IGNORED

Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Note: This thread is 3231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd distinguish between "clone" and "knock-off" clubs. I know the terms are sometimes used interchangeably but to me "knock-off" is counterfeit, attempting to deceive and illegal while "clone" is a copy. I think I see the original poster's point about there being something sad about seeing a person trying to impress without having the real goods. I have painful adolescent memories of my mother forcing me to wear supermarket brand blue jeans when all the cool kids had Levi 501s ... but I digress.
Cloning happens in most industries - look at the PC market - everyone cloned IBM and the SUV market; it's hard to tell your BMW from your Mazda and so on.
I believe there are some really high quality clone clubs that allow out there as well loads of really poor ones.
And when it comes to embarrassment on the golf course, I'd say there's not much that beats the hyper-equiped golfer that moves the turf further than the ball.

I realize that I am late on the bandwagon for this thread, but as someone who has a set of eye 2 clones in his bag for over 16 years, I had to read throught the 13 pages of foolishness of this thread. Yeah, maybe the 180 bucks that I spent on these clones back in 1992 when I was still in college was taking $$ out of PING's pockets - I'm not sure. But I haven't been able to pull the trigger on spending 700+ on new irons. Maybe soon. The fact that I carry these has no bearing on my golf IQ, as I would be willing to wager the 700 with you on anything golf related... but gambling is illegal(apparently much like the golf cart I push up and down the hills of the local courses here). As far as not knowing any single digit handicaps that play clones.. put me on your list. Last summer I shot 74,78,76 one weekend with my crappy clones. (I was cheating though - I was riding in a cart - in a tournament)

in my grom stand bag:

Driver: HiBore 9.5* fujikura stiff
3w: HiBore 15* fujikura stiff
2i hybrid: HiBore fujikura stiff3-sw: MP-57 +1/2 2* up stiff steelPutter: 2ball SRT 36"GPS: SG3 Sky caddieCart:Clicgear 2.0Home Course: Lake Spanaway http://www.lakespanawaygc.com

I have been using a pull cart since I was 25 which was 34 yrs ago. When I was younger I thought nothing of playing golf in 95+ humid weather and a pull cart made it easier. Plus why should I get tired for no reason. THIS IS NOT THE PGA TOUR!!!!!!!!!! So please come down to earth.

I still sometimes play with a set of Brownings that my dad gave me... He had them in college... They're probably 30+ years old... I think they're the tops...
I will say i play better with my Cleveland irons..
I dont know if browning clubs qualify but i thought i could be part of the group.

Well, I know as well I'm a little bit late for this thread, but such thread is worth commenting in.

When I was a kid I used to play with eye 2 clones because I couldn’t afford originals. There was this friend of mine I played with (It was funny since we have the same first name and we were born the same calendar day, just with a year difference) who had some clones as well, and was quite a good golfer, and who’s opinion I would really consider regarding anything in the game of golf. This guy actually started playing in the PGA tour some years after and is now a days known as “Spider Man”.

Yes mate, Camilo Villegas played with clones. Its unfortunate you can’t respect someone like him. He might be able to teach you a couple of things…

Cheers,

Camilo

Oh, by the way, if you know so much about music you’ll know there are no more than 500 Stradivarius in the world, which some cost over US$2 million. Not many violinists can play with one piece like that, and SOME great violinist of our time haven’t even seen one, since they belong to private collections. Yes, and I still respect them…

• 4 months later...
I have a set of Trend players edition oversize, who are they trying to be a clone of the have graphite shafts as well.

OK so you have a bug up your a$$ about clone golf clubs. First of all, what a prick that makes you. I am betting you wrote that right after someone WITH clone clubs handed you your ass on the course lol.
Anyway, then you said we should all go to e-bay and buy used name brand clubs. OK genius, I need a set of irons that are +1/2" with a +2 lie and midsized grips...and I want light graphite shafts with spine matching. Find those on e-bay. I will wait...
Look, I started playing this addictive, obsessive and maddening game last year. I started with a cheap set of clubs from Sports Authority and after I decided I would stick with it I had a nice set of irons custom made for me from an online clone golf company. I got a 30 day return policy and free shipping. They feel great and I am hitting par on almost every hole on the little par 3 9 hole course I play with my friends once a week.
I am no where good enough as a player to need $1000 worth of ping clubs. I am happy with what I have for what I need. You need to get over yourself.
Oh and for pull carts? Seriously - who cares. I don't use one but never imagined having a problem with anyone that does. As for iron covers...I don't use them, but again who cares if someone does. Why use a driver cover? Do you have a problem with people that use yellow balls? Do you hate people that use GPS to measure range?
Get a life - you are the people that I HATE on the course, fortunately you are in the minority.

OK so you have a bug up your a$$ about clone golf clubs. First of all, what a prick that makes you. I am betting you wrote that right after someone WITH clone clubs handed you your ass on the course lol.

wow. nice 1st post. I'm sure many people will take ur opinion to heart....

