IGNORED

Suggestions on Irons for a Beginner

cnl390
Note: This thread is 1268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My 40 year old son has decided to take up golf.  Aside from playing a charity scramble yesterday he has never played.  He is planning on taking lessons.  What would be a good set of preowned inexpensive game improvement irons to start with?  I play Ping and suggested G30's.  But since I biased toward Ping, I figured it would be best to see what you all's thoughts are. 

Thanks

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

Do you have a Costco Membership? If so check the Callaway Edge set for about $500 if they still have them. This is a full set and includes driver, FW, hybrid. and irons, and an Odyssey putter.

Edited by DrvFrShow
  • Like 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Do you have a Costco Membership? If so check the Callaway Edge set for about $500 if they still have them. This is a full set and includes driver, FW, hybrid. and irons, and an Odyssey putter.

That might work.  He is looking at around $600

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

The Callaway Edge at Costco might be seasonal.  Doesn't look like ours has them.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

17 hours ago, cnl390 said:

The Callaway Edge at Costco might be seasonal.  Doesn't look like ours has them.

I looked at Costco On-Line, all they had was a women's set.

You might want to look at Cobra as well, check Ebay of course. 

Go back and look at Golf Digests Hot List from 5-7 years ago online and find the game improvement category. The Hot List is a bit of a joke I realize but you will see the offerings from all the big companies for that year. Then just go on Ebay and see what you can find putting in whichever club looks good. Ping, Callaway, Taylormade, Cobra, Cleveland, all good options.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Go back and look at Golf Digests Hot List from 5-7 years ago online and find the game improvement category. The Hot List is a bit of a joke I realize but you will see the offerings from all the big companies for that year. Then just go on Ebay and see what you can find putting in whichever club looks good. Ping, Callaway, Taylormade, Cobra, Cleveland, all good options.

Seconding this. Pretty much any OEM's game improvement or super game improvement from a couple model years ago will give him the performance and forgiveness he needs for a solid price. Just make sure you do your research on the ebay seller. I've had good success with it, but if you are more skeptical, there are plenty of second-hand retailers online.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

Very recently a thread was started here about PingEye2 iron sets and subject was some folk (experienced players) were seeking out these clubs to play AGAIN.  I have played Eye2 irons for many years, now on my second set as the first set was stolen.  As old as this design is, people have always got good memories and respect for these clubs.  and you can find sets for $100 or less ALL DAY LONG.  Buy a set, re-grip, and he's set up - to see if he likes the game.  With the difference from buying sets suggested, you have $$ for that driver and putter (these clubs will be more per each than a couple sets of Eye2s). and a bag.

Be sure to put new 'velvet' grips on the properly fit clubs (according to the Ping site) and your son will have the best starter set he could find - and he may just play them for years to come.  You know, you're Ping. 

PS - I had been planning on a new set of irons just because but when I tuck one up close from 100 or 150 yards, I forget about it.  I am shopping putters tho.  

What he gets will depend if he's gonna stick with it. I play the Cobra F9 One Lengths and they make it easier since everything is 7i length. Also Cobra clubs come with the Arccos system in the grips so you can keep track of your progress. Cobra still has these available direct new for about $500 for 6i - GW. You'd still need to pick up a 5H, a 5W, a Driver, and I'd recommend a Cleveland Smart Sole S (because they're easy for bunkers), and a putter. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• iacas changed the title to Suggestions on Irons for a Beginner
Note: This thread is 1268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!