IGNORED

Golfing after Open Heart Surgery

Greg 504
Note: This thread is 1055 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

29 minutes ago, Greg 504 said:

I've been rolling some putts inside this past week. I also took my mom and daughter to Topgolf Wednesday. I hit about 30 balls there to the red and yellow targets. I was quite careful being 5 weeks out from surgery only taking 1/4 chip shots. Felt great to get out and do something more than sit on my ass or take walks.

I'm still pleasantly surprised how far along in recovery I am. I am walking at least 3 miles a day and some days just under 5 miles collectively. Each day I can tell I continue to get stronger and stronger. It's a constant battle to stay reigned in and not over do it. I need to heal quickly as my 13 year old daughter was smashing the ball at Topgolf! She'll be passing me in no time.

Great update!

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I met my mom and took my daughter to a local par 32 executive course yesterday since the weather was gorgeous here in central Ohio. I joined them and played 9 from the forward tees using 1/4 swings. My biggest challenge was deciding what club to use with 1/4 swing. I was grabbing 7-8 irons where I would normally use a SW or 60. Greatest thing was, I didn't care, I was out golfing 1 day shy of 6 weeks post op! 

Ended up shooting 44 on the par 32 course, but the score truly didn't matter to me. My biggest score is where I am in recovery. I'm forever grateful to my surgery team at Cleveland Clinic for how I feel and my future quality of life as it will continue to get better.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Wow, if this thread doesn't make you feel a bit better about the world not sure what would. Thank you for sharing your recovery plan @Greg 504 and also a hardy (virtual COVID approved) high five to @StuM for checking in.

• Thumbs Up 2

Michael

• 6 months later...

I guess everyone is different, and there is no hard answer as to " when can I play golf again?". I had a quadruple bypass 9 weeks ago; vein from my right leg, and left mammary artery were used. Yes, they did a sternotomy, which is not at all infected and is mostly healed up. I'm 69, and until February, I was doing maybe 100 push ups a day (throughout the course of the day), along with my TRX body weight thing. But, I couldn't jog 70 yards anymore without being gassed. I walked the course 4 -5 times per week.

I'm playing tomorrow morning, I have my electric motorized "push cart" ready to go, and maybe I will have to ride the back nine. I played four holes yesterday, carried my bag with only six clubs in it, swinging maybe half and with a bad (cut) follow through. Ball goes OK. My chest is tired from lifting (minimal) weights at cardiac rehab. Otherwise, it doesn't hurt to swing. If it does. I'll quit.

Seems that waiting a really long time is crazy. And, what does a cardiologist or surgeon really know about your current condition without doing a MRI or CT Scan? The docs told me that if I split my chest (ie, airbag) the damage is irreparable, so since they let me drive now, I assume it is past the irreparable point.

• Thumbs Up 2

Note: This thread is 1055 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!