IGNORED

Hand pain

FlyingAce
Note: This thread is 1422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is my first time getting hand pain in the 4 years of playing golf and I am not sure if it is from overuse, injury or incorrect form. The pain is on the back of my left hand (right hand player) below my middle finger’s knuckle. No issues gripping clubs, slight discomfort at takeaway but severe sharp pain at impact. Pain goes away rather quickly until the next impact. I started noticing mild pain maybe two weeks ago but yesterday was the first time I had to drop my clubs after impact because of the pain. Mild trigger finger with the middle finger. My swing path mostly just sweep the grass without taking divots so I am not pounding into the ground much. 

Talked to a friend who is an orthopedic surgeon - he said bones are unlikely broken or fractured, but could be soft tissue injury. Since he is not a golfer, he has no idea how this could happen.

I know I should stop playing golf and let my hand rest/heal, which I am doing for the rest of the week. But just wondering if anyone had similar experiences to share.

I was only able to finish 9 holes yesterday but I played one of my best 9, scoring a 37!!! Woohoo!

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No pain like that. I have arthritis in several of my fingers, but thankfully they don't hurt. I had golfer's elbow last year and still battle a neuroma in my left foot. If I were a horse, I would be buried behind the shed right now.

35 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

I was only able to finish 9 holes yesterday but I played one of my best 9, scoring a 37!!! Woohoo!

Nice!

- Shane

1 hour ago, FlyingAce said:

This is my first time getting hand pain in the 4 years of playing golf and I am not sure if it is from overuse, injury or incorrect form. The pain is on the back of my left hand (right hand player) below my middle finger’s knuckle. No issues gripping clubs, slight discomfort at takeaway but severe sharp pain at impact. Pain goes away rather quickly until the next impact. I started noticing mild pain maybe two weeks ago but yesterday was the first time I had to drop my clubs after impact because of the pain. Mild trigger finger with the middle finger. My swing path mostly just sweep the grass without taking divots so I am not pounding into the ground much. 

Talked to a friend who is an orthopedic surgeon - he said bones are unlikely broken or fractured, but could be soft tissue injury. Since he is not a golfer, he has no idea how this could happen.

I know I should stop playing golf and let my hand rest/heal, which I am doing for the rest of the week. But just wondering if anyone had similar experiences to share.

I'm not a MD or profess to know much about medicine.   Have you tried ibuprofen before playing?    Ice after?  

Congrats on the great round!  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

(edited)

If I saw you in the office and xrays normal (no evidence of fx, AVN, or significant arthritic changes), I’d lean towards:

1. dorsal capsular sprain vs bony contusion from repetitive impact

705A0AFA-D03A-451E-8C4F-F61BFA07AC1C.jpeg.f491aceb7f3edbfb836f2583b8faf908.jpeg
2. synovitis of the joint

3. interosseous muscle strain

5BE788AC-E24C-4811-B80D-4063B1D0E06C.jpeg.5afa2c3f98eeac6263426c8afc484636.jpeg

4. Extensor tenosyivitis
5. extensor tendon strain/split tear

Obviously clinical exam is hugely helpful so take this with a grain of salt. honestly doesn’t matter what you call it, trxt still rest, NSAIDs, then MRI if no improvement in 2-3 weeks

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I got this problem from playing the corded grips that came with my iron set. Since I didn't have the problem with my old set it was an easy diagnosis. 

There's a product called Sting Stoppers. They insert into the shaft of your clubs. They actually work. Also you might try Golf Pride CP2 Pro Grips. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

2 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

So just a thought, have you been hitting off of mats only for some period of time?  My left hand, specifically my ring finger below the knuckle gets sore. I put Blue Emu on before I play and it’s fine.  We’ve been on mats all year and that possibly could cause some pain. Or perhaps an early symptom of arthritis? I’m 65 so that could be a possibility.

Note: This thread is 1422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!