IGNORED

30-Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

Note: This thread is 741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm going to go back and do these -- I stopped way early when these were new.  I'm going to be taking videos, too:  are they more appropriate in this thread or in my "My Swing" thread?  When doing these live, one of them led to the feedback I had a really bad grip, although I recognize I might have forfeited my chance to get feedback on these given the length of time since they were first posted.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Today + the three days prior, I did (well, re-did, if memory serves) the first four days of this challenge.  I debated posting the videos at all, or posting them to my "My Swing" thread, but it seems this thread is the right place.  I hope it's okay to post videos of me doing these so far after the initial challenge.  

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4:

I'm not sure what frequency I should post these.  My goal is that, by the end of August, I will have completed all 30.  I know I have some external plans during this range, so I probably won't be doing them every day, but I do intend to finally complete all of them (and to go back if I'm doing something wrong, or if an error of mine is discovered, as it was on first pass, to fix it).

These are videos of me practicing the drill after doing so;  I didn't record me live.  For example, I don't think anyone would want to see a video of me spending five minutes just looking at what my club looks like early in the downswing (and trying to figure out what it looked like).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

I watched day three and you’re doing it kinda lackadaisically. Put some effort into it. Try to look at what you’re doing. Really STRETCH the arms out or whatever it is you’re trying to do. TURN.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

During today's practice I thought I was re-doing day 3, but with more energy, really stretching and turning.  Reviewing the video, it looks more like I was just making angry faces.  I am not going to post that one.  Instead, I just reviewed the other on-time posted day 3 videos, and I think I have a better idea of what to do tomorrow when I try this one again.  My goal is to ultimately have done all 30 correctly (not just making movements).

As I said in the "5+ minutes practice" thread, I really like the day 5 drill, which I also did today.  It felt different hitting the ball, and I would imagine my (now about a month old, I should get new video of a swing) latest full-swing shots on Evolvr don't show me doing that (I haven't gone back to check).  I don't know where that fits on priority pieces, so I won't over-do this, but it's good to get that different feeling.

Then again I just made two "observations" about my swing/practice based on feel, which is something I should know better than to do unless I label it speculation.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Setting up for day 6.  I cannot remember ever gripping down on the club when chipping.  It sounds like that's a fault in my setup, as I looked at a few videos from 15 months ago of others doing the drill and it appears that's a universal.  So I did that in today's practice.

As for day 5's, I'm also including yesterday's video of it even though I filmed it before I saw Erik's day-5 commentary on what others are missing (not checking toe down at A6, etc).  When I do day 5 again later today, I'll explicitly check for the things mentioned.

(also, I really need to set the camera up higher... I must have done something wrong in settings because this video looks awful, and not just because I'm in it)

The video for today's day 6 was my third set of a half dozen or so dimes.  I think I must have something wrong with either my drill set up or my chipping because on most, I managed to successfully hit the front dime without moving the back one (there's a disaster in the middle of the video, feel free to laugh).  But I saw that better players than I am saying this was a hard drill, and I know my short game is a weakness of mine relative to my handicap level, so I doubt I'm somehow just really good at chipping shots. 

I'll come back and do more practice later today, but I want to keep checking in.

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 2 weeks later...

Can I get a form check for the day 9 drill?  From the conversations as-it-happened, it seems important, and in watching the video, the swing faults described sound very familiar, to the point where one of the faults made me think "isn't that what I'm supposed to do?" ... which makes me think I probably do that, or at least on some level, am trying to.

Anyway, in doing the drill today (start-and-stop), I can't help but feel I missed something, so I'm hoping I can get some feedback to let me know if I'm doing this right or wrong, in hopes I can move into doing it correctly. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator

You're going too far through. Stop (or try to) when the stick is about horizontal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

You're going too far through. Stop (or try to) when the stick is about horizontal.

Thank you!  I'll work on that.  I don't have good light for video in that room so I'll take the video tomorrow.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

Here I am, yesterday, doing the day 11 drill.  This represents my status after about ten minutes or so of doing the drill.  I really like it, and I can see how it will help me get better, and I plan to do this one more regularly.  However, I'm not sure I'm doing it right (similar with the snapping sticks drill, where I was stopping wrong).  There's even a really bad putt in this video that I was tempted to edit out, but decided to leave in (since my bad shots are instructive to how I'm doing it wrong, I think).

As for other drills, I'm not sure how many I should be posting videos.  Part of me feels like I'm semi-spamming this thread (and I really should have done these 15-16 months ago).

And in looking at my last few videos, including two I sent to Evolvr a week ago, it looks like my tripod gets tilted, I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong there.

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 2 weeks later...

Days 10 and 12 are going to revolutionize my golf game! I'd heard of both before, and worked on versions of them. But something about where I'm at plus the instructions for the throwing drill just clicked. I suddenly feel wildly more athletic and like the club face getting to square is in the middle of the range of outcomes from my swing rather than at the very extreme closed face end. As in, before I could go from square to open, but not closed in any repeatable way. I'm pumped :-D

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• 6 months later...

Just started day 1.. couldn't film it, but will look into this moving forward..

• Thumbs Up 1

cheers Chris

I restarted day 1 this morning and filmed it..

I noticed that I was not fully lined up to have a real side-on view, but I will adjust this for the next videos. 

I also sped it up a bit (saw this in another video and thought it was quite useful to save some time for those watching)

• Thumbs Up 1

cheers Chris

• iacas changed the title to 30-Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020
Note: This thread is 741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!