IGNORED

Second Cortisone Injection Today

It's been a little more than a year since I can last remember hitting golf balls and today I just got my second cortisone injection in 11 months. I thought maybe shortly after the first injection I was going to be able to start playing again with therapy but the pain while doing my backswing past halfway just didn't subside like just lifting my hands up in the air did. So today the Orthopedic surgeon put more in the backside of the shoulder than before to address the tendon more. I'm going to try therapy for another 3 months and if I  can't swing the club without pain then I think surgery is going to be my next option.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, flopster said:

It's been a little more than a year since I can last remember hitting golf balls and today I just got my second cortisone injection in 11 months. I thought maybe shortly after the first injection I was going to be able to start playing again with therapy but the pain while doing my backswing past halfway just didn't subside like just lifting my hands up in the air did. So today the Orthopedic surgeon put more in the backside of the shoulder than before to address the tendon more. I'm going to try therapy for another 3 months and if I  can't swing the club without pain then I think surgery is going to be my next option.

Be diligent with the PT.   Good luck 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

My right knee is still bothering me from my last stroll on the course last year.  ( the front left. Hurts when I flex it a certain way) I tried every thing I can think of. A cortisone shot or surgery is next. I had it for months now 🙄

whats In the bag. 
Callaway epic max LS

Cobra Fmax 3,5 woods 

Titleist 4 hybrid 

5,6,7,8,9,pw,S,gap,60 cobra ltdx 

sabertooth putter

If PT doesn't work, then all other options (shots) are just temporary bandages of the pain. You may do more damage. Pain is the bodies way of telling you to STOP. Once you get rid of that, you are just now using an already damaged body part and put more stress and strain on it. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, rocket23 said:

My right knee is still bothering me from my last stroll on the course last year.  ( the front left. Hurts when I flex it a certain way) I tried every thing I can think of. A cortisone shot or surgery is next. I had it for months now 🙄

I'm fighting a knee as well as a foot so I "Feel your pain".  Luckily for me the PT is helping at this time and I am hoping knee surgery is not imminent.  Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

If PT doesn't work, then all other options (shots) are just temporary bandages of the pain. You may do more damage. Pain is the bodies way of telling you to STOP. Once you get rid of that, you are just now using an already damaged body part and put more stress and strain on it. 

Yes I agree with everything you've said, before the first injection I couldn't lift my arm without pain and then shortly after the injection and a couple weeks of pt the pain was gone and still is so I'm just hoping I may get lucky twice sort-of like lightning and the same spot chances but we'll see. It's just I haven't been able to swing a golf club with a backswing more than waist high and that just won't do at all I'm only 58 and have been a single digit index for well over half my life so far and having my swing speed cut below 80 or more is something I'm just not quite ready for, I don't mean to offend anyone It's just I'm not ready for that yet I know we all get older and the body loses strength and flexibility I just think I still got a good chunk left.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
bushnell V2 slope edition

I was once told by a CRNA to never get the shots around any joint. They are band aids as mentioned above and he stated they will actually deteriorate the joint. I am no doctor obviously, just relaying what I was told when I was having knee trouble.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

6 hours ago, TN94z said:

I was once told by a CRNA to never get the shots around any joint. They are band aids as mentioned about and he stated they will actually deteriorate the joint. I am no doctor obviously, just relaying what I was told when I was having knee trouble.

Neither is the CRNA….🙂

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

22 hours ago, saevel25 said:

This is a decision lots of us have to make, or will have to, as we age.  I've been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left shoulder.  This is just age and use-related deterioration of the joint.  So far, a combination of specific exercises and topically applied anti-inflammatory has controlled the pain.  But there's no question that the joint will continue to wear, and playing and practicing golf will accelerate the wear.   That's life, I'm going to keep playing, and deal with future deterioration as it happens.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 3/29/2024 at 9:10 PM, Vinsk said:

Neither is the CRNA….🙂

Agreed.  You're a doctor I assume?

Bryan A

On 3/29/2024 at 10:10 PM, Vinsk said:

Neither is the CRNA….🙂

What say you doc? 

On 3/29/2024 at 10:08 AM, saevel25 said:

I think body systems aren't above sending overly exaggerated signals either. IMHO it is worth calling out the bluff once or twice. I understand steroids 'dry out' bones and is a not a great long term strategy but can't be worse than structural surgery (usually) which comes with it's own collateral issues. 

Vishal S.

5 hours ago, TN94z said:

Agreed.  You're a doctor I assume?

I am.🙂. And to that point, it’s incorrect to tell someone to ‘never get a steroid injection.’ Obviously long term isn’t the desired regimen. But that blanket statement is like telling someone to never use acetaminophen for a headache because it’s bad for your liver. 

• Informative 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

13 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I am.🙂. And to that point, it’s incorrect to tell someone to ‘never get a steroid injection.’ Obviously long term isn’t the desired regimen. But that blanket statement is like telling someone to never use acetaminophen for a headache because it’s bad for your liver. 

I do not disagree with that.

Bryan A

I’ve had cortisone shots in my knees (osteoarthritis) and SI joint. Both were done to reduce the inflammation in the area to mitigate pain and allow me to rehab. The long term solution was to built up strength in my core for the back and legs for the knees, which I have done. It’s taken years for me to get to this point. The shots were worth it to get me started.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I’m waiting approval for another cortisone shot, but it sounds like I’m headed for another knee surgery. I feel your pain, literally. 

- Shane

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to share a quick update with everyone. I went to the range the week before last, even though I took it easy no significant pain occurred just a slight twinge when I swung my #4 hybrid. The most encouraging news was no soreness the next morning. However I think switching back to graphite shafts is definitely gonna happen, my mp15's were fitted with X shafts and having something lighter will help.

\

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW