IGNORED

Driver Shaft questions

WEG
Note: This thread is 1466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello All,

Have some questions here on driver shafts.  I have a Ping G410 Plus 105 deg Driver with the stock Alta J CB Red D SR flex (Stiff Reg, not Senior) and the Ping label says the shaft is 45.75 inches yet, if I measure the shaft from the grip end all the way to the screw at the bottom of the driver, the length is 45".  I dont think the shaft was not tipped or cut, as I bought it new from a store and others I have seen are similar length.  So, how do they label it with a 45.75" shaft length when the longest it could be is 45"?   And how does one measure shaft length, when it is in the driver,  I assume from the butt end to the bottom of the driver where it is screwed to.  

I am thinking about replacing the shaft in the driver, but not sure what shaft length to get, nor what shaft to consider.  Generally the stock Alta shaft is ok, but sometimes when I jump on it too much, I end up with a high slice.  My mishits can go either way, pull left, pull hook left or slice.  Of course, it is probably my swing, but I am thinking maybe a bit lower torque or bit stiffer shaft, might tighten up the dispersion a bit and also work better for the times I jump on it,  but dont want anything feeling boardy.  My swing speed is in the mid-90's and can reach maybe around 100, if I try to jump on it.  My ball flight is maybe a mid or low/mid when I strike it well. I dont know my spin numbers.  The stock Alta CB J Red SR flex shaft is a mid/high launch, 57 Gr,  4.7 torgue.  I think the SR flex is more common in the Asia market and the J may denote the Japan market, and probably the SR flex is close to a R flex in the US market, but correct me if I am wrong.  

A friend had the same driver with a Fujikura Speeder Evolution iii 569 shaft (also in SR Stiff Reg flex), which I hit a few times and liked it, so I am looking at that shaft or maybe another shaft.   Maybe I should check my friend's driver to see what length it is and make sure it still works for me or if my swing was just on that day. Anyway wondering what other shafts might work and what length I should get.  Maybe a shorter shaft would help my consistency, but right now, looking to get something.     I see that Fujikura Speeder Evolution iii 569 shaft  SR flex is also 57 gr, but 3.8 torque, tip flex 107/butt flex 87  and they list it with a length of 47" on their website, so does that mean it is cut down and shortened in most cases?   Or maybe the Ventus Red or Blue 5 in a Reg flex?   I imagine it would be best to go to a club fitter to see the best shaft for me to use, then I can try different shafts, even shaft lengths and see spin and distance numbers to know which are the optimal shafts for my swing, but also just trying to get some ideas of other shafts to consider,  even I do ever go to a clubfitter. 

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for any helpful feedback. 

To measure the driver length, you need to stand it up at its proper lie angle and measure floor to butt. Drivers are around 60 degrees. I lay the club against a bench at the right lie angle (I have a protractor) and use a long measuring stick.

8D5682BF-1DCF-4F24-A267-4F8B947455D3.jpeg

As for shaft preference, the best way to do it is try a bunch on a launch monitor and see what works and feels best to you.

• Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

Thanks.  That does come out to around 45.75", but then the actual shaft length is shorter than the driver shaft length.  The actual driver length, when I measure from the screws at the bottom of the driver that connects to the shaft to the butt end,  is around 45".  So, when buying a shaft like the Fujikura that says it is 47" (Speeder iii 569) or 46" (Ventus), then do I need to cut the butt end to have the same length driver length that I have now?  And is this common to have to cut the shaft to make a standard length driver?  Thanks. 

Edited by WEG

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

To measure the driver length, you need to stand it up at its proper lie angle and measure floor to butt. Drivers are around 60 degrees. I lay the club against a bench at the right lie angle (I have a protractor) and use a long measuring stick.

8D5682BF-1DCF-4F24-A267-4F8B947455D3.jpeg

As for shaft preference, the best way to do it is try a bunch on a launch monitor and see what works and feels best to you.

Classic engineer....lol. Love it.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Every raw shaft you buy needs to be cut down to length. They all start long. Fujikura stock length is 47in. Almost all other brands are 46, but in any case you will need to cut it down. Different drivers have different bottom bore depths so each driver will require a little different cut to get the same final playing length.

Sounds like you have the measuring part down now.

As far as shaft recommendations, you will just need to go try a few and see what feels good and what gives good numbers for your swing. May want to try a couple different weights as that is going to make the biggest difference.

2 other points.

Don't think that a different shaft is going to help you when swinging harder. It's you, not the shaft that causes misses. When you swing harder, your timing and sequencing goes out of wack and that is why the ball goes where you don't want it to. The shaft only does what you make it do. It is possible that certain shaft specs may help you keep everything better timed when swinging harder but a bad swing can't be saved by a shaft, only mitigated.

Lastly, don't worry about torque numbers. This is the last shaft spec anyone should be looking at. I would pick shafts based on color scheme before I base a decision on torque measurements. Get the weight, balance point, profile and flex that works well for you, and whatever torque number goes with that particular shaft is good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Adam C said:

Lastly, don't worry about torque numbers. This is the last shaft spec anyone should be looking at. I would pick shafts based on color scheme before I base a decision on torque measurements. Get the weight, balance point, profile and flex that works well for you, and whatever torque number goes with that particular shaft is good. 

974E5E02-7EF7-42F1-9E71-45D5BB6008CA.thumb.gif.82f57ccc3779e4b9980006b2aff5517d.gif

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Classic engineer....lol. Love it.

That’s just how shaft length is measured 😃

I have a 5’ ruler I lay out on my dining room table and just use another ruler or straight edge against the sole of the club.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

That’s just how shaft length is measured 😃

I have a 5’ ruler I lay out on my dining room table and just use another ruler or straight edge against the sole of the club.

I think @Vinsk was referring to me having a protractor. 😏

Scott

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I think @Vinsk was referring to me having a protractor. 😏

Oh. Nerd 😜

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

Oh. Nerd 😜

tom hardy GIF

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!