IGNORED

Pros vs. Ams: Golf Swing Hip Rotation

Warlock
Note: This thread is 1383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All

Looking at this AMG video below , was wondering whether it is just a setup issue at address that can prevent the pelvis moving prematurely towards the ball-target line ? So if if there is unweighting of the trail leg in the early downswing (while the 'Core' rotates the pelvis and spins the trail hip) , the improved AMG setup with centre line of hips directly over the ankle joints (or slightly forwards towards the mid-sole) will cure this issue? But is there an explanation why this is a cure?

Hobby is studying golf biomechanics (especially the kinetics) . No official handicap and play only 7-8  times a year for fun scoring between 81-85 . Don't practice and just use external focus cues to swing with a general appreciation of the physics involved. My favourite golf scientists are Dave Tutelman and Dr Sasho Mackenzie.

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, Warlock said:

Looking at this AMG video below, was wondering whether it is just a setup issue at address that can prevent the pelvis moving prematurely towards the ball-target line?

I don't think they're saying that it's only the setup issue. You can see that even after correcting the setup, it took "John" a few swings to play around with the feeling a bit.

44 minutes ago, Warlock said:

So if if there is unweighting of the trail leg in the early downswing (while the 'Core' rotates the pelvis and spins the trail hip) , the improved AMG setup with centre line of hips directly over the ankle joints (or slightly forwards towards the mid-sole) will cure this issue? But is there an explanation why this is a cure?

I think you're conflating two things here.

To the video specifically, if your balance is too far in the heels and/or you rotate around the right hip on the backswing, your lower center (hips) will move forward toward the ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

This was perhaps one of the most powerful images in the video.

tilted_shins.png

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

tilted_shins.png

I don’t think I would have guessed that but makes sense.  If I’m not paying attention I tend to get weight more in my heels at setup.  

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

6 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't think they're saying that it's only the setup issue. You can see that even after correcting the setup, it took "John" a few swings to play around with the feeling a bit.

I think you're conflating two things here.

To the video specifically, if your balance is too far in the heels and/or you rotate around the right hip on the backswing, your lower center (hips) will move forward toward the ball.

Many thanks.

Hobby is studying golf biomechanics (especially the kinetics) . No official handicap and play only 7-8  times a year for fun scoring between 81-85 . Don't practice and just use external focus cues to swing with a general appreciation of the physics involved. My favourite golf scientists are Dave Tutelman and Dr Sasho Mackenzie.

On 12/14/2020 at 6:44 PM, iacas said:

tilted_shins.png

This just opened my eyes. Thank you for pointing this part out of the video. I've been looking to find a position that is comfortable and I've been messing around!! Great share

• Like 1

Love these pro vs am videos.  I am a numbers person to help me go with feel. My only advice, only watch these videos if it’s your true problem, they may make swing worse if you have another cause and affect in your swing. 

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

13 hours ago, grubby98 said:

Love these pro vs am videos.  I am a numbers person to help me go with feel. My only advice, only watch these videos if it’s your true problem, they may make swing worse if you have another cause and affect in your swing. 

Wondering what the golfer has to do that will recreate those Pro movements (at the correct time in the whole kinematic sequence)? 

14 hours ago, grubby98 said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with watching these videos for academic purposes. I don’t generally watch golf videos to fix faults in my own swing.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!