IGNORED

New Member from Chicago

Daveje97
Note: This thread is 1245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’ve lurked around this forum for awhile but decided to take the plunge today. I’m a 45 yr old guy who lives on the north side of the city and plays in the north suburbs. I played in college and have been bouncing around between +1 and 3 for most of my adult life but, to be honest, it was pretty phony. I barely played much, never practiced but all the years of playing and competing meant I was always able to scrounge up a handful of good rounds each summer to keep the number low.  This summer, I really caught the bug and had a run for about six weeks where I felt like I was in college again. I have not felt this enthused about the and had this much desire to improve since about 1995. I love the idea of some of these accountability threads to keep me on track with my improvement plans and goals for the winter. Now I just have to hope the city doesn’t completely shut down so I don’t lose my hitting bay and Trackman.  I guess if (when) that happens, I’ll find out how much cold I’m willing to tolerate in the backyard to get better at this dumb game.

—Dave

Edited by Daveje97

11 hours ago, Daveje97 said:

I’ve lurked around this forum for awhile but decided to take the plunge today. I’m a 45 yr old guy who lives on the north side of the city and plays in the north suburbs. I played in college and have been bouncing around between +1 and 3 for most of my adult life but, to be honest, it was pretty phony. I barely played much, never practiced but all the years of playing and competing meant I was always able to scrounge up a handful of good rounds each summer to keep the number low.  This summer, I really caught the bug and had a run for about six weeks where I felt like I was in college again. I have not felt this enthused about the and had this much desire to improve since about 1995. I love the idea of some of these accountability threads to keep me on track with my improvement plans and goals for the winter. Now I just have to hope the city doesn’t completely shut down so I don’t lose my hitting bay and Trackman.  I guess if (when) that happens, I’ll find out how much cold I’m willing to tolerate in the backyard to get better at this dumb game.

—Dave

Welcome, Dave.

I'm about a half decade your senior. And you're considerably better at this game than I. 

I grew up in the North Suburbs of Chicago. I didn't start playing until after getting my first job out of college. My first round was at St Andrews in West Chicago, IL.

Having started my golfing life in Chicagoland and the North Suburbs, I may have fixed a few ball marks on the same greens as you. I left Chicagoland in 1999, so I'm going from memory here. But some of the courses I used to play a fair amount back in the day include. Chapel Hill in McHenry, IL. Boone Creek, in Bull Valley, IL. and then there was Crystal Woods and Craig Woods in Woodstock, IL. ... those two may have been combined into the same course now. Not sure. 

There was also one... maybe on HWY 47... I remember it was built on top of an old garbage dump... Something Mountain, maybe???? 

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Enjoy it.

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, Daveje97 said:

—Dave

Welcome! I grew up in the first couple suburbs north of the city. Left the area in ‘08. I definitely miss the golf out there, I’ve been meaning to go back and play Shepherds Crook. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Welcome, Dave.

I'm about a half decade your senior. And you're considerably better at this game than I. 

I grew up in the North Suburbs of Chicago. I didn't start playing until after getting my first job out of college. My first round was at St Andrews in West Chicago, IL.

Having started my golfing life in Chicagoland and the North Suburbs, I may have fixed a few ball marks on the same greens as you. I left Chicagoland in 1999, so I'm going from memory here. But some of the courses I used to play a fair amount back in the day include. Chapel Hill in McHenry, IL. Boone Creek, in Bull Valley, IL. and then there was Crystal Woods and Craig Woods in Woodstock, IL. ... those two may have been combined into the same course now. Not sure. 

There was also one... maybe on HWY 47... I remember it was built on top of an old garbage dump... Something Mountain, maybe???? 

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Enjoy it.

Thanks for the welcome.  

You were a little further north and west from where I grew up and mainly played. I wouldn’t be surprised if I played some tournaments out that way since it seemed like I was racking up tons of miles to get to and from events.

11 hours ago, phillyk said:

Welcome! I grew up in the first couple suburbs north of the city. Left the area in ‘08. I definitely miss the golf out there, I’ve been meaning to go back and play Shepherds Crook. 

I grew up in Glencoe so about the 5th suburb north.  Shepherds Crook is a lot of fun. I haven’t been up there in years but would love to get back next summer.

Edited by Daveje97

Note: This thread is 1245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!