IGNORED

My Swing (ShaftFarmer)

ShaftFarmer

I've been Playing Golf for: ~17 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 14 handicap
My typical ball flight is: Slight fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pull hooks with the driver and hitting my irons fat

Videos: 

Sorry, I only have DTL videos at the moment but heres a video with a driver. Hopefully the camera isn't too close

Edited by ShaftFarmer

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What I am currently working on is:

1. Shallowing club on downswing and focusing on letting my hands catch up to my body/shoulders (from what I've read this is done by the weight shift so really working on transferring my weight to my left side at the start of my downswing)

2. Bigger shoulder turn on backswing. Also making it a bit more steep

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

Try to get the next videos in slowmo if you can.

Right off the bat I see the clubhead WAY outside of the hands at P2 (shaft parallel in the backswing). Ideally you’d want the clubhead to bisect the hands at this position.

You do much better at that in the driver video.

Edited by Grizvok
  • Thumbs Up 1

(edited)
57 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

Try to get the next videos in slowmo if you can.

Right off the bat I see the clubhead WAY outside of the hands at P2 (shaft parallel in the backswing). Ideally you’d want the clubhead to bisect the hands at this position.

You do much better at that in the driver video.

Yeah next time I get out I plan on getting some slow mo videos. Was meaning too before, but forgot once I got to the range. 

And when you say "Right off the bat I see the clubhead WAY outside the hands at P2", did you mean inside the hands? From what I can see the club head looks to be inside if anything, excluding my driver swing

Appreciate the reply!

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 6.12.31 PM.png

Edited by ShaftFarmer
  • Like 1

My Swing

1 hour ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Yeah next time I get out I plan on getting some slow mo videos. Was meaning too before, but forgot once I got to the range. 

And when you say "Right off the bat I see the clubhead WAY outside the hands at P2", did you mean inside the hands? From what I can see the club head looks to be inside if anything, excluding my driver swing

Appreciate the reply!

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 6.12.31 PM.png

My apologies. Inside is precisely what I meant!

Edited by Grizvok
  • Thumbs Up 1

Last night I tested some new irons on a simulator. I noticed a crack in my 5 iron shaft the other day and my irons are at least 10 years old so figured now wouldn't be a bad time to upgrade. Unfortunately they were all out of the Mizuno JPX 919 Forged but was able to take some swings with the Srixon z785 irons.

I made sure to remember some of my stats on the simulator. 

These were my averages with a 7 iron:

- 193 yards of carry (is this so high because my spin rate is lower?)

- 21 degree launch

- 3800-4100 RPM (this is pretty low for a 7 iron, correct?)

- 118-125 MPH ball speed

- 81-84 MPH swing speed

I have heard the Srixon's aren't a very high spinning iron so I would imagine I would be better off with a higher spinning iron.

My Swing

I feel like I could live at the range! Was able to get out last night for a little bit to get some slow-mo and facing videos of my swing.

I noticed when I was hitting my driver my swing just didn't feel very good. It felt almost like I was all shoulders on the downswing and had a sort of robotic feeling. Didn't like the feeling at all, even on drives that were straight. As far as irons went, I had one terrible shank that I got video and I was also hitting a lot of them fat which has been a problem lately. Really need to start working on hitting more behind the ball

I pulled this shot a bit as you can see

This was one of the worst shanks I've had in awhile. Figured this would be a good one to post to see if ya'll see anything?

• Thumbs Up 1

My Swing

57 minutes ago, ShaftFarmer said:

I feel like I could live at the range! Was able to get out last night for a little bit to get some slow-mo and facing videos of my swing.

I noticed when I was hitting my driver my swing just didn't feel very good. It felt almost like I was all shoulders on the downswing and had a sort of robotic feeling. Didn't like the feeling at all, even on drives that were straight. As far as irons went, I had one terrible shank that I got video and I was also hitting a lot of them fat which has been a problem lately. Really need to start working on hitting more behind the ball.

Wait wait wait. If you are hitting fat shots, then hitting behind the ball is exactly what you are doing too much of. Low point needs to move forward. You need to be hitting much more IN FRONT OF the ball.

1 hour ago, Grizvok said:

Wait wait wait. If you are hitting fat shots, then hitting behind the ball is exactly what you are doing too much of. Low point needs to move forward. You need to be hitting much more IN FRONT OF the ball.

Now it's my turn for the mistake haha. Yes, I meant to say IN FRONT OF the ball as opposed to behind the ball. Thanks for pointing that out!

• Like 1

My Swing

16 minutes ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Now it's my turn for the mistake haha. Yes, I meant to say IN FRONT OF the ball as opposed to behind the ball. Thanks for pointing that out!

