IGNORED

Ball Drops Out of the Sky

Note: This thread is 1207 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm an older player so my swing speed is not what it use to be, more like 85 MPH with a driver. One thing I have noticed is that when I hit my 3W, or any other wood or long iron, the ball starts out on a nice arch and when it reaches it's peak it appears to just drop out of the sky, I mean like straight down, big loss of yardage. Someone told me I'm putting a lot of backspin on the ball, if that is the case how do I stop that? (I don't think that is the problem though).

Any thoughts? 

• Administrator

Well, perception is often not reality, so… what does a launch monitor tell you?

It’s unlikely that you’re putting too much spin on the ball. Do you regularly see rising balls into even slight winds? Have you checked into playing a different kind of ball?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm a newbie to golf, so take that into consideration in reading my following comments.

From what I understand of golf ball flight dynamics: Too much backspin is not the cause of the ball suddenly plunging nearly straight down from the apex of its flight, but more likely too little.

From what I understand of how backspin is imparted to the ball: Decreased backspin could be consistent with your lower swing speed.  You might need more loft or more shaft flex than you used to?

Edited by SEMI_Duffer

There was a driving range in Bellingham a few years ago where the balls had been pounded for so long the dimples were nearly gone. There I used to frequently see the knuckleball flight you describe. The ball would look like it was starting to head out nicely then, suddenly, it would dive for the mat like a paid off boxer. I think, for me, it was a combination of dead golf balls and a very poor swing causing a lack of adequate ball spin as @SEMI_Dufferdescribed.

20 hours ago, iacas said:

Well, perception is often not reality, so… what does a launch monitor tell you?

It’s unlikely that you’re putting too much spin on the ball. Do you regularly see rising balls into even slight winds? Have you checked into playing a different kind of ball?

Haven't been on a launch monitor in a while but the last time I read my swing speed, 85 - 87 MPH with a driver, carry was maybe 180 to 200. That was with a M3 driver in the store, not my driver, (I know I should take my driver into the store and compare). I'm using a Cobra F-Max driver which I like.

Wind does have an effect on my distance especially when hitting into it,

I play new Titleist balls, not Pro V1s. I've tried different balls which for me don't appear to make that much of a difference, except the KIrkland ball, I don't like them. Based on a post here in TST I bought a box of Vice Tour balls, I'm going to try them. I thought maybe I needed a softer compression but I'm not an expert on balls, just what I've researched for people with slow swing speeds. 

18 hours ago, SEMI_Duffer said:

I'm a newbie to golf, so take that into consideration in reading my following comments.

From what I understand of golf ball flight dynamics: Too much backspin is not the cause of the ball suddenly plunging nearly straight down from the apex of its flight, but more likely too little.

From what I understand of how backspin is imparted to the ball: Decreased backspin could be consistent with your lower swing speed.  You might need more loft or more shaft flex than you used to?

Hmmm, haven't though of that. I'm using a 10.5 degree driver, maybe I should look into a 12 degree driver. I use a standard flex shaft, stock from the factory. I've never played around with different shafts, I know nothing about them. I don't understand kick points, etc. and what they do. Maybe I should go to the PGA Superstore by me and talk with them.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

There was a driving range in Bellingham a few years ago where the balls had been pounded for so long the dimples were nearly gone. There I used to frequently see the knuckleball flight you describe. The ball would look like it was starting to head out nicely then, suddenly, it would dive for the mat like a paid off boxer. I think, for me, it was a combination of dead golf balls and a very poor swing causing a lack of adequate ball spin as @SEMI_Dufferdescribed.

I'm using new Titleist balls and still have the problem. You're right my swing may be screwed up but I hit them straight 80% of the time but as I said they just drop out of the sky and I get little roll. Very frustrating.

Note: This thread is 1207 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!