them down to help you market and participate in the program...guaranteed 25+ guys will sign up for your programs.

All the guys in a league here always want to get the host to pair them into their groups.😁😁

I’m only 50 but I voted for the mix of range and playing lessons. Perhaps you could make groupings based on skill level? However, I think if you did an on course teaching you could make it work as a scramble-like format. Discuss the tee shot strategy for the hole. Then have them each hit their tee shots. You could just choose a spot, use one of their tee shots yet discuss strategies for the other two. The next hole you would take a tee shot that requires a different shot/strategy and so forth. The range would allow you to see where your students are and help you organize groups that seem compatible.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I voted mix of range and one 9 hole round. Range definitely helps your swing more, but on course help would be beneficial. I’ll be 60 next month.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!