IGNORED

My Swing (badatputt)

badatputt
Note: This thread is 1209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 10 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 95
My typical ball flight is: push/hook
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: push

Videos: 

Hi guys I am trying to solve a elbow behind the body at the top of the backswing. My elbow seems to not be inside when my hands are shoulder height, but my elbow seems to pull inside from when the hands are shoulder height to the end of the backswing. Any feedback appreciated.

Also sorry for the face on the video, feeling kind of paranoid these days.

Edited by iacas
embedded video, removed quote

We’d love to help you, but this video isn’t going to be much to go on. You should try to get video of you actually hitting a golf ball so that we can see what’s happening in your actual swing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Face on and down the line. I couldn't tell if the golf swing was in slow motion or you just made the video slow-mo.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Okay thank you both for the replies.

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

Face on and down the line. I couldn't tell if the golf swing was in slow motion or you just made the video slow-mo.

The video is slo mo. I can make it regular speed next time.

1 hour ago, badatputt said:

Okay thank you both for the replies.

The video is slo mo. I can make it regular speed next time.

Make the video in slow motion, but have it with you hitting a ball. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Make the video in slow motion, but have it with you hitting a ball. 

And trim it if you could.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Guys I reposted the video trimmed with me hitting the ball. I posted both down the line and face-on slo mo as requested, but I am more particularly worried about down the line. I have two questions about my swing:

1. My right elbow seems to not be around/behind the body when my hands are shoulder height, but my right elbow goes behind the body at the end of the backswing. What do you think I am doing wrong from when my hands are shoulder height to the end of the backswing? (It seems like a short distance to me)

2. I have an over the top swing. I was wondering if it was caused by something in my backswing, or if I need to work on my downswing sequence.

Down the line:

Face On: 

Also, sorry for the face in the video. I'm feeling kinda paranoid these days.

Thanks, Ethan

48 minutes ago, badatputt said:

1. My right elbow seems to not be around/behind the body when my hands are shoulder height, but my right elbow goes behind the body at the end of the backswing.

I need to clarify this sentence: by "my right elbow seems to not be around/behind the body when the hands are shoulder height", I mean that at that position my right elbow in relation to the edge of my body looks correct when compared with slo-mos on youtube.

The first five videos in this thread below address some of your questions.

This video also talks about the trail elbow. It can get stuck behind your torso.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Like @mvmac says it’s your pivot and the trail elbow folding. Turn more/faster, bend less.

And take this challenge.

This not only moves the shirt seam farther around but keeps the elbow farther out.

Okay thank you for the feedback. I'll take on the trail arm challenge as suggested. 

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Also Billchao thank you for the instructions. I wrongly assumed that by embedding videos, I just had to copy and paste the embedded link on YouTube.

Also just wondering, is it possible to keep the elbow in front with a narrow takeaway? I know that Willett does it, but does he do it in a way that most people can't copy?

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, badatputt said:

Also just wondering, is it possible to keep the elbow in front with a narrow takeaway? I know that Willett does it, but does he do it in a way that most people can't copy?

Possible, sure. Likely, no.

Also:

image.png

• Administrator
1 minute ago, badatputt said:

Appreciate the feedback.

Look, you're asking a LOT of questions, but this isn't just about theory, it's about your actual swing. So, it's really going to be much more about the work than the theory. You're not going to solve this by thinking about it more. You're going to get better at it — maybe not even ever completely solve it — by doing some work.

Do the challenge I gave you. Ideally outside, or hitting a ball at nearly full speed somewhere. See what that does. It'll be a start, regardless.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, iacas said:

Look, you're asking a LOT of questions, but this isn't just about theory, it's about your actual swing. So, it's really going to be much more about the work than the theory. You're not going to solve this by thinking about it more. You're going to get better at it — maybe not even ever completely solve it — by doing some work.

Do the challenge I gave you. Ideally outside, or hitting a ball at nearly full speed somewhere. See what that does. It'll be a start, regardless.

Yeah I have a tendency of overthinking things. Sometimes I forgot the game is played by actually hitting a ball.

Hi, I have a question on the backswing that is more of a personal feeling: does anyone here purposely think out bending the right elbow on the backswing? Or should that happen naturally without needing to worry about it? Any suggestions appreciated. Also, I couldn't find a thread related to this, so I just started a new topic.

Edited by badatputt

Note: This thread is 1209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!