IGNORED

OT: What I hate about Golf

Note: This thread is 5821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Vijay couldn't even afford golf balls when he was a young golfer, and he turned out pretty damn good. I live in a pretty wealthy town, and most of the kids have nice clubs, but they still try to get better. No one I have met said daddy bought me the new ping's or what not, they say I got new clubs and I think they will help me. So i know what you are talking about but I don't think it happens as much as you say it does. You are a great golfer just focus on your game, and we all hope it gets better, but it is not very necessary to worry about how people are brought up because there will always be a different story, so if you can play Oakmont you're pretty damn lucky. I live 15 minutes away and I will probably only get to play the course1 time, so I think you should just have fun with it and try to get better.
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

And by the way, if you mean equipment wise, buying better clubs doesnt make you a better player..
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

And by the way, if you mean equipment wise, buying better clubs doesnt make you a better player..

true dat-my dad plays callaway x20's, has clevland cg12 wedges, a new burner driver, and he still sucks.........but then so do i

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

people who slow down the pace of play. one time this group of old ladys where in front of me they took half in hour on one hole

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

i live in pittsburgh too i dont play at oakmont but i do have nice clubs i hit the cheap courses like north park and pittgburgh north thank god for 10$ rounds

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

I feel so bad for this guy. Life sucks. I would hate to be a 2 and have to play Oakmont.

In my Sticks stand bag:
Driver: 4DX Draw 9.5
3W: Pinseeker Ti
3H: 4DX IW
4H: 4DX IWIrons: X-20 steelWedges: CG14 52, MP-T 56Putter: Marxman malletGPS: SkyCaddie SG5

Hahaha,

just like everyone else has said, be thankful for what you do have and go from there. Sure these kids may get clubs and stuff handed to them, but they have to put in the time and effort. The only thing I will say is that private lessons can get expensive and most likely the money the kids (or their parents) shell out for them doesn't put a damper on their income. Nevertheless, if you want to be big, get yourself noticed. BTW, who were the kids in the second video you posted?
In My Grom Stand Bag:

Driver:
Big Bertha 460 Graphite 10°
Woods: Big Bertha 3&5 Graphite
Hybrid: r7 Rescue 19° Irons: 06 Big Bertha #4-SWPutter: 35 in. Rossie Mallet *Soon to be Bettinardi C03H 34"Ball: ProV1x

No I mean I am thankful to work at Oakmont..I am just saying that it sucks when you see kids that can afford to go to HIGH SCHOOL just for golf like the Leadbetter Academy. I mean this Peter Uihlein kid goes to an Academy instead of a regular high school like the rest of us did. He gets his own coach launch monitor and has all of the resources to succeed. Also Tournaments cost soo much money. I played in my 1st and only tournament on the Pittsburgh Heritage Tour as a guest and i finished 4th. Im just saying that it costs soo much money to enter these tournaments that people like us are already excluded from. These Tournaments were like 60 dollars to enter and i cant even begin to imagine what an AJGA Tournament costs to play--Im just mad because there are really good players on this forum site that cant afford to enter tournaments and possibly make it to a mini tour or something. Its just sad.

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

No I mean I am thankful to work at Oakmont..I am just saying that it sucks when you see kids that can afford to go to HIGH SCHOOL just for golf like the Leadbetter Academy. I mean this Peter Uihlein kid goes to an Academy instead of a regular high school like the rest of us did. He gets his own coach launch monitor and has all of the resources to succeed. Also Tournaments cost soo much money. I played in my 1st and only tournament on the Pittsburgh Heritage Tour as a guest and i finished 4th. Im just saying that it costs soo much money to enter these tournaments that people like us are already excluded from. These Tournaments were like 60 dollars to enter and i cant even begin to imagine what an AJGA Tournament costs to play--Im just mad because there are really good players on this forum site that cant afford to enter tournaments and possibly make it to a mini tour or something. Its just sad.