I have seen a few people with "Clone" clubs on their "Whats in your bag" signature. This makes me very upset. I am a rational person so I understand the cost is the reason people buy these, but come on. Ebay makes it so easy to get used clubs for the same price as these clones. I have not had even an off brand club in my bag since I was 16, and I am far from rich. If you are a beginner to the game, you do not need to go drop $1000 on a new set. Go get a set from a few years ago used. If you are going through the trouble of posting on a golf forum while stating you have a clone in your bag, you immediately (however irrational this is) lose my respect. Its like pull carts and iron covers, you just don't do it.

Sounds like you are all about name brand and image. That's fine and all but I give much more respect to someone with no-name clubs that can actually play as opposed to posers who have a bag full of expensive clubs but no game. Just my opinion of course!

I don't care what's in your bag as long as you respect the game, the course, your playing partners, and those on the course at the same time as you.

If someone can't swing properly, it doesn't matter if they are swinging name brand clubs or knock-offs.

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

I've done the math on several occasions. New clones irons cost as much or more than slightly used brand name clubs. I'm not buying them. You can and I won't make fun at all.

This thread was dead and someone revived it after 5 months... but now re-reading through some of it... Pull Carts... Cant remember if it was the "British" Open or not but one of the players caddy didnt show up so he tended his own bag... guess what he was strolling around with on the course... yep... a pull cart.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Knockoff, counterfeit clubs are one thing, but I don't really see the issue with clones. Play what you can afford to play.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

• 8 months later...
Seriously who cares what people play with. Its just a game, people are there to have fun.

For many players golf is a second hobby. For examply the majority of my money goes towards cars, and being in college its not like I have alot of disposable income anyways, so havign two expensive hobbies is hard.

Ill probably be stuck to mostly used clubs or off brand clubs for the most part with the ccasional splurge for a name brand club I really like. (Big Bertha Diablo possibly haha).

I dont see how judging someone because of their clubs is any different than judging somebody based on the amount of money they have.I would love some Callaways BB but sorry I cant afford it cause my car got smashed by some ******* in the parking lot and its in bodywork hell (plus its first priority).

As far as Im concerned Im glad that everyone can play golf. I dont even care if your playing wallyworld clubs. Cause the more people that play the more viable a bussiness gofl becomes. Which helps support many club makers. Leading to competition which leads to price competition, technology advances, etc etc etc.
Plus more players, completely independent of what they play with or how they play, creates demand, which makes new courses and keepsold ones open.

Just be happy people are out their playing, as long as they are courteous and not acting like animals wwho cares whats in their bag or how they move their clubs.

The thing I cant stand on a golf course is slow players. Who would you rather play behind, someone who

Has a pull cart
Iron covers
and cheap as clone clubs
plays at a normal speed

Or someone who
is a purist so he carries his bag
and has expensive ass clubs
but plays slow as hell.

I have seen a few people with "Clone" clubs on their "Whats in your bag" signature. This makes me very upset. I am a rational person so I understand the cost is the reason people buy these, but come on. Ebay makes it so easy to get used clubs for the same price as these clones. I have not had even an off brand club in my bag since I was 16, and I am far from rich. If you are a beginner to the game, you do not need to go drop $1000 on a new set. Go get a set from a few years ago used. If you are going through the trouble of posting on a golf forum while stating you have a clone in your bag, you immediately (however irrational this is) lose my respect. Its like pull carts and iron covers, you just don't do it.

I got an idea!! Who cares what you think? Why do you care what anyone else is doing and playing? By the looks of it you need to pay more attention to your game than worry about people carrying their clones with iron covers with their pull cart. You are the prime reason that golfers get a bad rap for having a snooty, nose in the air attitude.

And concerning the clones...I would bet if you took a one of the better sets of "clones" from say "Snake Eyes, Diamond Tour, Golfsmith..etc" vs a brand name set, the average player wouldn't be able to tell the differences if all the variables of the club heads, shafts, grips, weight, length..etc, were the same. Although I am guilty of it, but when you buy a brand name set, you are paying mostly for all the R&D;, advertisement, endorsements, and the name itself. I would never look down on a player for playing anything; used, new, clones or whatever. As long he is out there enjoying our beloved past time.

my overall opinion of yours mr. riddick is a quote said by my grandfather:

"a guy with a great set of irons can still suck and never shut up while a guy who's got 15 year hand-me down knockoff old clubs can shoot in the 70's and not say a word...which would you rather be?"

(btw, i play with Ping ISI-k's from 1996)

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

This reminds me of a quote that says:

"We spend money we don't have, to impress people we don't like".

When I was in college I played knockoffs, cause I got a set for $125.When I was in college I also shopped at JC Penney's a lot too.

I have found, over time, that in the long run, it pays to spend a little more money on the front end, because if you buy a quality product, it will last much longer (and won't shrink as fast).

Play what works for you in budget and confidence.

My Bag

Grom
r7 Limited 10.5
Hybrid 3 Baffler BB 2004 Irons 4-PW, GW, SW Vokey 60 wedge White HotProV1x

Note: This thread is 3231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!