Gotcha.

The other thing I would take a gander at is ball position. I'm not sure if the angles are slightly off, but that looks pretty far forward in your stance for a 7i. Compare it to your driver ball position, and you'll notice pretty minimal difference between two very very different clubs.

36 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

Gotcha.

The other thing I would take a gander at is ball position. I'm not sure if the angles are slightly off, but that looks pretty far forward in your stance for a 7i. Compare it to your driver ball position, and you'll notice pretty minimal difference between two very very different clubs.

Yeah I think it is just that the angle was a bit off because I thought it looked a little forward as well. But that's definitely something I need to keep in mind. I probably should try moving it back a few inches either way.

My Swing

Got a round in yesterday with my dad for his Father's Day present. Overall I played pretty well considering how hot and humid it was and shot an 83 (par 72), however my putting was pretty terrible.

As far as irons go I did hit a couple fat but other than that I was pretty happy. Still not hitting down on the ball as much as I want to. I think I need to work on my weight shift and possibly slow down my transition. Does it seem a little quick for anyone else?

For putting, I have always switched between a conventional grip and a left hand low grip. Recently I have been going with left had low and the conventional grip for lag putts as I get a better feel for distance with conventional. I noticed a lot of putts around 10-20 feet I was leaving well short so I may try going back to conventional grip full time to see if that fixes some of my distance issues. How much importance do you think eye-dominance is when putting? I am left eye-dominant so I started moving the ball up in my stance a bit, which could be causing me to miss the sweet spot of the putter. I will also have to keep that in mind and make sure my hands are far enough forward at address. 

My Swing

Just pulled the trigger on some used JPX 900 Forged irons! I currently have Mizuno MX-100s, which I've had for over 10 years so figured it was time for an update. I got those for cheaper than I was expecting so I went ahead and bought a 54/58 degree SM7 Vokey wedge. Excited to put these in the bag in the next few days as both of my current wedges are 10+ years old. 

Tonight, I'm hoping to get out on the range and work on few things:

1. (Flow) Looking to move upper body a few inches back on backswing and before the downswing shifting weight onto left side. I'm hoping to 

2. Slower transition to help with my "flow"

3. Hands slightly forward at address

Will get a few videos up from the range session tonight!

My Swing

You have a nice swing IMO and much better that what I would expect from a 14. The 83 you shot seems like it should be more typical. My guess is you need to get out and play some more!🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

You have a nice swing IMO and much better that what I would expect from a 14. The 83 you shot seems like it should be more typical. My guess is you need to get out and play some more!🙂

Thank you, I appreciate it! Yeah I think my handicap is probably a bit lower than 14, but because I wasn't able to get out much last year I didn't want to over estimate my handicap. So far this year I would say I am closer to a 10. My scoring goal for this year to play a full round in the 70s

My Swing

I was able to get out on the range last night. It was just a bit warm haha.

I was mainly working my swing "flow" and really getting a nice weight transfer to hit DOWN on the ball. I'm hoping this will help my chunks I've been having lately. 

I noticed when trying to incorporate more flow, my iron flights had much more of a draw flight which did feel good, however it would usually go well left of the target. Also, I was noticing when I would finish my swing.

I could tell my balance was off when doing this. On the follow through it felt like I was actively trying not to fall forward. I'm thinking this is due to my upper body also shifting towards target at beginning on downswing. Should I be feeling this?

My Swing

So I noticed a potential issue with hips around impact or shortly after today. If you check out the shortened clip below from a few days ago you can see right after impact my hips almost look as if they stop clearing for a second. It just doesn't look very smooth in my opinion. I would imagine a good drill for that would be Day 05 - Delivering the Clubhead by @iacas

I also want to get rid of the rotation in my right wrist around impact/follow-through.

In other news my new irons got delivered yesterday! They're (Mizuno JPX 900 Forged) a lot smaller than my old irons (Mizuno MX-100) but just hitting a few last night at the range they feel sooooo much better. Excited to get them out on the course soon!

My Swing

• Administrator
2 hours ago, ShaftFarmer said:

So I noticed a potential issue with hips around impact or shortly after today. If you check out the shortened clip below from a few days ago you can see right after impact my hips almost look as if they stop clearing for a second. It just doesn't look very smooth in my opinion. I would imagine a good drill for that would be Day 05 - Delivering the Clubhead by @iacas

That's a decent drill for you, yes. Look at your left knee through impact and early follow-through. It never really extends.

2 hours ago, ShaftFarmer said:

I also want to get rid of the rotation in my right wrist around impact/follow-through.

Those are related. If the hips stall the clubhead overtakes. You are doing more than that, though, too, but that's a part of it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets