IGNORED

Vokey SM8s Wedges - Horrible Tin Metal Sound

Note: This thread is 1447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I just recently received my 2 custom vokey wedges from wedgeworks and was so excited to play them (as I played several vokey wedges in the past and loved them).

My 2 SM8s are in the Brushed Steel Finish (just in case it makes a difference and I got the 60 in L (4 bounce) and 56 in M (8 bounce).

Situation: Both my wedges sound like a very cheap Tin Metal sound at impact (it's almost disgusting to my ears, given im used to the feel/sound of my Mizuno MP-20 Blades). This happens no matter if its a totally flushed shot or not, same cheap metal tin sound. I am coming from the Cleveland RTX4 and these feel great and sound great at impact, no problem there.

Things I have done/thought about:

1. I brought 2 friends to hear me hitting them to see if they could hear anything funky with them. Almost instantly they both agreed its a very weird sound, like a Tin metal sound at impact. They also think its very odd, especially for a Vokey.
  2. I also thought about the finish, since I only have these 2 in the brushed metal finish, I have no way to compare to the chrome or black finish to see if it makes any difference.
  3. I also thought it could be the grind/bounce but dismissed as my 2 wedges have 2 different grinds/bounce
  4. I also searched the whole internet and youtube reviews for anyone else complaining about SM8s sound and couldn't find anything on it

That being said, I would like to know if anyone here has tried the SM8 Wedges outside and have experienced the same Tin Metal sound at impact. Needless to say, im devastated with this much anticipated purchase, which I cant return now since they are custom stamped and all of that. Appreciate your input.

22 hours ago, HeribertoMaya said:

Hey guys, I just recently received my 2 custom vokey wedges from wedgeworks and was so excited to play them (as I played several vokey wedges in the past and loved them).

My 2 SM8s are in the Brushed Steel Finish (just in case it makes a difference and I got the 60 in L (4 bounce) and 56 in M (8 bounce).

Situation: Both my wedges sound like a very cheap Tin Metal sound at impact (it's almost disgusting to my ears, given im used to the feel/sound of my Mizuno MP-20 Blades). This happens no matter if its a totally flushed shot or not, same cheap metal tin sound. I am coming from the Cleveland RTX4 and these feel great and sound great at impact, no problem there.

Things I have done/thought about:

1. I brought 2 friends to hear me hitting them to see if they could hear anything funky with them. Almost instantly they both agreed its a very weird sound, like a Tin metal sound at impact. They also think its very odd, especially for a Vokey.
  2. I also thought about the finish, since I only have these 2 in the brushed metal finish, I have no way to compare to the chrome or black finish to see if it makes any difference.
  3. I also thought it could be the grind/bounce but dismissed as my 2 wedges have 2 different grinds/bounce
  4. I also searched the whole internet and youtube reviews for anyone else complaining about SM8s sound and couldn't find anything on it

That being said, I would like to know if anyone here has tried the SM8 Wedges outside and have experienced the same Tin Metal sound at impact. Needless to say, im devastated with this much anticipated purchase, which I cant return now since they are custom stamped and all of that. Appreciate your input.

Have you contacted Vokey? I would be stunned if the wedges sounded any different unless they were using a new type of steel.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

56 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Have you contacted Vokey? I would be stunned if the wedges sounded any different unless they were using a new type of steel.

I’d absolutely call them.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If you paid your hard earned money for a product and think it is faulty by all means contact the company. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I just got an SM8 sand wedge a few weeks ago and haven't had that problem, so that's definitely not how they're supposed to sound. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

thansk everyone,  yes my next step planned is to call them but wanted to first gather some honest data to then match with that they will tell me (we all know companies will lie in their responses, so I dont trust them, including golf brands).  This way I can better respond to their response, if that makes sense.

I would definitely tell them you are sending them back to them to be inspected and you expect the issue resolved. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Note: This thread is 1447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!