IGNORED

Lengthening older Cobra clubs

Note: This thread is 1353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So i'm pretty much new to golf but hitting the ball well. I inherited my dads clubs but they are too short for me (they are standard length and i'm 6'3")

They seem to be pretty good clubs, King Cobras oversized with Graphite shafts. Not sure how old they are... I'm guessing 8 -10 years, but with not a lot of use.

I was thinking about a new set of clubs but at my level am I just better off lengthening these and maybe buyer a new driver?? (I have a decent old Taylor Made driver now) Guessing altering these might cost me $100-150.  That might do me for another year or two. Although these are old, are they worth keep so I don't have to break the bank on new clubs? Seems I can always add to this set if needed.

Any advice??

Thanks, Glenn

It would do you best to find out what length suits you best through a fitting. You often can get a free fitting if you buy clubs. If that’s looking out of your budget I would look at used clubs from quality brands such as Cobra. Many places let you trade in clubs and they’ll give the market value for trade-in to apply to your purchase. Graphite might not even be best for you. I wouldn’t fool with lengthening them. 

Measuring your wrist create to floor length can give you a static fitting which is just a ball park figure. Another benefit of a fitting so you see what actually works best for. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks Vinsk. Maybe I should have added that I had a quick fitting (for length anyway and i'm about a +1)  Unless there's more to it.

I'm confused by your advice. You say look at used clubs by Cobra. That's what I have. Do you mean already lengthened Cobras??

I was told there aren't many brands that have readily made sets at +1 and that pretty much anything I buy would have to be lengthened. 

If what i have are good can they be lengthen easily?

Welcome to the Sandtrap! I wouldn't lengthen a set of graphite shafted irons unless I was totally in love with them and the shaft was perfect for my swing. If you are just starting out, play them a little short for a while and then invest in a set that fits your swing. If cost is a factor look for used in your specs. If you buy a good set of irons you won't need to replace them until you get bored with them. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Thanks for the welcome TourSpoon. Many people i've talked to and played with say I really shouldn't play on the short clubs too long as to create bad/habits and a bad swing. But maybe it won't hurt. I've poked around a little for used sets but inventory is low everywhere because of Covid. Just curious... is it hard from a materials standpoint to lengthen graphite?

OP

I think those clubs are 20+ years old....IMO....not worth spending add'l money on...their value on trade in is basically nothing.

Because of your limited budget.....the pandemic has increased the price of used clubs...but I think you could still find some quality used clubs for $300-$600 if you know where to look for a good deal.

Your issue is trying to find a set of used clubs you like that are +1".

You are going to spend around $5-$10 per club plus the cost of new grips on extending them. So an 8 club set will run you around $110-$130 depending on grips. You will also want larger grips I am pretty sure if you are needing extra length and are 6 foot 3. That is every bit as important as getting the length right.

That is still way less than you will pay for a newer set of clubs though assuming you like them.

Extending graphite is not an issue, is done all the time. Only time I don't recommend extensions is if you need to go much over an inch added length. Inch and a quarter is where I usually cut it off and say you are better off reshafting the clubs or getting new ones.

Well I guess several different opinions here. If these are closer to the 15 yr old range are they still ok? My dad did not golf much and they seem to be in good shape for their age. I don't mind spending $300 plus on new (used) clubs if I can find them. But if these are fine for me now resized for $150 it might be ok.  Again i'm a beginner so if I can get a few years that would work. Maybe by then i'll have a better idea of what I need and inventory will be better.

30 minutes ago, Happy Golfmore said:

Well I guess several different opinions here. If these are closer to the 15 yr old range are they still ok? My dad did not golf much and they seem to be in good shape for their age. I don't mind spending $300 plus on new (used) clubs if I can find them. But if these are fine for me now resized for $150 it might be ok.  Again i'm a beginner so if I can get a few years that would work. Maybe by then i'll have a better idea of what I need and inventory will be better.

What shafts do you have in the Cobras now? Are they stiff, reg, senior, etc? Better question is how do hit them even though they are a little short? Bottom line is if you really just getting into golf and not sure were you are going, invest the least amount of money until you figure out what you want to do. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Thanks, that makes sense. I hit them ok, but honestly I don't have much of a reference point. I do know that I feel like I have to squat down a little to have the swing feel right. 

I have good hand/eye coordination and power but I just have to learn the nuances of the game and the needed touch.

Attached are some images of the clubs. As for specs it just says "Medium - Low Flex Point". If these are ok I might toss $100-150 into them. IMG_7342.thumb.JPG.67ee89c79f7953f7020e28ad42eccb9a.JPG

IMG_7340.JPG

IMG_7341.JPG

Those will probably work fine for a beginner set. They are regular flex and the low kick point will help get the ball up. You can easily get them extended, throw on a decent grip, and get right to it. 

These look like vintage 1996 so they have no value other than the sentimental value of belonging to your dad. Good luck! 

Thanks! Yeah I figure they are functional for my level, so it's just a matter of whether or not i feel like investing in them. Didn't realize they were quite that old :) No sentimental value really...just clubs he had.

Tough to throw money into something this old. I'll have to see what else is out there. Thanks for all who have piped in here ....much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

OEM graphite shaft typically will be 1/2" -1" longer than the steel counterpart.  So the length will be already at least 1/2" longer than the average mans set with steel shaft.

Your main concern should be the flex and the weight of the shaft, being 6'3" and young, you should try a stronger flex and heavier weight shaft.

I would pull the original shaft and save them for later, reshaft the set of irons with steel shafts.  It's a relatively simple job for even a home hobbyist.

If not , get your hands on another set of used golf clubs, prefer came with steel shafts and 3/4"-1" longer from the OEM.  Not saying after market job could not do better, but the OEM will take the extra length into consideration and properly reduced the head weight ( lighter badge in the cavity to reduce weight ) making the swing weight correct for the standard D0-D2 for men.

Used set of irons will not set you back too much, that should satisfied your current need until later.

Thanks guys, just an update.... Just so happens this weekend (via Facebook Marketplace close to home) I found a set of PING G400 +1 irons. Stiff steel shafts. The guy had ordered them direct from the factory in 2017 so they are full shafts not extended from standard. He was upgrading. They are in great condition. I went to the range and they feel so much better than the standard club (no more hunching over) 

Paid $400 which looks like a pretty good value especially finding the extra length. So these should do for a few years while I learn more.

• Like 2

It sounds like you are on your way with a great set of clubs that should last you a good while. Good luck! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!