IGNORED

Grip “Fitting”

Note: This thread is 1471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So now that I got a lot of time on my hands I’ve noticed that my wedge grips are horrendous. They are probably 10 years old original Titleist grips. I regripped my irons last year but they were cheap chinese grips that are probably too thin. And nevertheless I’d like to have the same grips on all 13 of my clubs. 

So the obvious choice when reading up was the tour velvet. But when I checked what size I should buy I came across the Golf Pride fitting website. You put in some stats and it throws out whichever of their grips is best suited for you. For me it shows me the MCC Plus 4 standard grip. Since they cost almost 1/2 of the Tour Velvets I’m at the very least intrigued by them. 

So what are your thoughts?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like almost any "new" grips. The MCC Plus 4 standard is a good choice. I think they also make an ALIGN version of that grip, which you may want to check out.

BTW - If you are regripping your own clubs check out the PURE grips. Way easier, cleaner, less smelly to install than anything else I've seen out there. My personal favorite is the DTX. The PURE grips also come in a fun variety of colors. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Today I played my first round with a new set of irons that I bought off of craigslist yesterday (Titleist 735.CM), and the grips on them (GP control core) are way larger than the crosslines on my Nikes. I didn't really notice a difference though. I think that grip size is a pretty personal thing, and whatever makes you feel the most comfortable are the best bet. For me, I feel like I could pick up anything and be comfortable in the first couple of swings. Maybe at my level grips make no difference and this is why I feel that way.

Edit*

If you have always played standard sized grips, I don't see a reason to change that if you liked them. For me, my driver, woods, hybrid have always had smaller grips than my irons, but these new irons take it to a new level.

Edited by Bonvivant
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

The MCC Plus 4 is a good grip.   I had them on my old clubs.   They work great in all kinds of weather.   @ChetlovesMer, though gave you another great option.    Think about the conditions you usually play.    Against my better judgement I went with the fitter's suggestion and bought GP CP2 Pro.  They are great in dry conditions but are very slick when wet.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, Killa said:

But when I checked what size I should buy I came across the Golf Pride fitting website. You put in some stats and it throws out whichever of their grips is best suited for you. For me it shows me the MCC Plus 4 standard grip. Since they cost almost 1/2 of the Tour Velvets I’m at the very least intrigued by them. 

So what are your thoughts?

There are so many good grips out there...only you can tell which one feels good to you....don't neccessarily go with what the charts says for you...it's only a guideline and doesn't give you feedback what type of grip feels good for you....you just need to experiment what best suits you.

I have never seen MCC Plus 4's that are less expensive than the Tour Velvets unless those MCC's are fake,...TV's are generally always cheaper than MCC's.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

I have never seen MCC Plus 4's that are less expensive than the Tour Velvets unless those MCC's are fake,...TV's are generally always cheaper than MCC's.

+1   

Now I’m really confused. Because there are a lot of MCC for sale on ebay from british sellers that seem like the real deal. 

For example this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303507608969

8 hours ago, Killa said:

Now I’m really confused. Because there are a lot of MCC for sale on ebay from british sellers that seem like the real deal. 

For example this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303507608969

That's a great price.   When I had to replace one it cost me a little over $9 usd.  Buying a complete set seems to be cheaper.

Edited by dennyjones

• Administrator

Many grips on eBay are fakes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to Grip “Fitting”

Thing is that even if I buy the ones that cost twice as much I cannot be sure they aren’t fake. And there aren’t any real golf shops near me where I could compare side by side. 

4 hours ago, Killa said:

Thing is that even if I buy the ones that cost twice as much I cannot be sure they aren’t fake. And there aren’t any real golf shops near me where I could compare side by side. 

Not sure what its like in Italy but in the states we have multiple reputable online stores that sell the real thing and only the real thing. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

3 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Not sure what its like in Italy but in the states we have multiple reputable online stores that sell the real thing and only the real thing. 

I’m not in Italy, I’m in Slovenia. I live about an hours drive from the border, but I do take multiple trips to Italy per year for golf/shopping/work congress/airports. 

• Like 1

Yeah, probably fake ... they go for $11 each retail here.  Tour Velvets are half that.  Tour Velvet also comes in “plus 4” as well and is around the same price as regular tour velvet.

i have the MCC plus 4 on mine and love them.  Clubs came with them.  When I regrip them myself it’ll be the tour velvet plus 4

I’ve found the tour velvet plus 4s on golfbidder for a reasonable price, about 6,2€ when you order them in bulk. The MCCs are nearly double that. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I’ve got the Tour Velvet +4s. I didn’t know how and when to regrip them and checked all possible solutions on line. Hardware stores are closed so I couldn’t get a great solvent. So today I decided I’ll just cut one grip off and try it with air pressure. 

Let me tell you something - there is no way in hell I’m ever putting a grip on with solvent and double sided tape. This was really easy, the readjustments were also easy and I was scared for a second that it might not be good enough but once you squeeze the air from underneath the grip it’s really secure. 

Note: This thread is 1471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!