IGNORED

Wedge gapping

Note: This thread is 1417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm fairly new at this game(about 3 years) and I'm always conflicted on my bag setup for my wedges. I have a pitching wedge at 43 and a.gap wedge at 49. Is that too big a gap? They came with the set of TM Aeroburner irons. I also have a 52, 54, 56, 58, 60 from various sources ...some bought ...some given to me. If I keep the PW and GW  I only have room for 2 others. I use the 58 out of the sand and it's OK but really love it on short approach shots and green side rough so I really want it keep it in the bag.The 56  is about the same as the 58 out of the sand but I don't hit it nearly as well otherwise. I hit the 54 very well with good control and have at times used it as my pitching wedge. The 52 is currently sitting out but there are times when I would like the extra distance over the 54. The 60 is out of the bag but it is much better from the sand for high lips than my 58. BTW...the 58 is a Cleveland Smart Sole sand wedge so opening the face is not an option. Any thoughts from you more experienced guys would be greatly appreciated. I keep talking myself in and out of things (which explains so many wedges of such similar lofts).

22 minutes ago, Keysbear152 said:

I'm fairly new at this game(about 3 years) and I'm always conflicted on my bag setup for my wedges. I have a pitching wedge at 43 and a.gap wedge at 49. Is that too big a gap? They came with the set of TM Aeroburner irons. I also have a 52, 54, 56, 58, 60 from various sources ...some bought ...some given to me. If I keep the PW and GW  I only have room for 2 others. I use the 58 out of the sand and it's OK but really love it on short approach shots and green side rough so I really want it keep it in the bag.The 56  is about the same as the 58 out of the sand but I don't hit it nearly as well otherwise. I hit the 54 very well with good control and have at times used it as my pitching wedge. The 52 is currently sitting out but there are times when I would like the extra distance over the 54. The 60 is out of the bag but it is much better from the sand for high lips than my 58. BTW...the 58 is a Cleveland Smart Sole sand wedge so opening the face is not an option. Any thoughts from you more experienced guys would be greatly appreciated. I keep talking myself in and out of things (which explains so many wedges of such similar lofts).

Remember to consider your range of yardages for your wedges and not just the gap between maximum distances. From what you wrote your 43-49-54-58 would be your best bet. If you don’t want to use the Sure Out 58 then take your 60* and have it bent to 58* unless that bounce change works against you. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That is a lot of wedges. I think that you really need to know how YOU hit those clubs.  I for one, do not carry a lob wedge.  I am not good enough to strike it consistently and the misses can be catastrophic.  I hit partial swings for anything inside 100 whenever possible, and it is abundantly better.  It also gives me great gapping.  I recommend you figure this out for yourself.  An overly simplified plan for this might be:

52 degree GW hits 100-105
Partial 8-iron for 90 yards
Partial 9-iron for 80 yards
Partial PW for 70 yards
Partial 49 degree GW for 60 yards
Partial 52 degree GW for 50 yards
Partial SW for 40 yards

See here for more info:

Edited by Cantankerish
  • Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Distance is the determining factor not loft. Try to have 12 yards gap on full swings. The one I would not remove is the sure out it works. I am a reasonably good player and I keep a Callaway similar to yours in my bag for sand shots.

2 minutes ago, Groundhog34 said:

Distance is the determining factor not loft. Try to have 12 yards gap on full swings. 

True story.  I use 5 wedges:  45, 48, 54, 56, 60.  I have 12 to 14 yard gaps between each.  Yep, even between the the 54 and 56.  Go figure... they're both Vokeys.  Not bent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!