IGNORED

High Top Golf Shoes?

Note: This thread is 1436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone wear, or did wear, high top golf shoes?  One of my ankles kills me after every round, and I am thinking I need some ankle support.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

Not specifically high top golf shoes but I tried wearing high top basketball shoes when I had ankle pain due to bone spurs from walking the course too much. I didn’t feel the high top gave much support unless I tied them really tight, but that restricted movements. I got more support from wearing ankle sleeves + custom footbeds + wide sole golf shoes to improve foot stability. My ankle pain disappeared with this combo.

Edited by FlyingAce
  • Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

Not specifically high top golf shoes but I tried wearing high top basketball shoes when I had ankle pain due to bone spurs from walking the course too much. I didn’t feel the high top gave much support unless I tied them really tight, but that restricted movements. I got more support from wearing ankle sleeves + custom footbeds + wide sole golf shoes to improve foot stability. My ankle pain disappeared with this combo.

My current shoes are Skechers Go Drive.  I have a pair of regular Skechers walking shoes that I hit 60 shots a day with and have no problems.  That is why I think it is the golf shoes.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

1 hour ago, cnl390 said:

Has anyone wear, or did wear, high top golf shoes?  One of my ankles kills me after every round, and I am thinking I need some ankle support.

Which ankle hurts? For me, the last thing I'd want from my golf shoes is to limit my ankle mobility.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

Which ankle hurts? For me, the last thing I'd want from my golf shoes is to limit my ankle mobility.

Right ankle. And I am right handed.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

5 minutes ago, cnl390 said:

Right ankle. And I am right handed.

Sketchers aren't exactly high top shoes and you don't have pain from hitting balls in them? Do you walk or ride?

If it's your golf shoes, I'm not sure if the problem is because you need high tops for ankle support, but I'm not really sure how you're hurting your right ankle in a right handed golf swing since the torque of the downswing is on the left side. What kind of shoes do you wear?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

Sketchers aren't exactly high top shoes and you don't have pain from hitting balls in them? Do you walk or ride?

If it's your golf shoes, I'm not sure if the problem is because you need high tops for ankle support, but I'm not really sure how you're hurting your right ankle in a right handed golf swing since the torque of the downswing is on the left side. What kind of shoes do you wear?

Golf shoes are also Skechers, Go Drive

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

I cannot find it now, but I read an article comparing high top basketball shoes vs Low top. Basically the results were high tops gave minimally better support, and if someone had ankle issues they were best served by using ankle braces.

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

8 minutes ago, cnl390 said:

Golf shoes are also Skechers, Go Drive

They look like the offer the same amount of ankle support as any other pair of Sketchers walking shoes. I don't think it's the shoes or the golf swing.

Maybe you can try a compression sleeve for ankle support before you buy a whole new pair of golf shoes?

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

7 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I cannot find it now, but I read an article comparing high top basketball shoes vs Low top. Basically the results were high tops gave minimally better support, and if someone had ankle issues they were best served by using ankle braces.

I found several articles similar to the one you're mentioning.  Now I am thinking I might need to look for some better fitting,  more comfortable shoes. 

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

• iacas changed the title to High Top Golf Shoes?
Note: This thread is 1436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!