IGNORED

Risk With Tucking It in Too Much?

Note: This thread is 1370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I had some problems with my swing path, so I started focusing on my right elbow, tucking it in to my right side.
It did have a positive effect and I hit some beautiful push-draws.

But then I started thinking. Is there a risk of over-doing this?
One thing obviously is the swing path, getting too much inside-out. But I can detect if I am doing that by looking at the divot (and initial ball direction).
But what else could go wrong? I have had problems with getting too "around me" in the backswing. And I guess that's the same as bad swing width. Is that a risk?

Maybe there is something like "you should tuck it in, but remember to do this-or-that"?

Any opinions? I know I could just look at the resulting shot :-) but sometimes over-correcting masks out other errors in the swing (that I cannot see easily).

11 minutes ago, barnum1 said:

Hi,

I had some problems with my swing path, so I started focusing on my right elbow, tucking it in to my right side.
It did have a positive effect and I hit some beautiful push-draws.

But then I started thinking. Is there a risk of over-doing this?
One thing obviously is the swing path, getting too much inside-out. But I can detect if I am doing that by looking at the divot (and initial ball direction).
But what else could go wrong? I have had problems with getting too "around me" in the backswing. And I guess that's the same as bad swing width. Is that a risk?

Maybe there is something like "you should tuck it in, but remember to do this-or-that"?

Any opinions? I know I could just look at the resulting shot :-) but sometimes over-correcting masks out other errors in the swing (that I cannot see easily).

It is tough to tell without seeing your swing, but I fight having too much of an inside out swing. My misses are overdraws and hooks. When that is happening, I have to open the face and aim right of target. Hooks are harder to control than big fades IMO and they can lose distance with the driver. 

Instead of the “tuck it in” feel, which I’ve tried, I try to feel “out and around” with my right elbow. Tuck it in can steepen the shaft at A5. Out and around flattens the shaft for me and makes the path less inside out.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@boogielicious
Interesting. I also used to be too much of an inside-out, but apparently my usual fault is the opposite now..

Could you try to explain "out and around"? "Out" is not getting the club behind you I guess, but "around"?

That’s not something I’d ever want in my swing. Pros tend to have a decent amount of separation between the elbow and torso, and the right arm shouldn’t be more than 90 degrees at the top of the backswing. Impossible to say whether what you are doing is within normal parameters since there is no media.

It also doesn’t allow you to do the main move that shallows the club in transition, which is the reconnecting of the elbow with the torso.

Edited by Grizvok

1 minute ago, barnum1 said:

@boogielicious
Interesting. I also used to be too much of an inside-out, but apparently my usual fault is the opposite now..

Could you try to explain "out and around"? "Out" is not getting the club behind you I guess, but "around"?

Tuck it in, for me is having the right elbow come down in front of my right side. With that feel I was coming in steep and early extending my hip (tucking my butt in). With the out and around feel my elbow and hands feel like in am going to swing way over the ball, but in reality, they are just more on plane. This keeps my hips rotating with less early extension. In the video below, I am rehearsing that feel. At A6, my instructor wants my left arm/ hand further from my body. I rehearse that here. It still needs to be further out in the full swing. I’m still a bit steep at A5 and if you watch the club head, at A6, it passes left of my hands and is inside out.

Scott

My Swing Thread

@Grizvok

Thanks for the video!

I wasn't clear enough in my original post, I did not mean tuck it in at address or backswing, but in the downswing.
So reconnecting when going down was what I was talking about.

Now, having said that, the video did show a lot of "don'ts" that I was afraid of.
For example decreasing the angle between upper and lower arm.
Or driving the right elbow forward.
So it was really a great answer to potential pitfalls when reconnecting (or tucking it in as I wrote).

• Like 1

Just now, barnum1 said:

@Grizvok

Thanks for the video!

I wasn't clear enough in my original post, I did not mean tuck it in at address or backswing, but in the downswing.
So reconnecting when going down was what I was talking about.

Now, having said that, the video did show a lot of "don'ts" that I was afraid of.
For example decreasing the angle between upper and lower arm.
Or driving the right elbow forward.
So it was really a great answer to potential pitfalls when reconnecting (or tucking it in as I wrote).

Gotcha. In that case, it is absolutely a move you’ll want.

@boogielicious

Thanks for the video of your swing. I think it looks great, and I am not as good as you.
(Is your handicap index in the profile correct? The swing looks like a single handicapper to me :-) )

I think I understand what you are saying about "out and around". It clearly looks like you have swing width and reconnection without getting inside-out. (Maybe a bit at A6, but not much at impact?) 

Great practice equipment and camera work by the way!

• Thumbs Up 1

Definitely a video would be optimal, but imho, take this with a grain of salt, if your elbow appears tucked/bent going into impact because you are "eating the ball", getting low to the ground, covering it, the opposite of early extension, hips and head staying on the wall, head/hips/chest lowering, that's ok, because the body movement holistically is causing the trail elbow to bend. But if you are consciously bending your elbow, that's going to be a timing/consistency issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• iacas changed the title to Risk With Tucking It in Too Much?

Hi,

I finally got the courage to upload swing videos (down the line and front on, see links below).

My primary question is if my right elbow movement is good?
I'm very conscious about dropping/reconnecting elbow here, it feels almost like I'm overdoing it (pulling the elbow down to my side).

It looks like I'm inside-out, and the result in both cases were baby push-draws.
I was actually very content with the shots. (Only an 8i to make it easy for me :-)

Secondarily, I see other stuff I should improve (right knee "falling in" and lifting the right foot for example). And I do not have the lag good players have, but that is difficult for me to improve...

Thanks for input!

Videos (from Dropbox, hope it works):
Down the line

Front on

20 hours ago, barnum1 said:

Hi,

I finally got the courage to upload swing videos (down the line and front on, see links below).

My primary question is if my right elbow movement is good?
I'm very conscious about dropping/reconnecting elbow here, it feels almost like I'm overdoing it (pulling the elbow down to my side).

It looks like I'm inside-out, and the result in both cases were baby push-draws.
I was actually very content with the shots. (Only an 8i to make it easy for me :-)

Secondarily, I see other stuff I should improve (right knee "falling in" and lifting the right foot for example). And I do not have the lag good players have, but that is difficult for me to improve...

Thanks for input!

Videos (from Dropbox, hope it works):
Down the line

Front on

It’s hard to tell from the video because they are a full speed. Slow motion works better. You should not be shy about posting swing videos. It’s not a bad swing at all. I would recommend starting a My Swing thread. Film is slow motion on your phone. Trim it down to just the swing and upload it to YouTube. Then post the link in your thread. It should embed automatically.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!