IGNORED

Is Long John toast?

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 5710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi

He is not playing because he was late for the pro-am and disqualified from the tournament. See back 8 or 9 posts.

To my knowledge he does not have any big sponsors left and after this last round of infamy I don't see any knocking on his door. He is done with Maxfli and the last time I saw him he was with a local Chevy dealer and 84 lumber. Where is he making his millions from? Does anyone know if he is getting sponsored this year? I am sure that he could just do corporate outings, but again, that is truly a waste of his potential. Unfortunately the alimony and the stories that go with it could be a whole other tragic thread. All this and yet we are all still rooting for him to get it together.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . .Watching John Daly on the Golf Channel this morning made me realize that 1.) he most probably is an alcoholic that is in denial 2.) he blames things on himself, but says "that's just the way things are going in my life right now" 3.) that he is certainly remorseful in how his missing his T-time affected other golfers and 4.) because he IS in denial, thinks that it is OK to hang out in the Hooters tent and have a self proclaimed "few beers". He can't have a few beers! I lived in an alcoholic family growing up and all the signs point to a very nice guy who just has not grasped the severity of his situation. Most alcoholics have to drop to the bottom before they can lift themselves up again. I hate seeing this happen!

Mike

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

Hi

JD has got his book, exhibitions, his own branded wine, golf course design company, his sponsors (Taylor Made etc) and he also sells his own merchandise from his truck and online so he can't be doing too badly. Also he is a great Skins player so he usually gets a cash injection at the end of the season.

As long as he is a spectacle he will always be able to make money. Remember, Caffeine + Nicotine= Protein, according to the Big Man.

bb

Hi

Well it has worked for him in the past...

I followed him at Doral a few years back during one of his "sober" times and watched him down the diet coke and smoke like a fiend. Later that week he was quoted in the paper as having a 18 Diet Coke a day habit along with a few packs of smokes for good measure. Soon after that C+N=P formula for success rolled out.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I think he made an honest mistake, why would anyone want to drop a duece in Arnold Palmer's punch bowl????

I think it is disgusting that he did what he did. Honest mistake? He knows the PGA's policy on Pro-Ams. I don't buy any of it for a second. The worst part about it is that this is Arnie's Tournament! The KING! And you got Els dropping out, Daly deucing in the punchbowl, and the greens not being up to snuff! The tournament feels "dirty", it doesnt feel like a the classy PGA Tour event that it is.

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

. . .I read about JD's time in the Hooter's tent drinking beers and flipping off the photographers. I did not hear anything about a deuce dropped in the punchbowl!! He said that he used Gruden as a stand in Caddie because his normal guy had a sore shoulder. . .I agree on Arnie's tournament. . .Ernie should not have initially entered as he said he would "never" play in 6 events in a row again. . .!! As for the greens, what can you do?!

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

. . .I read about JD's time in the Hooter's tent drinking beers and flipping off the photographers. I did not hear anything about a deuce dropped in the punchbowl!! He said that he used Gruden as a stand in Caddie because his normal guy had a sore shoulder. . .I agree on Arnie's tournament. . .Ernie should not have initially entered as he said he would "never" play in 6 events in a row again. . .!! As for the greens, what can you do?!

I know you can't do anything about the greens. It is just another side shot for poor Arnie in already messy beginning.

THIS IS BAY HILL! Geez where is TIM FINCHEM in all of this?
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

. . I did not hear anything about a deuce dropped in the punchbowl!!

The expresion is just a crude and funny way of saying biting the hand that feeds you.

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

...The people that hate him are the Conservatists who think golf is a game only for the rich gentlemanly like kind of person...

WOW, thats a pretty bold statement...is

Conservatist even a word? I would have to say that I am disappointed because of the way he acted, but I definitely don't HATE him (I don't even personally know him...and I'm sure most of you don't either)...kind of harsh to just say you HATE him because he didn't show up for a Pro-Am or because he's an alcoholic or because he has had multiple wives or because he's fat/lazy or whatever. JD will be the individual he always has been, and if he decides to change for the better, good for him!

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Hi

there is a good interview on the Golf Channel with JD talking about what happeded to him at the Arnold Palmer Invitational..he says ' I like to do things for people who help me'.-he looks like he is about to have a cardiac episode.

