Jump to content
IGNORED

My Swing (ShaftFarmer)


ShaftFarmer

Recommended Posts

I've been Playing Golf for: ~17 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 14 handicap
My typical ball flight is: Slight fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pull hooks with the driver and hitting my irons fat


Videos: 

 

Sorry, I only have DTL videos at the moment but heres a video with a driver. Hopefully the camera isn't too close

 

Edited by ShaftFarmer

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What I am currently working on is:

1. Shallowing club on downswing and focusing on letting my hands catch up to my body/shoulders (from what I've read this is done by the weight shift so really working on transferring my weight to my left side at the start of my downswing)

2. Bigger shoulder turn on backswing. Also making it a bit more steep

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try to get the next videos in slowmo if you can.

Right off the bat I see the clubhead WAY outside of the hands at P2 (shaft parallel in the backswing). Ideally you’d want the clubhead to bisect the hands at this position.

You do much better at that in the driver video.

Edited by Grizvok
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
57 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

Try to get the next videos in slowmo if you can.

Right off the bat I see the clubhead WAY outside of the hands at P2 (shaft parallel in the backswing). Ideally you’d want the clubhead to bisect the hands at this position.

You do much better at that in the driver video.

Yeah next time I get out I plan on getting some slow mo videos. Was meaning too before, but forgot once I got to the range. 

And when you say "Right off the bat I see the clubhead WAY outside the hands at P2", did you mean inside the hands? From what I can see the club head looks to be inside if anything, excluding my driver swing

Appreciate the reply!

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 6.12.31 PM.png

Edited by ShaftFarmer
  • Like 1

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Yeah next time I get out I plan on getting some slow mo videos. Was meaning too before, but forgot once I got to the range. 

And when you say "Right off the bat I see the clubhead WAY outside the hands at P2", did you mean inside the hands? From what I can see the club head looks to be inside if anything, excluding my driver swing

Appreciate the reply!

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 6.12.31 PM.png

My apologies. Inside is precisely what I meant!

Edited by Grizvok
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last night I tested some new irons on a simulator. I noticed a crack in my 5 iron shaft the other day and my irons are at least 10 years old so figured now wouldn't be a bad time to upgrade. Unfortunately they were all out of the Mizuno JPX 919 Forged but was able to take some swings with the Srixon z785 irons.

I made sure to remember some of my stats on the simulator. 

These were my averages with a 7 iron:

- 193 yards of carry (is this so high because my spin rate is lower?)

- 21 degree launch

- 3800-4100 RPM (this is pretty low for a 7 iron, correct?)

- 118-125 MPH ball speed

- 81-84 MPH swing speed

 

I have heard the Srixon's aren't a very high spinning iron so I would imagine I would be better off with a higher spinning iron.

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I feel like I could live at the range! Was able to get out last night for a little bit to get some slow-mo and facing videos of my swing.

I noticed when I was hitting my driver my swing just didn't feel very good. It felt almost like I was all shoulders on the downswing and had a sort of robotic feeling. Didn't like the feeling at all, even on drives that were straight. As far as irons went, I had one terrible shank that I got video and I was also hitting a lot of them fat which has been a problem lately. Really need to start working on hitting more behind the ball

 

I pulled this shot a bit as you can see

 

This was one of the worst shanks I've had in awhile. Figured this would be a good one to post to see if ya'll see anything?

 

  • Thumbs Up 1

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

57 minutes ago, ShaftFarmer said:

I feel like I could live at the range! Was able to get out last night for a little bit to get some slow-mo and facing videos of my swing.

I noticed when I was hitting my driver my swing just didn't feel very good. It felt almost like I was all shoulders on the downswing and had a sort of robotic feeling. Didn't like the feeling at all, even on drives that were straight. As far as irons went, I had one terrible shank that I got video and I was also hitting a lot of them fat which has been a problem lately. Really need to start working on hitting more behind the ball.

Wait wait wait. If you are hitting fat shots, then hitting behind the ball is exactly what you are doing too much of. Low point needs to move forward. You need to be hitting much more IN FRONT OF the ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Grizvok said:

Wait wait wait. If you are hitting fat shots, then hitting behind the ball is exactly what you are doing too much of. Low point needs to move forward. You need to be hitting much more IN FRONT OF the ball.

Now it's my turn for the mistake haha. Yes, I meant to say IN FRONT OF the ball as opposed to behind the ball. Thanks for pointing that out!

  • Like 1

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Now it's my turn for the mistake haha. Yes, I meant to say IN FRONT OF the ball as opposed to behind the ball. Thanks for pointing that out!

Gotcha.

The other thing I would take a gander at is ball position. I'm not sure if the angles are slightly off, but that looks pretty far forward in your stance for a 7i. Compare it to your driver ball position, and you'll notice pretty minimal difference between two very very different clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

Gotcha.

The other thing I would take a gander at is ball position. I'm not sure if the angles are slightly off, but that looks pretty far forward in your stance for a 7i. Compare it to your driver ball position, and you'll notice pretty minimal difference between two very very different clubs.

Yeah I think it is just that the angle was a bit off because I thought it looked a little forward as well. But that's definitely something I need to keep in mind. I probably should try moving it back a few inches either way.

