IGNORED

Need Help With Greenside Bunker

Note: This thread is 1370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is quite embarrassing.  I've been playing golf for about 25 years, average low 80, but suddenly I've been struggling so much in greenside bunkers this past few weeks.

2 weeks ago, shot 79 (avoided all bunkers), last week shot 89 (11 strokes in 4 bunkers), earlier today shot 91 (14 strokes in 5 bunkers).

I've watched countless youtube videos on bunker lessons over the years, just this past week I watched about 20+ different videos but still struggled.

I went back to the basic routine, wide stand, dig feet in, bent knees, stable stand, open my (56) sand wedge slightly, play the ball about 2-3 inches in front of the middle with about 60% weight on front foot, aim slightly left of target, hit the sand 2-3 inches in front of the ball.  Ball just went low and straight into the bunker lip and bounced back into the bunker, and when I eventually got out, just barely off the bunker lip into the rough.

This is so frustrating, I used to be able to get the ball on the green almost every time, but all of a sudden, I struggle like I've never played bunker before.  Can anyone shed some light into this frustrating issue, thanks.

Edited by MrQster

Check out this video and the accompanying thread.

Check also your grip.  Back in April, we figured out my grip was quite bad;  I spent quite a bit of time during lockdown just working on gripping differently.  Somehow when we came back I was a lot better at sand shots.

The part where you avoid bunkers is fantastic too.  When shot planning, I mentally treat the bunkers as if they're aquatic penalty areas. Obviously I don't play them that way when the ball actually ends up in one.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, MrQster said:

I went back to the basic routine, wide stand, dig feet in, bent knees, stable stand, open my (56) sand wedge slightly, play the ball about 2-3 inches in front of the middle with about 60% weight on front foot, aim slightly left of target, hit the sand 2-3 inches in front of the ball.  Ball just went low and straight into the bunker lip and bounced back into the bunker, and when I eventually got out, just barely off the bunker lip into the rough.

Are you blading it?  Is the sand firm or soft?  Tough to say without more info.  Common mis-hits I see are people not following through, they tend to stop the swing at the ball or the leading edge drops in the sand too much. Could be flipping to try and help the ball get out.  Imagine teeing a ball up a half inch on the range and using your sand wedge to try and hit the tee under the ball.  You don't need to take a lot of sand or go deep.  Just need enough to pop it up and out.

• Like 3

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

21 hours ago, Shindig said:

...Check also your grip.  Back in April, we figured out my grip was quite bad;  I spent quite a bit of time during lockdown just working on gripping differently.  Somehow when we came back I was a lot better at sand shots...

How? Can you elaborate how you improve your shot by gripping differently?  I've always use the same grip as any normal iron shot.

22 hours ago, phillyk said:

Are you blading it?  Is the sand firm or soft?  Tough to say without more info.  Common mis-hits I see are people not following through, they tend to stop the swing at the ball or the leading edge drops in the sand too much. Could be flipping to try and help the ball get out.  Imagine teeing a ball up a half inch on the range and using your sand wedge to try and hit the tee under the ball.  You don't need to take a lot of sand or go deep.  Just need enough to pop it up and out.

The sand was just normal, not fluffy and not hard.  And due to the Covid situation, all lies are perfect (new bunker rule: lift and place on flat spot because of no raking to avoid contact)

13 minutes ago, MrQster said:

How? Can you elaborate how you improve your shot by gripping differently?  I've always use the same grip as any normal iron shot.

The same I do for other shots.  Here's what happened:  Erik ( @iacas ) did a 30 day practice challenge for April since most of us were staying home a lot more than usual.  I started the process and, after a few days, he saw on the video that there was something horribly wrong with my grip.  I can go into more details if you'd like;  there's a page or two's worth starting here in the grip thread if you want to see what I'm doing:

I don't grip differently for my sand shots compared to irons or drive or any of the 13 clubs that aren't my putter.  However, I somehow became much better out of bunkers post-grip change and I think that's the only thing I changed.

(Unless the sand is better for some reason, or something fully out of my control, but this seems consistent across at least five courses in three counties)

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The game changer for me from the sand was to open or close the club face according to the amount of sand i think i have below the ball and it's firmness. More sand or soft I open a little more my lob wedge face to grab less sand with the club. More thin or rigid sand i close a little bit the clubs face to grab more sand with my swing. "Standar" sand/thick i use the regular open angle face.

Recently, while researching wedges, I came across this Vokey video. Its super simple and easy to understand. He talks of the front leg as the pillar, keep the hands low, and rotate through. I tried this thought pattern and it made my bunker game a little easier especially thinking rotate because I tend to get a little steep and this thought shallows me out. I don't square up like he says to but I am definitely more square than I used to be. Anyway, it clicked for me. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• iacas changed the title to Need Help With Greenside Bunker
Note: This thread is 1370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!