IGNORED

Michigan Golf Trip

Note: This thread is 1058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have some knowledge of Sugarbush.   If you have questions about it, don't hesitate to ask.    I play the course many times throughout the year because their senior rate is so low.  It's always in good shape but tough and long.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are getting close to my area.  Cascades, Calderone and Grande are all nice courses.  I am not sure the Grande allows walking.  I think their rates include the cart but maybe you can walk and just pay for the cart.  Cascades is a good walking course.  Calderone is a bit more of a chore with some distance between tee and next green.

Brian Kuehn

On 2/27/2021 at 9:29 AM, bkuehn1952 said:

You are getting close to my area.  Cascades, Calderone and Grande are all nice courses.  I am not sure the Grande allows walking.  I think their rates include the cart but maybe you can walk and just pay for the cart.  Cascades is a good walking course.  Calderone is a bit more of a chore with some distance between tee and next green.

Good intel thanks! Yeah I noticed on the Grande website it was only one rate. I assume it will be busy and since I'm most likely going as a single I'm hoping they let me walk to cut down on the waiting in between shots.

@mattm16where are you now?

Also, your profile shows a long time since you posted, welcome back!

• Like 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

12 hours ago, mattm16 said:

I actually grew up in the thumb and went to Mayville schools.  Was a member at Greenbrier and my parents still are.

What's your name? I went to Mayville as well and I'm sure I know your parents

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today I was able to book my trip to Garland (Lewiston, MI).  June 28th to July 1st.  Hoping the COVID crap is relaxed and they open the breakfast buffet and have a full menu for dinner.  Last year they scaled things back, it was still good but just not as good as in years prior.  In trying to work out days, times & courses they were already filling up which is good for golf.  I know busy resort courses can be slow courses but we need them to make money to stay open so I am glad they are busy.  My wife & I are considering adding a couple days at the end and drive up to Treetops but have not decided on that yet.  May just wait later in the year and do a 2nd trip up to Northern Michigan.  

On 3/1/2021 at 4:26 PM, mattm16 said:

I currently live in Monroe, Michigan.  Work in IT at University of Michigan Credit Union.  Matt McTaggart.

I drive past you at least once a month on my way to Toledo.  If you are open to it maybe I fit in a round of golf either before or after I visit my father in Toledo.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

On 3/1/2021 at 4:26 PM, mattm16 said:

I currently live in Monroe, Michigan.  Work in IT at University of Michigan Credit Union.  Matt McTaggart.

Realized I don't know a lot of the members last names lol well if you're ever back home and want to swat 9 let me know!

• 2 months later...

The trip was a resounding success! Played well enough, the courses were great, weather was perfect, met a lot of cool people, the travel and lodging went off without a hitch, the restaurants I went to were fantastic, overall it was an incredible time.

My swing was all out of sorts but I was able to patch things together and score ok. Although the numbers were decent I know I could have done much better. I made a point to play from the tips when possible (a couple I just played the same tees as the group I joined up with) and my driver was on point the entire trip so playing from longer yardages wasn't as much of an issue as I envisioned My distance was a big talking point with everyone I played with which was cool it was the best stretch I've had with the driver and was consistently well over 300 longest I measured with my gps was 346. Don't let the fairways hit number fool you I was surprisingly under control there were only a handful of big misses which was a great to see. 

I hit a lot of memorable shots (would love to run through a few if anyone at all is interested lol) made a good amount of birdies and only one eagle (which was an absolutely sick chip in on the par 5 6th at Calderone) thankfully my highlights outweighed the lowlights so I wrapped up the trip feeling good about my game. Playing harder courses also helped the handicap I went from a 6.3 to a 5.5 hitting one of my yearly goals to get in the 5s, this time last year I was a 14 and at the start of this year I was a 9 so I'm on the right trajectory. The scores below cover all rounds aside from my round at Sugarbush and my round at The Grande because I did not play legit rounds there, while also having my combined round from league where last week I shot a 4 over 39 and yesterday I shot an even par 36.

image.png.16df478386c63904ab7da9702d3edbde.png

• Like 2

Note: This thread is 1058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!