I wonder if JD will be in Puerto Rico next week-id like to see that..

(JD + Puerto Rican babes +Beer) - Intelligence = Disaster/Another Orgy.

bb

I'm very sorry and sad to hear about what is happening to JD. I'm equally sad and sorry to hear some of the posters reactions to JD's current state.

We must remember that JD is a very ill individual. Addiction is a very misunderstood illness, which most nonaddicted folks rarely understand. The fact IS that JD likely has little control over his alcholism or gambling etc etc etc. JD's disease does however, effect other people (ie his family, close friends, and even other PGA members)... Yet this doesn't change the fact that he IS afflicted with a terrible illness that requires help. JD still needs to recognize that he IS sick with addiction and decide that he wants a better life(and hopefully he soon will).

I also suspect that most here would NEVER think ill of, or have no respect for a single mother that got cancer(the illness) and could no longer perform duties that she could when heathy(thus, affecting others close to her and her colleges). This is similar to how many see an addiction, as an illness.

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

Hi

ok JD is ill..if so then he should not be able to play in any PGA tour event or granted any exemptions until he is properly rehabilitated and 'better'....he has been drinking heavily for 20+ years and i suspect it is a habit of a lifetime for him rather than a relapse.

It makes sense that he should not play any more tourneys because the tour owes him a duty of care or an american equivalent to look after him.

bb

I'm very sorry and sad to hear about what is happening to JD. I'm equally sad and sorry to hear some of the posters reactions to JD's current state.

I am an ex-drinker. That's all I'll say.

John is probably in a spot where he really isn't making his own decisions. I hurt for him every time he screws up. Good take.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Hi

If JD is in fact ill, why should he not play any tour events if offered? This IS a great example of social stigma that addiction(the illness) seems to receive.

So let's look at another illness example: Say, the single mother with cancer(the illness) has 3 children, which she can no longer care for, due to the cancer... certainly affecting the said children. Thus, the children are then deemed a ward of the state(or government)... Given the circumstances, should the ill mother NOT be allowed to see her children... due primarily to the cancer(her illness... which in turn, directly effects her ability to properly care for them)?? I suspect, most would say... She can/could see her kids.

Hi

i agree with you, its just doing the right thing for JD.

We can't deny him the right to play on the tour but we also have to look at what playing on the tour is doing to him...i don't know if he is an alcoholic but the media is saying mostly that he is.

bb

I'm glad to see a little compassion coming into this thread. All we really know is what we see on the TV or read with regard to John Daly - and from the recent evidence (interviews, behavior, physical condition) the situation looks very sad. When you are young, and in the prime of your physical recuperative powers, it is much easier to be a functional alcoholic and abuse your body with cigarettes and a horrible diet. I think John is probaby starting to suffer from the ravages of time. His 42 year old body and alcohol riddled mind are starting to let him down.

I too have had my troubles with the bottle and know how difficult it can be to make a change when you've been on a long 'bender' and everything seems to be going against you.

I hope he finds some inspiration to make a better life for himself.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I'm glad to see a little compassion coming into this thread. All we really know is what we see on the TV or read with regard to John Daly - and from the recent evidence (interviews, behavior, physical condition) the situation looks very sad. When you are young, and in the prime of your physical recuperative powers, it is much easier to be a functional alcoholic and abuse your body with cigarettes and a horrible diet. I think John is probaby starting to suffer from the ravages of time. His 42 year old body and alcohol riddled mind are starting to let him down.

Ditto, very well put.

You are correct as alcoholism and addiction are illnesses as defined as the AMA. The difference between a mom with cancer and an alcoholic is usually that the person that has cancer knows it while the alcoholic is usually the last person to figure it out. The big reason is denial...it's not a river in Egypt. If John is truely powerless over alcohol he will never beat it until he hits his bottom. Unfortunately for people with star power, there are too many people willing to prop them up therefore not allowing them to hit bottom. His actions of late are taking him to a new low and hopefully closer to his bottom and ultimately recovery from a seeminglessly hopeless state of body and mind. The guy needs help. We all get that and really hope the trainwreck stops before it is too late.

Note: This thread is 5710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!