This is golf, not baseball. Didn't you say you were 21? There's still time... if you are as good as you say you are and are serious about advancing to the next level then keep playing and working on your game as much as you can. Get a job, make some money, then you can pay to enter these tournaments. You are right, some young kids are given every opportunity to succeed whereas others have to work for it. It is what it is.... not all kids who are set up to succeed do and not all kids who have little resources fail. I'm sure there are other 21 year olds with as much talent as you who think you are handed every opportunity by getting to play Oakmont and such.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Anyone can caddie at Oakmont. Trust me. If you have two legs and a good back then you can be at Oakmont or any other country club. I just live near the place

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

well, I'd have to disagree with that, to a certain extent. While you cannot buy a game, and the best clubs in the world will not single-handedly make you a great golfer, buying better clubs that perform better, and are fitted to your game definitely help you play better. I guess in fewer words: Buying better clubs doesn't make you a better player, but they will help you play better(to a certain extent).

. . .I hate the 19th hole because it always turns into the 23rd or 24th hole and I'm home too late!!

Mike

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

I just registered here today because of this thread. I know Peter and let me tell you that he is not GIVEN his game. Yes, he goes to the Academy, but number 1 ranked Junior and AJGA Player of the Year in 2005 and 2007 does not come without busting his butt when he practices. Do not hate him because he can afford to play in and win AJGA Tournaments. Just to let you know also, a 2 handicap would be hard to carry when you are playing at such high level golf.

• 4 weeks later...
i think it really helps to get along if you re monied. If you re not and have to pay your own way and work, you don't get the practice time etc. Then also theres the risk that you don't make it and all that time work and money is wasted...ive seen it happen a few times.

But if you had money to start with, theres less worry and pressure and you'll probably play better because of that fact.

TW broke the mold to a certain extent- he wasnt froma wealthy/privileged background.

Ive grown up with a lot of good amateurs, and in fairness the best ones who are making it have wealthy parents- the support that is required financially to make it is substantial.

R7, I think you are being a little hard on yourself and also people like Peter Uihlein. You have every right to feel aggrieved at the extra handicap that not being as wealthy as some other has put upon you, but it depends on how you use channel it. If I was in your position, and being a 2 handicap you should be applauded, I would not get mad, I'd get even. Don't look so much at what you are lacking, look at what you have achieved. You have your own battle ahead getting down to scratch, don't lose your focus by being affected by others. I wish you well

I know it has already been mentioned but Vijay Singh used to have to sneak into the golf course to play,getting there through a sewer!! I don't think the course in Nadi, Fiji would have been much to play on and test your game compared with a place like Oakmont but he found a way.

Peter U still has pressures and expectations placed on him, sure he may be cocky but the tournaments he has won didn't have his cashed up parents swinging his clubs for him. I appreciate the sentiment that rich kids have it easier in that they don't have to worry about the money side of it but surely in a land like the US, where we hear the entrepreneur is celebrated, there is a way of raising cash compared with the poverty of a place like Fiji.
KGC- edge bag
580 XD 9.5* harrison striper Ti S
// v-steel 15* S//rescue 17* S
710 AP 2 3 ir + 755 4- 9 S//vokey 200 48.06 / 54.14
sm
60.08// studio design 1 4*

• 1 month later...
Not worth your time or energy to get upset about things you can't control, IMHO.

By the way there is more to life than being great at golf.

In my Titleist Premium Stand Bag

909D3 8.5 VS Proto 70 X
909 f2 13.5 V2 75 x
G10 15 Degree Grafalloy Red X MP-32 3-pw X100 Vokey Spin 52, 56 SS Newport 2 Pro V1

yes it's upsetting when people are handed things on a silver spoon
2. it SUCKS when people are more fortunate than you.

but think about things this way. AT LEAST YOU'RE ALIVE & PLAYING THE SPORT.

if you make 26,000 you've got more money than 90% of the population
if you have $500 in your bank account, you're better than 94%

you're young. strive to be the best that you can with what you've got.

my father & mother immigrated to this country. they worked hard and my mom was a nurse making $30 a week. THIRTY A WEEK. Yeah even in the 70's that still = sh** money.

What'd they do? They worked hard. They worked smart. They're sitting on millions. Do I see that $? No, they don't want to spoil me, and I've worked my a** off to be able to afford a sport that can get expensive.

I consider myself fortunate enough to be here, typing this message after playing 2 rounds of golf this weekend.

Don't get pissed off at others for what others better off have. Concentrate on what you can do to better your situation.

and guess what? you can buy clubs..you can buy lessons....yes they all help...but you don't buy a swing and your game.. all of that only goes so far.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!