IGNORED

My Swing (louisfr)

louisfr
Note: This thread is 1332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: A half year
My current handicap index or average score is: Not enough holes to have one, but very amateur.
My typical ball flight is: xxxx
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: my inconsistency on my shots. also to stop using 4-5 iron and be able to use the driver on the course

As I am fairly new to golf, I am not sure how much these videos will tell you, but this is how my swing is (most of the time). It would be very helpful to get a starting point for what to begin practicing with.

I am having problem with my driver as I almost always go very much left/very much right when I tee up. Almost every time it ends with me playing the 5-iron instead. 

Also as I wrote before is my biggest problem the inconsistency, my wedges near green is OK consistency-wise, it is the more longer shots I am having trouble with.

I would love if you had some input.

Have some videos here for you;

EDIT: Not sure what's wrong with my embedding, sorry about that.

Thank you,

Edited by billchao
Embedded videos

26 minutes ago, louisfr said:

Not sure what's wrong with my embedding, sorry about that.

I embedded your videos for you. You have to click the pop up at the bottom of the editor that comes up when you paste the link to paste as plain text.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

I embedded your videos for you. You have to click the pop up at the bottom of the editor that comes up when you paste the link to paste as plain text.

Very appreciated Bill, thank you!

The first recommendation I have is to try shortening your backswing. I try to feel like I am keeping the arms more straight on the backswing. You can see in the pic at the top of your backswing that your left arm is bent at an angle more than 90 degrees. You want it to be slightly less than 90 degrees at that point. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 8.36.37 AM.png

Check out this video!

Edited by ShaftFarmer
Picture in wrong spot
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

20 hours ago, ShaftFarmer said:

The first recommendation I have is to try shortening your backswing. I try to feel like I am keeping the arms more straight on the backswing. You can see in the pic at the top of your backswing that your left arm is bent at an angle more than 90 degrees. You want it to be slightly less than 90 degrees at that point. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 8.36.37 AM.png

Check out this video!

Thank you! Exactly the type of feedback I need. Will watch the video and try to fix the angle. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have been trying to fix the elbow... Is it still "opening" too much?

Any thoughts on these swings (which at least FEELS much better than before to be honest)

It does look better! To me it looks like your backswing is still a bit too long though. If your issue is consistency, I would think somewhere around here (maybe slightly further with a driver) is where you should be ending you backswing. Once you become more consistent you can start lengthening it slightly.

464841469_ScreenShot2020-07-13at12_01_13PM.thumb.png.f407f53c58976e646bc48de6fe2b3a20.png

For me, the shorter my backswing is, the more consistent my shots are. I think shortening the backswing will also help with your left elbow not becoming so flared.

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

(edited)
3 hours ago, ShaftFarmer said:

It does look better! To me it looks like your backswing is still a bit too long though. If your issue is consistency, I would think somewhere around here (maybe slightly further with a driver) is where you should be ending you backswing. Once you become more consistent you can start lengthening it slightly.

464841469_ScreenShot2020-07-13at12_01_13PM.thumb.png.f407f53c58976e646bc48de6fe2b3a20.png

For me, the shorter my backswing is, the more consistent my shots are. I think shortening the backswing will also help with your left elbow not becoming so flared.

Thank you! I see what you mean. I always want to put the club so I can kind of see/feel the clubface in my hindsight, is this a wrong/bad habit? Or should the club be in this position but I just shorten the swing? 

A7E51B19-7F4A-4830-9879-237ADCE82B64.png

Edited by louisfr

40 minutes ago, louisfr said:

Thank you! I see what you mean. I always want to put the club so I can kind of see/feel the clubface in my hindsight, is this a wrong/bad habit? Or should the club be in this position but I just shorten the swing? 

A7E51B19-7F4A-4830-9879-237ADCE82B64.png

So at the position above, you try to see the club face? If so, I would say that is definitely something you DO NOT want to do and it's just adding to your inconsistency issues. It may feel weird at first probably but you should get used to it soon 

If you look at the position of your hands at the top of your swing, they are very close to your head. You want your hands to be as far away from your head/body as you can (to an extent). I don't have a perfect swing by any means, but see how my hands are much further away from my head and how my lead arm (left) doesn't have any bend to it causing a 90 degree angle with the shaft? Whereas the angle of your lead arm and the shaft looks to be around 40-50 degrees. 

Does make any sense? haha

35639051_ScreenShot2020-07-13at4_53_08PM.thumb.png.7d056ac5ca1137398e4776e970d02c9d.png

My Swing

7 hours ago, ShaftFarmer said:

So at the position above, you try to see the club face? If so, I would say that is definitely something you DO NOT want to do and it's just adding to your inconsistency issues. It may feel weird at first probably but you should get used to it soon 

If you look at the position of your hands at the top of your swing, they are very close to your head. You want your hands to be as far away from your head/body as you can (to an extent). I don't have a perfect swing by any means, but see how my hands are much further away from my head and how my lead arm (left) doesn't have any bend to it causing a 90 degree angle with the shaft? Whereas the angle of your lead arm and the shaft looks to be around 40-50 degrees. 

Does make any sense? haha

35639051_ScreenShot2020-07-13at4_53_08PM.thumb.png.7d056ac5ca1137398e4776e970d02c9d.png

Thanks, I see! If this is your backswing extreme and the spot where you go “forward” I am clearly going too far back with my swing. Will try to shorten it.

Also feels like I have some problems with how my wrists should be bent, I feel like I might shorten the backswing but still bend the wrists so it causes problems. Yours look nothing like mine it seems like hehe

6 hours ago, louisfr said:

Thanks, I see! If this is your backswing extreme and the spot where you go “forward” I am clearly going too far back with my swing. Will try to shorten it.

Also feels like I have some problems with how my wrists should be bent, I feel like I might shorten the backswing but still bend the wrists so it causes problems. Yours look nothing like mine it seems like hehe

Hahaha I've also been playing golf since I was about 10 so I've had a lot of time to practice! For only golfing half a year you swing is much better than I would expect. You're definitely on the right track!

My Swing

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Been trying to get more body into my swing as I was told it was a bit too much arms by my club teacher.

It feels a bit weird so I am hitting my shots a bit more inconsistent (at least that is how it feels). I am not sure if my backswing is still too long though

Edited by louisfr

On 7/22/2020 at 3:22 PM, louisfr said:

Been trying to get more body into my swing as I was told it was a bit too much arms by my club teacher.

It feels a bit weird so I am hitting my shots a bit more inconsistent (at least that is how it feels). I am not sure if my backswing is still too long though

The Day 5 drill below is a great drill for your body turn. The first four days are good drills too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 7/24/2020 at 1:23 AM, boogielicious said:

The Day 5 drill below is a great drill for your body turn. The first four days are good drills too.

Thanks! Actually on day 5 right now. Will go through all these now when I'm on home-vacation and hopefully bring my game up. Cheers

Note: This thread is 1332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!