IGNORED

Most Underrated Player from "old" days

Eore
Note: This thread is 5907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i would say billy casper

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Roberto De Vicenzo--he won 230 times around the world--more than anyone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_DeVicenzo

Just check this out^^^^^

Why doesnt anyone talk about this guy

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Roberto De Vicenzo--he won 230 times around the world--more than anyone

oh, people talk about "what a stupid he is" he was actually my second choice

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

From my era it would have to be Tom Kite. Incredibly consistent and made alot of money but should have won more majors imo. Always seemed to fly under the radar.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

Most players from the "old days" are underrated by the majority of young golfers "now-a days" IMO largely due to a lack of knowledge about players from Ben Hogans, and even Bobby Jones' era's, this is where the argument jack didn't have to compete with the same strength in depth that Tiger has too, ignorance it would appear, is bliss.

However on a similar note, most current players are, I believe underestimated by some of the older 'veteran' golfers who will use the argument back in my day. etc etc. The talent and pure skill of the current list of top golfers is scary (accept it, these guys are quality) but their ability is of course over shadowed by Tiger. However these days players are known as 'chokers' because they simply can not beat Tiger down the stretch. Some say this is why Tiger has it easier that Jack ever did (and use it as an argument to favour Jacks side of the "who is the better golfer" debate), how ever if Tiger Woods never existed the number of so called 'chokers' would decrease dramatically. I believe this shows how strong Tiger Woods is as a golfer and a mental competitor, and one of the strengths Tiger has that sets him apart and above from Jack.

But to return to the question, I believe that almost every player from the past (and from the present) is massively under rated due to the high expectations of the viewer expecting each professional golfer to perform the 'perfect' round of golf every time they play.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Most players from the "old days" are underrated by the majority of young golfers "now-a days" IMO largely due to a lack of knowledge about players from Ben Hogans, and even Bobby Jones' era's, this is where the argument jack didn't have to compete with the same strength in depth that Tiger has too, ignorance it would appear, is bliss.

You're right about that, but who's to say that Jack and the boys don't fall into the "chokers" category if Tiger did exist back then.

Its impossible to assume that Tiger wouldn't have that effect on every golfer from yesterday when has that effect on EVERY golfer today. Maybe Jack, Arny and Ben H are lucky he plays today rather than with them.....I'm sure today's PGA pros would be more pleased to be chasing Tiger's records he set decades ago, rather than being drug along and trying to keep up as he rampages on destroying every record in his way..... Just my $0.02

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

i would say billy casper

You read my mind. I would also include Tom Watson in there, believe it or not. Watson was a far, far better player than Greg Norman and people went nuts over Norman, especially endorsement deals, compared to Watson. 3JACK

You read my mind.

True, 8 Majors, 5 of them Open Championships and 4 of them with Jack in 2nd place.

Although not quite "underrated" I don't think Bobby Jones is getting the respect he deserves as the "Greatest Golfer of All Time". C'mon he only played in 31 majors and won 13 in 7 years, including the REAL Grand Slam, while going to law school. Now thats skill.
In My Bag:
Driver: r580XD R flex
3 Wood: Mac Burrows 13*
Irons: Apex 2 iron
Irons: Edge 3-E ('89-92)Wedge: rac TP Satin 56*12Wedge: rac TP Black 60*06Putter: CER Milled CP03 (GolfWorks custom head)Ball: Pro V1 or any other found premimum ball

True, 8 Majors, 5 of them Open Championships and 4 of them with Jack in 2nd place.

I think Tiger would have 9 and 8ed him using the same equipment

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I would have to say Seve.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

I would have to say Seve.

He choked and that's all I will remember him by

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

He choked and that's all I will remember him by

haha. thats true.

although...............besides tiger > they all have. i just enjoy watching the way he played his short game. particularly out of the sand. amazing.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

Craig Stadler was underrrrated. I dont think anybody knew that he won the Masters.

Craig Stadler was underrrrated. I dont think anybody knew that he won the Masters.

We know...how else does he get to play there every year?...he shot 75 in the first round too...won the playoff. I also think that his on course personna underrepresents himself and his abilities. Good pick.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

If you are under 55 or so, you have no recollection of the "old" days as you weren't alive then. Its like talking to someone about war who has never served in the military and has never been in combat.

I consider Palmer and anyone who came after him a "modern" era golfer.

The equipment available to the pros 50 years ago was horrendous compared to what everyone has access to today. 50 years ago pros were still using hickory shafts and persimmon heads. Irons might or might not have any grooves and some were heavier than what people call trainer or warm up clubs today. Club faces were usually tiny and the ball had to be hit perfectly. Balls weren't much better, tiny liquid center rubber balls wound with rubber bands and soft balata rubber covers that would cut and smile at you unless hit perfectly. Those balls were inconsistent, aged rapidly to poor performance, and had poor lift - like Forest Woods box of chocolates, you never knew what you would get. Pros 50 years ago never used a a new, untested ball right out of the sleeve.

To be a major champion before the mid to late 1950s meant you had to be be a near perfect ball striker with perfect timing and a great putter. In short, a golf God.

Palmer got a taste of more modern equipment like steel shafts and Nickalaus came in right as equipment begain changing radically. Their use of the latest equipment improvements were a major factor in their success.

A Hogan, Sneed, or Nelson with modern equipment would embarass Woods today. Woods is a great putter, but they would tear him up in fairways hit, length and GIR, then match him putt for putt.

I can reasonably expect to play close to par (even under some days) on my home course with my equipment; however, I know I couldn't hope of breaking 90 with the best equipment available to anyone in 1958.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

Note: This thread is 5907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!