IGNORED

Does Anyone Know the Rules?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you carry a rules book AND know the rules?

• No and no.
    • I carry a book but I don't know the rules.
    • No book, but I know all the rules.
    • I've got a book and I know the rules, too!

Still on the first cup of coffee. Thanks for the correction.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you hit your tee shot in the woods, water, out of bounds, in the rough, even on the fairway, you can re-tee and take stroke and distance. Your original ball is then out of play so long as you do not declare your re-tee a provisional.

If you roll your tee shot into tall wet fescue in front of the tee that's almost impossible to hit out of, you can re-tee for stroke and distance so long as you do not declare your re-tee a provisional.

If you declare it a provisional then you must play the original ball in all cases unless the ball is lost or out of bounds or in the water.

If your driver inadvertently knocks the ball off the tee before you actually make a swing you may re-tee the ball with no penalty.

If you whiff the ball and while making an effort to hit the ball on the tee and your ball remains on the tee, you are now hitting two.

Fixed

two of you missed the real question, I think.  Just because I can take a stroke and distance penalty on my tee stroke does not mean I can re-tee.  Or does it?  When can you re-tee, and when must you take a drop on teeing ground?  Again, I'm not looking for any persons' opinion.  I'm looking for the exact rule or decision.

two of you missed the real question, I think.  Just because I can take a stroke and distance penalty on my tee stroke does not mean I can re-tee.  Or does it?  When can you re-tee, and when must you take a drop on teeing ground?  Again, I'm not looking for any persons' opinion.  I'm looking for the exact rule or decision.

I'm confused as to why you would "have to take a drop in the teeing ground." It's either 3 off the tee or a drop from the hazard or a rehit. Are you saying that they can't retee if they choose to play from the tee box again if it went into the hazard? I don't know but my guess would be that you cannot retee again.

If your first shot was on the tee in the tee box, and you take a stroke and distance penalty, you may hit that shot off a tee in the tee box without further penalty.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Are you saying that they can't retee if they choose to play from the tee box again if it went into the hazard?

I don't know but my guess would be that you cannot retee again.

I'm not sure it's expressly stated in the rules, but I'll take a stab at it. Playing under stroke and distance is supposed to allow a 'replay' from the same spot / condition under penalty of a stroke. If you were striking a ball from the tee (starting the hole) then it remains a teeing ground with the appropriate rules of re-teeing. If you happened to hit a ball onto a tee box after teeing off (fairly struck at - not tapped off the tee) and it was in play and then you hit a shot into a hazard then you would have to play the ball down if you elected to take stroke and distance as you had played off the tee already. I think the teeing ground changes in definition under the rules to 'through the green' once the tee shot is put in play - unless you are replaying that tee shot under an appropriate rule.

By this thinking - which I'm not certain of - you could re-tee after hitting into either a yelow or red staked water hazard if taking stroke and distance.

Kevin

Other than anger or ego...or some bizarre situation where the drop zone has a tree before it and the green or where the tee box is only like 70 yards to the green and there is a bunker in front of the drop zone.......why would someone ever retee?

I'm not sure it's expressly stated in the rules,

me neither, but I have said such a thing before and someone with access to the complete book of golf decisions usually produces the answer

Other than anger or ego...or some bizarre situation where the drop zone has a tree before it and the green or where the tee box is only like 70 yards to the green and there is a bunker in front of the drop zone.......why would someone ever retee?

Well it's probably more common with approach shots, but a tee shot could be way off line - last crossing the other side (on the next hole) of a yellow hazard such that replaying / re-teeing would be preferable to the drop.

Kevin

Quote:

Originally Posted by tqcishark

I'm confused as to why you would "have to take a drop in the teeing ground."

It's either 3 off the tee or a drop from the hazard or a rehit.

Are you saying that they can't retee if they choose to play from the tee box again if it went into the hazard?

I don't know but my guess would be that you cannot retee again.

You can not only re-tee, but you can play under stroke and distance from anywhere within the teeing ground - it doesn't have to be from the same spot.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I think this is what you're looking for (bolded part is what you're after):

When a player elects or is required to make his next stroke from where a previous stroke was made, he must proceed as follows:

(a) On the Teeing Ground: The ball to be played must be played from within the teeing ground. It may be played from anywhere within the teeing ground and may be teed.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 3230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!