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Got a round in yesterday with my dad for his Father's Day present. Overall I played pretty well considering how hot and humid it was and shot an 83 (par 72), however my putting was pretty terrible.

As far as irons go I did hit a couple fat but other than that I was pretty happy. Still not hitting down on the ball as much as I want to. I think I need to work on my weight shift and possibly slow down my transition. Does it seem a little quick for anyone else?

For putting, I have always switched between a conventional grip and a left hand low grip. Recently I have been going with left had low and the conventional grip for lag putts as I get a better feel for distance with conventional. I noticed a lot of putts around 10-20 feet I was leaving well short so I may try going back to conventional grip full time to see if that fixes some of my distance issues. How much importance do you think eye-dominance is when putting? I am left eye-dominant so I started moving the ball up in my stance a bit, which could be causing me to miss the sweet spot of the putter. I will also have to keep that in mind and make sure my hands are far enough forward at address. 

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just pulled the trigger on some used JPX 900 Forged irons! I currently have Mizuno MX-100s, which I've had for over 10 years so figured it was time for an update. I got those for cheaper than I was expecting so I went ahead and bought a 54/58 degree SM7 Vokey wedge. Excited to put these in the bag in the next few days as both of my current wedges are 10+ years old. 

 

Tonight, I'm hoping to get out on the range and work on few things:

1. (Flow) Looking to move upper body a few inches back on backswing and before the downswing shifting weight onto left side. I'm hoping to 

2. Slower transition to help with my "flow"

3. Hands slightly forward at address

 

Will get a few videos up from the range session tonight!

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You have a nice swing IMO and much better that what I would expect from a 14. The 83 you shot seems like it should be more typical. My guess is you need to get out and play some more!🙂

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

You have a nice swing IMO and much better that what I would expect from a 14. The 83 you shot seems like it should be more typical. My guess is you need to get out and play some more!🙂

Thank you, I appreciate it! Yeah I think my handicap is probably a bit lower than 14, but because I wasn't able to get out much last year I didn't want to over estimate my handicap. So far this year I would say I am closer to a 10. My scoring goal for this year to play a full round in the 70s

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was able to get out on the range last night. It was just a bit warm haha.

I was mainly working my swing "flow" and really getting a nice weight transfer to hit DOWN on the ball. I'm hoping this will help my chunks I've been having lately. 

I noticed when trying to incorporate more flow, my iron flights had much more of a draw flight which did feel good, however it would usually go well left of the target. Also, I was noticing when I would finish my swing.

I could tell my balance was off when doing this. On the follow through it felt like I was actively trying not to fall forward. I'm thinking this is due to my upper body also shifting towards target at beginning on downswing. Should I be feeling this?

 

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I noticed a potential issue with hips around impact or shortly after today. If you check out the shortened clip below from a few days ago you can see right after impact my hips almost look as if they stop clearing for a second. It just doesn't look very smooth in my opinion. I would imagine a good drill for that would be Day 05 - Delivering the Clubhead by @iacas

I also want to get rid of the rotation in my right wrist around impact/follow-through.

In other news my new irons got delivered yesterday! They're (Mizuno JPX 900 Forged) a lot smaller than my old irons (Mizuno MX-100) but just hitting a few last night at the range they feel sooooo much better. Excited to get them out on the course soon!

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
2 hours ago, ShaftFarmer said:

So I noticed a potential issue with hips around impact or shortly after today. If you check out the shortened clip below from a few days ago you can see right after impact my hips almost look as if they stop clearing for a second. It just doesn't look very smooth in my opinion. I would imagine a good drill for that would be Day 05 - Delivering the Clubhead by @iacas

That's a decent drill for you, yes. Look at your left knee through impact and early follow-through. It never really extends.

2 hours ago, ShaftFarmer said:

I also want to get rid of the rotation in my right wrist around impact/follow-through.

Those are related. If the hips stall the clubhead overtakes. You are doing more than that, though, too, but that's a part of it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Partners

    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

    Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
  • Posts

    • Day 322: lighter day with some mirror work. Working on the downswing feels to get the hips more open. 
    • A flushed towering 152 yard 8-iron that never left the pin to a foot and a half on the 17th hole after a solid drive. The ensuing birdie putt completed our two man team match claw back to even after being four down through 10.  Tied 18th and the match but felt like a win.
    • A gross 6 under for a scramble is not that good. I would buy it. Our gross winning score is usually 17-18 under. First time I've heard of a handicapped scramble.
    • Absolutely. If my skills were reversed and I was a better putter than driver of the ball, I would have made that 8-footer. For double bogey  Mine is completely blind because it goes downhill starting basically right at the corner of the dogleg with the fairway sloping left to right. I know the line to take from experience, but just to give you an idea how it sets up, I hit directly over the two trees that the white line on my screenshot passes over, with a draw. I'm pretty sure my ball landed on the left side of the fairway. The safe way is to just hit it 220 to the corner and leave yourself just under 150 into a pretty large green, but there's very little reason not to be aggressive on this hole.
    • Day 24: putting practice at home 
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...