IGNORED

Returning Player With Irons Question

Note: This thread is 1196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello All, New guy here who was lurking a while and now I have a question so joined up.  Hope I can get some feedback.

I played 4+ times a month when I was in the late 20's into my early 30's.  If you took my horrendous putting out of the loop I'd be a low handicapper.  I had way too many 3 putts or even more!  Iron striking was always my strength.  I was playing with some Mizuno blades back then but I honestly have no idea the model, I sold them when I needed to take a break.

Now I am 50, rounder in the mid section, several back injuries, and I am back to playing!  My oldest boy wanted to start playing so we picked up a beginner set for him (Callaway Edge from Costco) and I went out and picked up some Honma TW 747 V with Nippon Modus 105 Stiff thinking that would be similar to my old clubs. (can you see where this is going??)

Well, being older, rounder and less stretchy means my swing speed is way down!  Irons dropped from the 90's to the 70's unless I get on it.  My 7 iron carry went from 165 easily to the 145-150-ish range.  This is using the Costco balls currently out, grabbed those when we got the kids clubs.  I did take a lesson last week (my first "real" lesson) with my kids instructor who is a Plane Truth Certified guy and seems my swing is also now a two plane swing and more upright than I remember.  I am striking the ball well for 7-8/10 shots with the mishits usually either off the toe or I am pulling left due to mechanics.

So here goes my questions finally - should I stick with the stiff shafts I have?  My instructor seems to think I will gain some speed back once I get out more (I've only been playing again for a little over a month).  I am tall at 6'2" with long arms but I just cant get the shoulder turn going right now, back is too stiff.  

Should I consider some "hotter" irons?  I keep reading about all these new hot faced irons that can *add great distance at same swing speeds* claims. BUT - I also notice a lot of these new hot irons (even my kids) have crazy strong lofts!  I dont want distance to be because my 7 iron suddenly turned into a 6 iron.  If I want to hit a 6 iron loft I will grab my 6!!  Personally I dont care about my ego being massaged by club makers telling me I can hit my 7i 15 yards longer when they made the loft stronger than my current 6.  It's not just distance I would want to gain, I want to keep the control as well so some of the super low spin numbers also concern me.

Now, I dont shape shots much.  I never did.  I am a point and shoot guy.  I aim and my shots go near dead straight or maybe a very slight fade on my 4 and 5i.  Even my woods are mostly straight shots.  So workability isnt a big factor for me but I do play by feel a lot.  Main reason I switched to blades over 16 years ago.  Loved that feeling when hit pure and when I missed I knew it immediately.  I will also be the first to admit that when it comes to a forged club there isnt much tech at all, its a lump of soft steel on a shaft.  You can only do so much to one!  

So what say you all?  Stick with my Honma 747 V?  Paid a sweet price for them so cant complain at all and they do feel nice when pure.  Look for some slightly more modern clubs?  Go to a softer shaft?  

I'm in no position to be offering advice, per se, but, were I in your shoes I think I'd start by trying to get as much of my flexibility back as I could.  That will aid you regardless of what clubs you're swinging.  And not just with golf, but in every physical aspect of your life.  (I'm a bit of a fitness junkie, recently fallen from grace, and just beginning to work towards getting myself back into shape.)

I forgot to add to above - 

What I am looking for isnt just distance, I think everyone would be happy to hit it a bit farther.  My goals are mainly just to make it easy and fun to play.  I am not trying to be competitive nor do I play in a league.  I am out playing with my kid enjoying the time with him.  I feel like with my Honma I still need to concentrate hard and get a good swing in to get the most out of them which is understandable and all well and good but some days I want to be a little lazier!  

Also wanted to add, I tried my kids Callaway Edge with R flex shafts.  1) I HATE that offset.  It throws me and my ball flight off.  I lost a lot of consistency with dispersion.  2) I am not a huge fan of the looks at address due to size but I could get over that to be honest if it made a huge difference in my play.  The shafts "felt" fine but I definitely noticed the stronger lofts.  

First, nothing will take the place of a proper fitting, but if you have decent clubs now (and you do), there's no real need to run out and buy something new.  I'll share my current choices, maybe that will give you some comfort in what you have.

I'm 65, have been playing regularly all my life, and currently play to about a 5 handicap.  Until this Spring, my 7-iron distance was pretty similar to yours, playing Titleist AP2 with stiff shafts.  I recently changed to a more forgiving clubhead, the T200, and was again fit into stiff shafts.  Based only on that, you may be just fine staying with your current clubs.  And the forged cavity-back irons should be a good compromise, forged feel with a little forgiveness.  

As for more modern clubheads, my T200s are about 3 or 4 degrees stronger loft than the old AP2s.  And yes, I'm about a club longer.  On the other hand, the clubhead design seems to launch the ball higher than you'd expect, based on the stronger loft.  The end result is basically that my 150-yard club launches a little higher than my previous 150-yard club.  So when you do start looking, there's no reason to avoid the game improvement clubs.

Welcome back to golf, and welcome to TheSandTrap!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Welcome back to golf, and welcome to TheSandTrap!

Thanks, I am having fun swinging clubs again after the long break.  I am not sure I am where I am at play wise to want to go all in on a fitting just yet.  Main goal is to have fun with kid for now.  I feel like 16 years should be a lot of time for golf tech to improve!  Next up will be my woods, I am still playing very old woods - a Ping i3 3 wood and a Cobra 427 SS driver!  

If I do go irons I have been intrigued by all the DTC offerings like Sub 70, Maltby, New Level, etc.  I really dont care what the name is on my club.  If the ball goes where I aim and into the hole then I am happy!  

3 minutes ago, ASD Dad said:

Thanks, I am having fun swinging clubs again after the long break.  I am not sure I am where I am at play wise to want to go all in on a fitting just yet.  Main goal is to have fun with kid for now.  I feel like 16 years should be a lot of time for golf tech to improve!  Next up will be my woods, I am still playing very old woods - a Ping i3 3 wood and a Cobra 427 SS driver!  

If I do go irons I have been intrigued by all the DTC offerings like Sub 70, Maltby, New Level, etc.  I really dont care what the name is on my club.  If the ball goes where I aim and into the hole then I am happy!  

Again just an opinion, but I think the tech has made a much bigger difference in the drivers, and to a slightly smaller extent to the fairway woods and hybrids.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Again just an opinion, but I think the tech has made a much bigger difference in the drivers, and to a slightly smaller extent to the fairway woods and hybrids.

Oh I agree!  Especially with forged blades like my Honmas.  There is only so much milling and grinding to be done on a block of steel.  I think you can optimize things better, especially the sole grind, but the actual performance of the head I dont think there is much to be gained.  

New drivers, hybrids, etc. all look to have a ton more tech.  Not sure I like the new driver pricing so will probably look DTC or a season old for me!  Once I get my irons sorted my woods are definitely next.  I already picked up a new putter, I got a new EVNRoll ER5 after many trips to a demo green and having my kids instructor watch my stroke.  So far I love it!  Much different than my old Anser style TaylorMade...

1 hour ago, ASD Dad said:

I really dont care what the name is on my club.  If the ball goes where I aim and into the hole then I am happy!  

That's where I'm at.  Mind you: I'm a gear-head and like to experiment.  But, still: The TaylorMade CB clone irons I was gifted work well for me, so I'm not hot to go out and spend $600-$1600 on a new set of irons.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I don't know as that's quite as true as it once was.  Callaway's, Srixon's, and Cobra's latest offerings in irons are quite intriguing.  Cobra's new RADSPEED irons, in particular, may make me rethink just how attached I am to my current irons ;).

So basically you're looking for a new set of clubs, irons then woods, maybe hybrids. IMO you should wait until you get a little more flexible and work on your swing then go get a fitting for a full set, (assuming money is not an issue). I have been fitted many times through the years as my physical condition has changed, (age, three back surgeries, etc., I'm 69 now), and have found each fitting and club selection to be very helpful. 

I too do not shape the ball, never could, I want straight maybe a little fade, and that is what I have although distance is a problem for me with all my clubs except of course my wedges. That is what I am working on, distance.

If you're going to buy a new set of clubs enjoy the search, I would try everything you can get your hands on, talk to more then one fitter, don't forget to bring you current clubs with you to the fittings to judge the gain your getting. 

Have fun and welcome back to the game

Note: This thread is 1196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!